• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent collection from Canada
5 5

225 posts in this topic

:shy:

Those are exciting boxes. I collect a lot of the same series and seeing comprehensive runs of so many series in great shape is a pleasure. The collection is exhaustive, yes, tilted towards Dell and Fawcett from what we saw but know that finding those Fawcetts in the shape they appear to be is a whole lot harder than finding the corresponding Dells. For sure, the Fawcetts are even less collected than the Dells on the whole but that does not mean this was easily put together nor that there might be pockets of interest in those books out there. Who knows what other series are tucked in other boxes. We saw a little early DC Romance / Western cross-overs, there is probably some nice early DC Westerns in there. I am sure that he is getting communications about those and other series as we discuss the videos.

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:
16 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

Curious what he paid, interesting collection but will be tough to sell most of it.

Unless of course there's a bunch of Rifleman #10s...    

Well, that big and long one there for sure lol plus Rawhide Kid 17.  :takeit:

From watching the video, it looks like he didn't really take a close look as he had no detailed idea of what was even in the boxes before he got all of the boxes back home after closing the deal.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Those are exciting boxes. I collect a lot of the same series and seeing comprehensive runs of so many series in great shape is a pleasure. The collection is exhaustive, yes, tilted towards Dell and Fawcett from what we saw but know that finding those Fawcetts in the shape they appear to be is a whole lot harder than finding the corresponding Dells. For sure, the Fawcetts are even less collected than the Dells on the whole but that does not mean this was easily put together nor that there might be pockets of interest in those books out there. Who knows what other series are tucked in other boxes. We saw a little early DC Romance / Western cross-overs, there is probably some nice early DC Westerns in there. I am sure that he is getting communications about those and other series as we discuss the videos.

From watching the video and see how each box was clearly marked with each individual book within the various boxes boarded, bagged, graded, sorted, and clearly dentified, it is obvious to me that the OO was a true comic book collector who spent a lot of loving time compiling and putting this collection together.  :applause:

I somehow highly doubt that this collection of comic books and the rest of the treasured collectibles was sold off by the OO, and more likely sold off by somebody else who was lucky enough to come into possession of it and didn't care about the contents at all.  Definitely sad if this is actually the case as it would appear that accepting any money for it, even though it was most likely only pennies on the dollar was alright for whoever decided to dispose of it.  :(

On 9/13/2020 at 7:56 AM, Azkaban said:

Near Mint :facepalm:

I would definitely agree with you in terms of the comic books themselves, especially with respect to the ones that were already marked as only being in VF/NM condition. (thumbsu

Now, those comic book covers in the binders definitely look pristine fresh and glossy as though they just came right off the printing press.  :luhv:  :takeit:

It's important to remember that a lot of media collectors, of stuff like the Ricky Nelson comics for example, are not nearly as condition conscious as hardcore comics guys.  That's why material like that can bring decent money, raw on ebay.  A guy who collects all Man from UNCLE merchandising is more interested in just completing a GK run, than let's say comics people who want to send only #1 in to try for a 9.8.

Comics collecting has skewed in recent years heavily to high-grade key issues.  But there are still crossover buyers out there who are content to build a mid-grade run, and lots of them seem to gravitate to TV material in particular.  So a run of GK Bonanza (NBC) may generate more interest than an older "singing cowboys" western series (movie) from Fawcett.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:04 AM, cheetah said:

Trigger warning -  the value of the collection fell by 15% the moment the buyer began manhandling the books.

On 9/13/2020 at 9:35 AM, telerites said:
On 9/13/2020 at 8:20 AM, Randall Dowling said:

"Do. Not. Bend. The. Comics!!!"

Yeah I was watching and cringing too.  Someone had taken quite a bit of care protecting those books.

Yes, sort of reminds me of that rather cringe worthy, but definitely enlightening and eye-opening video from CGC of Matt doing the page count on the Superman 1.  hm  

That one there was compariatively worse, considering that it was a Supes 1 and the boys at CGC are supposed to know how to handle a book.  Especially if that's what they do when the cameras are rolling, imagine the manhandling that takes place when the cameras are off.  :fear:

Makes me wonder if that's possibly why some submittors have been complaining about graded slabs coming back with detached centerfolds when they thought their books were fine when first sent in.  (shrug)

He’s got some very nice books though the condition varies greatly.  He has a handful he wants to get graded.  I got into westerns for a while and had nice copies graded.  When I sold them, though, the sale price never covered the grading price. :(

It looks like there are a number of Four Colors in the collection, too.

For $10k, it was likely an amazing bargain.  I could see him getting 10x-25x his original investment.

9 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I got into westerns for a while and had nice copies graded.  When I sold them, though, the sale price never covered the grading price. :(

For $10k, it was likely an amazing bargain.  I could see him getting 10x-25x his original investment.

