• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Stan Lee use a ghost writer??
2 2

106 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

The story that I read about most often is that Stan Lee thought Jack Kirby's version of Spider-Man looked "too heroic". So the book was given to Steve Ditko. Is the gospel truth? We'll never really know now.

Stan's story about Kirby's Spidey looking too heroic falls apart when you look at the covers he decided to use for both AF#15 and ASM#1.

1 hour ago, kustomizer said:

Stan's story about Kirby's Spidey looking too heroic falls apart when you look at the covers he decided to use for both AF#15 and ASM#1.

But I think it was done before the Ditko version and was intended for Amazing Fantasy #15 before Kirby was either taken off the project or opted off doing it.

It was probably supposed to have been part of Spidey's origin story. Stan Lee most likely just wanted to print the seemingly pointless Kirby version in FF Annual #1 as he would have already paid Kirby for the work.

Interestingly, Kirby had also drawn the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #1, although Ditko drew them all (except #10) after that.

As mentioned in the italicized portion, maybe Stan just didn't want to pay to have the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #1 redone. If you have ever looked at Ditko's version of the cover of Amazing Fantasy #15, Kirby's version vs. Ditko's version are very different. Also, another story I have heard is that Stan rejected Ditko's cover because he didn't like to see the undersides of Spider-Man's feet.

I am not citing either of my accounts as "the Gospel truth". I am just relying on what I have read/heard.

2 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

But I think it was done before the Ditko version and was intended for Amazing Fantasy #15 before Kirby was either taken off the project or opted off doing it.

It was probably supposed to have been part of Spidey's origin story. Stan Lee most likely just wanted to print the seemingly pointless Kirby version in FF Annual #1 as he would have already paid Kirby for the work.

Interestingly, Kirby had also drawn the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #1, although Ditko drew them all (except #10) after that.

As mentioned in the italicized portion, maybe Stan just didn't want to pay to have the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #1 redone. If you have ever looked at Ditko's version of the cover of Amazing Fantasy #15, Kirby's version vs. Ditko's version are very different. Also, another story I have heard is that Stan rejected Ditko's cover because he didn't like to see the undersides of Spider-Man's feet.

I am not citing either of my accounts as "the Gospel truth". I am just relying on what I have read/heard.

Yes, Kirby's cover for AF#15 is far more heroic and dynamic than Ditko's much funkier version (which is still pretty awesome). But I wonder why Stan went with the more heroic version if that's the image he was trying to avoid?

AF 15 both covers.jpg

5 hours ago, kustomizer said:

Yes, Kirby's cover for AF#15 is far more heroic and dynamic than Ditko's much funkier version (which is still pretty awesome). But I wonder why Stan went with the more heroic version if that's the image he was trying to avoid?

Alas, we'll never know now.

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

10 hours ago, kustomizer said:

AF 15 both covers.jpg

Stan had issues at times with a books cover layout. A number of Kirby covers didn’t make the cut either. The Kirby version was the better layout between the two for newsstands. It’s not that surprising is it? It was discussed by him in the past. The Spider-Man covers that were by Kirby and used are a bit toned down if you’ve seen his other drawings of the character which I’m sure made a difference. Some of his drawings of Spider-Man were pretty rough. Kirby was better most of the time with cover layouts which is why Stan wanted some others to try and copy that “dynamic action” aspect of Kirby but even he had rejects by Stan at times.

On 9/25/2020 at 6:00 AM, Unca Ben said:

Yep.  Revisionist history at its worst.

Kirby brought Stan a few pages of his first Spider-Man story which was very similar to Simon & Kirby's the Fly.  Stan rejected this version.
Stan then gave the project to Ditko, who designed the costume and drew the AF15 story.
Stan did not like Ditko's submitted cover, so he had Kirby re-do it.  This was after he gave the Spidey project to Ditko.

Kirby's memory was all over the place in some interviews, contradicting himself more than once.  He was clearly angry at times.  If Kirby created Spidey and his costume, that goes against what Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, and Eric Stanton (among others) have all said. 

Look at Spidey and see if he resembles other Kirby creations or Ditko creations. hm

When Kirby's Spidey was inked by Ditko, it looked okay.  Ditko corrected things while inking.  When Kirby was inked by someone other than Ditko, it looked a mess, like Strange tales Ann 2 cover and TTA 57 cover.
Kirby could never get the webbing patterns or details right (see covers of ST An 2, ASM 10, TTA 57).    No chest symbol in ST Annual.  No big red back spider symbol on TTA 57.
If Kirby designed Spidey's costume, then why did he leave out so many important details when he drew it later on, and have such problems with the webbing?

Kirby had obvious difficulty drawing Spidey, so if Spider-Man and his costume were Kirby's creation, then why was this so?

Interesting but strange subject this one, of course Spider-Man was co-created by Lee and Ditko. In fairness Ditko also had trouble to keep the webbing on his costume consistent. In practically every panel there was a mistake with the webbing going the opposite way on the left and right gloves and boots. Compare both of his gloves on the cover of ASM #2 the first one of Ditko, the webs are in opposite directions. This problem continues throughout the issue. Likewise for issue #3. There's even a full-page pinup in that issue where Ditko gets it wrong on the gloves again. Also, Spider-Man's "belt" has either one or two horizontal weblines depending on the panel. Maybe this goes on all the way to his last issue but I don't have all day : )

So the inability to keep the webs consistent is not a good argument against Kirby but I think Kirby was just not expressing himself properly about creating the costume.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:25 PM, KCOComics said:

I know the guy who runs Tellshiar.com 

He collects marvel memorabile has some really cool stuff. I wonder if he discovered the Ben Cooper catalog? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-SPIDERMAN-BEN-COOPER-COSTUME-Pre-Amazing-Fantasy-15-MMMS-Marvelmania/124351597610?hash=item1cf3eecc2a:g:yHQAAOSwDa1fbT1P

9 hours ago, Aman619 said:

The 2 versions by Kirby and Ditko really can’t be compared fairly in color because were polored at different times and for different uses. Kirbys was treated seriously as it was to actually be published as the cover of a new comic.  But ditkos, having been killed and only appeared years later as a fun filler page in an annual just got colored as such, ending up brighter and less serious.  Years ago I imagined what Ditkos cover might have looked like if given the same feel as Kirbys did. 

AF15-DitkoCGC.jpg

Nice job! That looks really good. The Ditko cover is fine, and really is more dynamic than Kirby's. Ditko just makes some mistakes with the webbing around the chest, and the boot webbing is curving in the wrong direction.

Edited by Steven Valdez

thanx.  I have issues with some of Ditkos choices, like, do we need the guy in the window? In order to fit him in, looks like Spidey will crash into the building!  And Kirbys viewpoint is looking upward which is more heroic, whereas In Ditko's we are looking downward at him.  But side by side with same graphics and color palette its closer to a tossup to me.

AF15-DitkoCGC-no-guy.jpg

Edited by Aman619

22 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

thanx.  I have issues with some of Ditkos choices, like, do we need the guy in the window? In order to fit him in, looks like Spidey will crash into the building!  And Kirbys viewpoint is looking upward which is more heroic, whereas In Ditko's we are looking downward at him.  But side by side with same graphics and color palette its closer to a tossup to me.

AF15-DitkoCGC-no-guy.jpg

I’m glad they went with the Kirby cover.