• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help to determine to grade or not to grade

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am trying to figure out some things.   Quick background - I lived in SF for years and purchased a great deal of art - mostly music poster and original art at garage - estate sales.   Along the way I purchased a variety of comics.    I posted several of the original pieces on the forum and had some responses on those which were helpful.

But I am trying to understand how to determine the value in grading and along with that figure out values on unique comics.   A good example is I have a 1st printing Publishers Edition of Slow Death 2.   It has 2 covers - one printed on a silver paper and the second on normal paper.   It is signed by the publisher on the inside cover.    I sent an email to HA Auctions but they shot down the 30 some pieces saying it would not meet the minimum requirements.    

Since I happened to stumble across the more details on this one - I thought I would ask the forum - should I have it graded,   how would I determine the value for the grading as I have searched all over trying to find this limited edition of 100 with no luck on value and finally if it will make a difference in selling it if it is graded at least to give it credibility to have a company like HA even take notice.

I do understand the coin market and grading fairly well but just can't get a basic understanding on comics - maybe these are all abnormal items?    But it is extremely difficult for a newbie to get answers and guidance or where to go to find the answers.   So that is why I am reaching out to this forum.

Any help would be extremely appreciated 

88179ED4-FC6C-41FA-83B4-56320470F831.jpeg

180091C0-BC63-495F-8BFC-1D62CC888930.jpeg

Since there’s such little Data on value, i don’t think Cgc would argue with you whatever cost you personally put in the forms.

so it’s really about how much you want to insure it for.

but hopefully someone here knows more about the value 

good luck

Slow Death #2 - 1970.

The regular book is around $10.00-$20.00 raw, there are several to be found on Ebay listed at that price (but not sold )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slow-Death-2-Last-Gasp-Comics-Richard-Corben-1970/264856359156?hash=item3daaab50f4:g:qCsAAOSwM6hekfzJ

There is also a CGC 9.8 listed on Ebay at $550.00 but as it is still available that suggests the price is too high.

I am not familiar enough with the book to know if your copy is much different then the ones listed on Ebay but as it is an underground and not necessarily widely known it has a limited appeal (as in there are not a lot of buyers looking for the book )

Some information I have found:

1st print December 1972 has 0.50 USD cover price. Regular newsprint and glossy cover.
First 100 copies printed on silver paper. Given to employees and friends of Last Gasp.
2nd print has 0.50 USD cover price. Last Gasp cover logo is white. Page 34 ad is an Amorphia ad.
3rd print has 0.50 USD cover price. Last Gasp cover logo is now yellow. Grey zip-a-tone added to inside front cover.
4th print has 0.50 USD cover price. Page 34 ad is now Mind Candy for the Masses.
5th print has 1.00 USD cover price.
This issue has variants

https://www.comics.org/issue/2124142/

1st print December 1972 has 0.50 USD cover price. Regular newsprint and glossy cover. On the inside front cover, the ghoul figure has no screentone shading, which he does have in subsequent printings. On page 34, there is a graphic for Last Gasp that states "1st Edition," which does not exist on subsequent printings.
First 100 copies printed on silver paper. Given to employees and friends of Last Gasp.

Based on your post, I would say you likely have 1 of the first 100 copies because you mentioned the silver paper.

Do you get it CGC encapsulated?

I don't slab books unless they have suitable value to do so and my cut off is around $150+ and it depends greatly what I have put into the book and what I believe I would get for it in a sale. If it will cost $50 to get the book slabbed then the book needs to have a value that supports that cost. As I don't believe the book would sell for a high amount I would not get it graded.

Are you planning to sell it? Or is it a keeper? That has a bearing on whether you slab it as well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Artboy99

On 9/12/2020 at 4:47 PM, ps383 said:

Since I happened to stumble across the more details on this one - I thought I would ask the forum - should I have it graded,  

No, steer clear away. Your book being signed means CGC will see that as a defect and your book could lose whatever value it might have had . It's best you sell that book ungraded to someone who would appreciate it.

Also, if you want to sell lower value books, try Mycomicshop.com. They have a lower cut off rate for value than Heritage (the Heritage cut off is 5000).

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

No, steer clear away. Your book being signed means CGC will see that as a defect and your book could lose whatever value it might have had . It's best you sell that book ungraded to someone who would appreciate it.

Also, if you want to sell lower value books, try Mycomicshop.com. They have a lower cut off rate for value than Heritage (the Heritage cut off is 5000).

thanks for the help!