• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If Canadian Price Variats are so rare,why are they so cheap?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yup

If people don't like the fact that Canadian Price variants are not all worth more automatically, don't buy them. There are collectors that have to have them and pay more for them on key issues. They are rarer, absolutely. But rarity does not make a comic worth more automatically. If you think it should, well I've got a one-of-a-kind pair of socks with unique holes in them that I am pretty sure are the only ones on the planet. I'll sell them to you for $100.

Anyways, for me personally, I don't care. If I find them, cool...neat! And if I don't, I don't. Attempting to monetize these seems silly to me because, while there are less of them, there are still A LOT of them. You want rarer? How about pence copies from the sixties and seventies. Smaller market, population and amount of printings there. Oh but you dont like how it's not the same currency? Picky picky aren't we! (Hey I am in the same boat lol)

End of the day, if you take 100 collectors and ask them to pick a book to finish their run of whatever, they pick the American versions. You need those 4-5 guys/gals who just have to have the CPV and want to pay more for it in order for them to be more valuable. 

Do they smell? hm

On 9/14/2020 at 6:29 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Yup

If people don't like the fact that Canadian Price variants are not all worth more automatically, don't buy them. There are collectors that have to have them and pay more for them on key issues. They are rarer, absolutely. But rarity does not make a comic worth more automatically. If you think it should, well I've got a one-of-a-kind pair of socks with unique holes in them that I am pretty sure are the only ones on the planet. I'll sell them to you for $100.

Anyways, for me personally, I don't care. If I find them, cool...neat! And if I don't, I don't. Attempting to monetize these seems silly to me because, while there are less of them, there are still A LOT of them. You want rarer? How about pence copies from the sixties and seventies. Smaller market, population and amount of printings there. Oh but you dont like how it's not the same currency? Picky picky aren't we! (Hey I am in the same boat lol)

End of the day, if you take 100 collectors and ask them to pick a book to finish their run of whatever, they pick the American versions. You need those 4-5 guys/gals who just have to have the CPV and want to pay more for it in order for them to be more valuable. 

That's kind of where I am with it (I was more curious with this post than anything else). I got them dirt cheap (as in cheaper than I've gotten any 90s comic for), and since I can't find a reliable source to price them, they are more display comics than anything (I've got the UV frames and all).

It really shows my Spider-Man fandom when 6 of my 9 display comics are Spider-Man (including the first appearance of Mary Jane Watson) in addition to my Spider-Man PS4 skin and Spider Man collectibles. 😬

8 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Which one? There are 2-4 that can be called that according to some.

Amazing Spiderman #42 (attached is a stock image of the cover). If i remember right, shes only in the last few frames of this one, although its the first time her face is ever seen. I believe she is more fully featured in #43.

Its currently sitting in a bag and board, inside a frame on my wall. That one was the most i ever paid for a comic, but it was still undervalued for its condition (ungraded by an official source, but obviously over a 4 at least from first glance)

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_42.jpg

On 9/14/2020 at 12:01 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Also, the number of CPV issues printed were far less (a fact often forgotten for CPVs, but embellished when the value of APVs are assessed).

CPV Data 2.JPG

CPV Data 1.JPG

The CGC census is bearing this out well.   The populations for CPV's is minuscule, and for the key books that were hits from the get-go we see the same skews in the CPV populations as the regular US editions, but in the range of the CPV populations.