• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GREENSBORO COMIC-CON OCT 8-9 --- WRIGHTSON

39 posts in this topic

since about at third of the trip for native Charlotteans is getting out of the city

Is traffic in Charlotte bad? confused-smiley-013.gif

define "bad."

note beforehand that nearly any commonly accepted definition of bad will result in a "yes" response from me

Ever been to DC/Metro area? How does it compare to that?

since about at third of the trip for native Charlotteans is getting out of the city

Is traffic in Charlotte bad? confused-smiley-013.gif

define "bad."

note beforehand that nearly any commonly accepted definition of bad will result in a "yes" response from me

Ever been to DC/Metro area? How does it compare to that?

probably proportionally about the same for a good portion of the rush hours (here these are considered to be from 7-9a and 4-7p), especially on major arteries in and out of town. we've got only 1.2-something million in the immediate area, but it's been getting steadily worse.

major, major delays are a rarity. delays are commonplace. going to work in the mornings - 6.4 miles by my odometer's measure - takes me about 30 minutes during the rush hour, and about ten minutes in the dead of night.

my initial comment was geared around the fact that the most common way of getting onto I-85 from anywhere but North Charlotte is 99% of the time backed up to a crawl

Was thinking about trying to get a group of local forum members to meet at the Parts Unknown Comic Con in Greensboro, NC on Saturday, October 8. The show is put on annually by Parts Unknown, a comic book shop in Greensboro. I went last year for the first time, and it is a nice, small (maybe 20 ?) exhibitors. The special guest last year was William Stout, with some incredible artwork. This year's special guest is BERNIE WRIGHTSON!!! I figure all the local DC Bronze horror group would be interested. I talked with my friend, Arexcrooke, and he was trying to get a bunch together for the show. Maybe, even do a Forum luncheon or something!!!??? Anyway, let's hear from you, if you're interested in going. Here's a flyer I picked up about the show...

920881-con-flyer.jpg

Can somebody who is going to this show get me a three minute sketch from Wrightson? I'm putting together a book of sketches done by artists throughout the industry, all sketches done in three minutes or less. When the book is filled up, it will be auctioned off for ACTOR next year at the Baltimore show. The sketch should be on a backing board, and can be ANYTHING the artist wants, done in three minutes or less. The book is currently with my partner in London, where he's getting art from people based in Europe. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Artists represented in the book so far include:

John Romita Sr.

Ayers

Rob Liefeld

Howard Chaykin

Jim Starlin

Walt Simonson

Frank Cho

Michael Turner

JK Snyder

Terry Moore

Tony Moore

Terry Austin

Tim Truman

Mike Kaluta

Jim Steranko

Mike Wieringo

... and our very own Rob Larsen

plus probably 200 more. If somebody wants to do this, I'd appreciate it greatly - I'll buy you a big cookie at the next forum dinner. PM me for details. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Can somebody who is going to this show get me a three minute sketch from Wrightson? I'm putting together a book of sketches done by artists throughout the industry, all sketches done in three minutes or less. When the book is filled up, it will be auctioned off for ACTOR next year at the Baltimore show. The sketch should be on a backing board, and can be ANYTHING the artist wants, done in three minutes or less. The book is currently with my partner in London, where he's getting art from people based in Europe. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

John Romita Sr.

Ayers

Rob Liefeld

Howard Chaykin

Jim Starlin

Walt Simonson

Frank Cho

Michael Turner

JK Snyder

Terry Moore

Tony Moore

Terry Austin

Tim Truman

Mike Kaluta

Jim Steranko

Mike Wieringo

plus probably 200 more. If somebody wants to do this, I'd appreciate it greatly - I'll buy you a big cookie at the next forum dinner. PM me for details. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

i'd be happy to ask him for you, if you like.

John Romita Sr.

Ayers

Rob Liefeld

Howard Chaykin

Jim Starlin

Walt Simonson

Frank Cho

Michael Turner

JK Snyder

Terry Moore

Tony Moore

Terry Austin

Tim Truman

Mike Kaluta

Jim Steranko

Mike Wieringo

That would be great. In this thread are pictures of a bunch of them that I picked up in Chicago in August, so you can see the concept. Thanks a bunch!

John Romita Sr.

Ayers

Rob Liefeld

Howard Chaykin

Jim Starlin

Walt Simonson

Frank Cho

Michael Turner

JK Snyder

Terry Moore

Tony Moore

Terry Austin

Tim Truman

Mike Kaluta

Jim Steranko

Mike Wieringo

That would be great. In this thread are pictures of a bunch of them that I picked up in Chicago in August, so you can see the concept. Thanks a bunch!

sure, sure. sketch on a backing board, or what?

John Romita Sr.

Ayers

Rob Liefeld

Howard Chaykin

Jim Starlin

Walt Simonson

Frank Cho

Michael Turner

JK Snyder

Terry Moore

Tony Moore

Terry Austin

Tim Truman

Mike Kaluta

Jim Steranko

Mike Wieringo

sure, sure. sketch on a backing board, or what?

Sketch on a backing board, whatever he wants to do in three minutes. Signing, dating, and putting the time on it don't count against the time, but at three minutes, it comies off the table. Very cool.

please, God, no Hooters.

no offense dude, but their food is terrible. can we go to a local spot, someplace i can't go to for craapy food here in the QC?

please, God, no Hooters.

no offense dude, but their food is terrible. can we go to a local spot, someplace i can't go to for craapy food here in the QC?

Man, i love their food, but we dont have to eat there ans it wont break my heart. Assuming that is thay you buy me something at Chris's booth 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Im sure that there are some local joints around that we can eat at.

Assuming that is thay you buy me something at Chris's booth 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

we can look over his $2 boxes all day if you like, find something nice to take home for the missus

Let me say that if i still lived in North Carolina i would be at this show. The owner of Parts Uknown, John Hitchcock is a true fan of the medium and he has an incredible original art collection. You guys just don't know how impressive it is. He had an exhibit at one of the local colleges and i was blown away. Pages by Toth, Williamson, full original EC stories, the man has a collection that will blow you away. I was able to go to his first four shows and met some true giants, Bolland, Wrightson, Williamson, George Evans, Eisner, to just name a few. John gets those guys because he is a genuine guy and they talk to other pros and they want to come meet true comic fans. It is a small show in the amount of books there for sale, but you get to meet creators up close and personal. It was nice having a conversation with Williamson and Wrightson. Got an awesome sketch from Al personalized for me. If you like a smaller setting where you can talk comics and not have to push and shove, hit this show. Wish i could meet you guys there, but Austin is a little far these days. Traffic in Greensboro is not bad at all as it is a city of about 225K people. Charlotte is not bad either considering its size. Hope you guys have a good time.