$10k Canadian is about $6,500 US greenback. Just feel sad for the estate that dumped the entire contents of the storage unit so they would no longer need to pay the monthly lease. Interesting that the vendor referenced an online price guide rather than brand new Overstreet and their steady cowboy prices that have been the same the last 15 years.

4 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

$10k Canadian is about $6,500 US greenback. Just feel sad for the estate that dumped the entire contents of the storage unit so they would no longer need to pay the monthly lease. Interesting that the vendor referenced an online price guide rather than brand new Overstreet and their steady cowboy prices that have been the same the last 15 years.

As a completist myself, I appreciate the time it took to compile the collection and the effort it took to label and price everything.  The price of the mylars and boards was considerable.  I even see a lot of the issues I used to own (and sold at a considerable loss).  It was a loss for the OO or their family but it won’t be an easy sell unless he moves it at a lot.  Individually, I think some of the books might never sell.  

6 minutes ago, cheetah said:

As a completist myself, I appreciate the time it took to compile the collection and the effort it took to label and price everything.  The price of the mylars and boards was considerable.  I even see a lot of the issues I used to own (and sold at a considerable loss).  It was a loss for the OO or their family but it won’t be an easy sell unless he moves it at a lot.  Individually, I think some of the books might never sell.  

i know what your saying.. i'm a big Mission Impossible TV show fan ! i have all 7 seasons on DVD and watch them still.. and i am a big comic book fan and collector..

that being said i still never wanted an issue of the Mission Impossible comic, and if i don't ..who does ??

49 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Updated video.  He paid $1 a book.

Boy, did he ever get taken for a ride around the block in terms of buying this collection in terms of a whole dollar per comic.  doh!  lol

He should have called up Chuck and he would have given him some pointers on how to pick up GA comics for a dime a piece from his personal experience with obtaining the Mile High collection from the Church family.  :takeit:  :flipbait:

29 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:
42 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I got into westerns for a while and had nice copies graded.  When I sold them, though, the sale price never covered the grading price. :(

$10k Canadian is about $6,500 US greenback. Just feel sad for the estate that dumped the entire contents of the storage unit so they would no longer need to pay the monthly lease.

I would tend to agree with this sentiment here since I am quite sure there would be some pleasant surprising gems in there like the much in demand Rifleman 10 which by itself would already pay for a substantial portion of the cost for the entire collection.  hm   :takeit:

Any idea if the triple digit price tags :whatthe:  that I am seeing on the books around the 17-minute mark were the prices the original owner had paid for the books or are these the prices which the buyer of this collection is hoping to sell the books for?  ???

Either way, I definitely feel sad and sorry for the original owner with the heirs dumping off his treasure collection like they were garbage to be disposed of.  :cry: 

Certainly a lesson for all of the long time collectors here in terms of having a solid plan in place to sell off or dispose of your collection in a smart way before you go to that big comic shop up in the sky.  hm  :wishluck:

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Updated video.  He paid $1 a book.

Too lazy to watch the whole video again after watching the first one as posted on Page 1 of this thread.  :bigsmile:

He did mentioned the original asking price of $25K, but is there a specific point in this video here where he states or hints that he actually got the books for $1 a piece?  hm

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with this sentiment here since I am quite sure there would be some pleasant surprising gems in there like the much in demand Rifleman 10 which by itself would already pay for a substantial portion of the cost for the entire collection.  hm   :takeit:

Any idea if the triple digit price tags :whatthe:  that I am seeing on the books around the 17-minute mark were the prices the original owner had paid for the books or are these the prices which the buyer of this collection is hoping to sell the books for?  ???

Either way, I definitely feel sad and sorry for the original owner with the heirs dumping off his treasure collection like they were garbage to be disposed of.  :cry: 

Certainly a lesson for all of the long time collectors here in terms of having a solid plan in place to sell off or dispose of your collection in a smart way before you go to that big comic shop up in the sky.  hm  :wishluck:

I thought the price tags were all identical.  To me, it meant the OO likely put the prices on them.  Maybe he looked in his many Overstreet guides to come up with the value.

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Too lazy to watch the whole video again after watching the first one as posted on Page 1 of this thread.  :bigsmile:

He did mentioned the original asking price of $25K, but is there a specific point in this video here where he states or hints that he actually got the books for $1 a piece?  hm

Yes, he said he got it for roughly $1 a book.  I don’t think he said anything about the posters and other memorabilia.

9 hours ago, Scrooge said:

I'm with you Scrooge.  

I think this is a beautiful collection that took many years to build and curate.  Someone loved these books.

I find it very sad that so much effort went into building and curating the collection and so little time spent for succession planning.  And while these aren't hot books they're old and appear to be in pretty good condition overall and they will sell over time.  I wish Artboy and I had known of this collection, would have loved to buy it.