• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between 9.8 & 9.0

7 posts in this topic

Just looking through some auctions on eBay and was wondering why 0.8 makes so much difference to the price? When I’m looking for a comic that I love I’d happily make a big saving and buy a 9.0 because I personally think that’s a respectable grade! Hell, I bought an 8.0 the other day because it was signed by Frank Miller.

Edited by Scott Dellar

Play devil’s advocate, try to think of what kind of people collect comics, what kind of people want them graded, what kind of people would pay more In higher grades for them, and also about the economics of supply and demand.  And of course WHY

also it should be noted that Cgc makes up a fairly small portion of the hobby

good luck

10 hours ago, Scott Dellar said:

Just looking through some auctions on eBay and was wondering why 0.8 makes so much difference to the price? When I’m looking for a comic that I love I’d happily make a big saving and buy a 9.0 because I personally think that’s a respectable grade! Hell, I bought an 8.0 the other day because it was signed by Frank Miller.

Rarity, that's it. Same reason why 9.9 is an even bigger difference. If 9.0 is good for you, then that's great.

Edited by William-James88

On 9/13/2020 at 5:19 AM, Scott Dellar said:

Some people chase 9.8s, because it's reasonably the highest grade you will find off the shelf.

In general, the hobby has embraced 9.8 as the standard for high grade books. (The reason is nuanced, but basically for late silver to modern age books, this is the highest grade you can reasonably expect to receive.  A trained hobbyist can recognize a 9.8 book but to accurately call a 9.9 and 10.0 takes a grader trained in CGC's methods.)  This has caused demand for 9.8 books to increase.  Not everyone desires to have their collection contain the highest grade possible, but those who do understand the difficulties and risks of submitting raw books in an effort to get a 9.8, and are willing to pay a premium for them.  The CCG registry also provides incentive for collectors to seek 9.8's of key and non-key books.  People competing on registry sets are very competitive and also willing to pay a premium for higher grade books.  There has also been a bit of bootstrapping; for example in my personal collection.  Generally, I don't really care if I have a 9.8 or a 9.6 or even a 9.4 in my PC, except I know that if I ever try to liquidate, the higher grade will generate a better return.  So, if I am going through the effort and expense to fine a certain book and store it properly for several years, it is better to do that with a 9.8 because the odds are better that the returns will be higher if I ever need to liquidate.