• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crappy First Issue Collectors Thread! Read at Your Own Risk
1 1

151 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I didn’t mind her as a supporting character in X-Men.

Claremont / Silvestri period.

Same. She's actually one of my favorite characters during that era. The solo title never really grabbed me, though.

It was limited, but I enjoyed her appearance in the x-men cartoon. But ya when she has purpose in a story, like x-men, it fit. I like the character jubilee too, but they seem to have limited plotlines that make them useful  idk lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It was limited, but I enjoyed her appearance in the x-men cartoon. But ya when she has purpose in a story, like x-men, it fit. I like the character jubilee too, but they seem to have limited plotlines that make them useful  idk lol

You are against mutants with light based powers!

Shame on you! 

:baiting:

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Same. She's actually one of my favorite characters during that era. The solo title never really grabbed me, though.

I liked the Dazzler  run. Was sorta like Rom started out ok, got a bit cheesy then got better and better till cancellation.

Edited by Morganmi

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

There were a few cool stories in her own mag!

The ones where she gets Black bolt to scream at her to supercharge her powers & alot of the early Rogue & Mystique appearances were pretty cool! 

Also The Sienkiewicz covers were pretty cool!

Good books to pick up @ a 50c sale IMO! 

A classic character created by Rob Liefeld.  Incredible that the first series of his comic only lasted one issue.

643697.jpg

A beacon of 90s originality, and figurework which defined a decade ...

ba5.jpg

A second series was published, but again, an unappreciative public led to only one issue appearing...

705033.jpg

And, then, a farewell one-shot to an audience with no discernible taste...

703121.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

A classic character created by Rob Liefeld.  Incredible that the first series of his comic only lasted one issue.

643697.jpg

ba5.jpg

A second series was published, but again, an unappreciative public led to only one issue appearing...

705033.jpg

703121.jpg

:sick:

This "art" is making me ill! 

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

643697.jpg

ba5.jpg

705033.jpg

703121.jpg

What if Wolverine & Puck had a kid....

drawn by Leifeld:insane:

19 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

643697.jpg

ba5.jpg

705033.jpg

703121.jpg

I've often thought that Liefeld likely created Troll one day while drawing Wolverine. He realized that his anatomy was even worse than usual, so he just leaned into the deformity and turned him into Troll.

Troll is an ongoing joke with one of my oldest friends, and is generally shorthand for "worst comic ever." I used to buy them when I foudn them in 50 cent bins and give them to him. One year I found a great NM set of all of the Troll books, specials, etc. and autographed one of them "Wolverine" on the front cover. Then I mailed them to him. 

So, basically, if there's ever a bump in Troll sales, it's because I'm buying them as part of a dumb, never-ending joke.

16 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

So, basically, if there's ever a bump in Troll sales, it's because I'm buying them as part of a dumb, never-ending joke.

A 9.8 would look fantastic with a matching Sonic Disruptors slab.

Edited by Ken Aldred

41 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

A lot of licensed properties use stories adapted from the original medium. :gossip:

Yeah, especially at that time. Most comics based on movies were just straight adaptations. Aliens from Dark Horse was groundbreaking in that it told a continuation of the stories from the films. Now Comics also did Twilight Zone comics, didn't they? I wonder if those were all new stories as well. Not to mention Speed Racer, Green Hornet, Fright Night...Now had a pretty diverse line up of licensed titles.

7 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Now Comics also did Twilight Zone comics, didn't they? I wonder if those were all new stories as well.

The first one-shot issue by Harlan Ellison and Neal Adams was, as was the first issue of the continued series.

The Hellraiser prestige format comics were as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

The first one-shot issue by Harlan Ellison and Neal Adams was, as was the first issue of the continued series.

The Hellraiser prestige format comics were as well.

Oh yes, loved the Hellraiser series! My LCS got a full set in a week or two ago, I should probably scoop those up.

14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Oh yes, loved the Hellraiser series! My LCS got a full set in a week or two ago, I should probably scoop those up.

Good stuff.  They were quite inventive stories.