• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent collection from Canada
5 5

225 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

And before we write off genres like the ones collected here.  These and many others were likely in the collection

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COW-PUNCHER-5-NICE-GRADE-Fantastic-GGA-Cover-Art-VERY-SCARCE-1948/283996635670?hash=item421f84c216:g:jHMAAOSwcUBfTk3m

I have never seen Cow Puncher in Canada. Don't worry about this Western horde, as you did not have space for another skid of comics in your house. If you really want to 'invest' $10k into this collection, I am sure 90% of it will be available at Edmonton Antique cons when they start up again in 2022.

Would have been better if this collection had a long box of GA Archies and even Classics Illustrated to diversify it a bit.

54 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I have never seen Cow Puncher in Canada. Don't worry about this Western horde, as you did not have space for another skid of comics in your house. If you really want to 'invest' $10k into this collection, I am sure 90% of it will be available at Edmonton Antique cons when they start up again in 2022.

Would have been better if this collection had a long box of GA Archies and even Classics Illustrated to diversify it a bit.

I'd make room for these lol , there's plenty of value here and a lot of these appear to be fairly high grade.   Comic collecting isn't just about classic GA or SA keys and main runs.

3 hours ago, cheetah said:

When I sold them, though, the sale price never covered the grading price. :(

Nothing new at all here, as this is probably applicable for half of the Modern Age books that gets sent into CGC for grading.  doh!

Especially if you have to factor in any additional ancillary charges like shipping, packing materials, etc.  :tonofbricks:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Too lazy to watch the whole video again after watching the first one as posted on Page 1 of this thread.  :bigsmile:

He did mentioned the original asking price of $25K, but is there a specific point in this video here where he states or hints that he actually got the books for $1 a piece?  hm

2 hours ago, MetaHuman said:

He mentions the $1 per book at the 1:12 mark.

Boy, I guess I must have been really lazy as I stopped at about the 10-second mark and kind of jumped right near to the end.  :bigsmile:

Noticed that he was talking about having the collection pedigreed, but I guess only somebody like PGX or whatever they are now called would go for that.  :p

When he started talking about the ComicBookRealm website, it looks like somebody really needs to direct him to the CGC Census Population Report.  :facepalm:

Quite telling that he says towards the end of the second video that the owners were trying to sell the collection for over 4 months and he was the only person that actually went out to see the books.

Obviously it will take some effort, but I think he will do quite well with them overall.

2 hours ago, MetaHuman said:

A Canuck buck a book doh!! At least he recouped some of the cost when he said the Overstreet Price Guides were already sold for $2K. It was cool to see a number 1. 

Yes, especially when you hardly ever see the Number 1's in high grade since they were used for 2 years as it took them that long before Overstreet got around to issuing a second edition of his price guide.  (thumbsu

Except for the little smudge mark around the ME logo on the front cover and the coffee cup imprint stain on the back cover, this looks to be a pretty HG and virtually unused copy of the first Overstreet Guide which in it self is normally worth quite a bit of money.  :luhv:  :takeit:

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Quite telling that he says towards the end of the second video that the owners were trying to sell the collection for over 4 months and he was the only person that actually went out to see the books.

Obviously it will take some effort, but I think he will do quite well with them overall.

Yes, when I heard this it kind of reminded me of Chuck's story with respect to the Edgar Church pedigree collection find as the family had also contacted several dealers and none of them were even willing to go out to the house to take a peek at the books.  doh!

No doubt, the extreme lack of interest and the fact that it was 4 months later probably made it very easy for the current buyer to get the price right down from the original $25K asking price.  Especially when they probably thought this might be their last chance to get some sucker or loser to take the books off their hands before they would have to pay somebody to haul the contents of the storage locker away to the dump.  :takeit:

Mods & Humpers:  Although this post here will defnitely be viewed like an extremely political post to your super overly sensitive eyes and ears, believe me it is not.  So, bottom line:  Do not banish me to the CGC sin bin for another week as I am SINCERELY using the suckers and losers phraseology here in the traditional sense of the word it is meant to be and not in the way you see it being used in today's news.  (tsk)  :boo:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

57 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I'd make room for these lol , there's plenty of value here and a lot of these appear to be fairly high grade.   Comic collecting isn't just about classic GA or SA keys and main runs.

Yes, he really does need to check out that supposedly First Edition, Second Print of Gone With The Wind as this grey edition of the book alone could be worth thousands of dollars if it is indeed one of the the more valuable editions of the book.  hm  :wishluck:

42 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, he really does need to check out that supposedly First Edition, Second Print of Gone With The Wind as this grey edition of the book alone could be worth thousands of dollars if it is indeed one of the the more valuable editions of the book.  hm  :wishluck:

... but most of the hardcover books in video #2 do not have dust-jackets so 'retail' price plummets 90%? I don't think his videos will win him any more estate sales after he used his pricing gun and slapped $200+ retail stickers on the mylars and plastic bags after trumpeting he paid $1 each at the 1:12 minute mark. Also, 4 months ago, the hobby shops were wondering if they would still be in business by Labor Day or shut down by Covid for a 2c full year.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

... but most of the hardcover books in video #2 do not have dust-jackets so 'retail' price plummets 90%?

I was specifically referring to the Gone With The Wind grey hardcover version of the book which he pulled out and not to any of the other books.  :gossip:

Now, I certainly know zippo when it comes to rare books, but it appears that some of these grey versions with no dust jacket still goes for thousands of dollars:

https://www.biblio.com/gone-with-the-wind-by-mitchell-margaret/work/14590#:~:text=These inaccurate first printings%2C and,the book's condition%2C of course.

Of course it's also possible that it could be the one that listed for only $95 as opposed to all of the other copies asking for thousands of dollars.  (shrug)

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, when I heard this it kind of reminded me of Chuck's story with respect to the Edgar Church pedigree collection find as the family had also contacted several dealers and none of them were even willing to go out to the house to take a peek at the books.  doh!

Yes -- the heirs had run into a problem where other dealers' policy included not traveling to homes to view collections / accumulations.  The sad thing is that Rozanski believes the Church funny animal comics had been thrown away before he was contacted (empty racks, other evidence).  Add to that the damaged pulp mag collection (from a small plumbing leak), and we realize that the greatest pedigree had been even greater...!

On 9/13/2020 at 7:15 PM, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, as I've said a few times in the past already...............in today's red hot robust vintage collectible comic book marketplace, it's a whole lot harder to sell a thousand $10 books, as opposed to selling just one $10,000 comic book.  hm  (thumbsu

100%

6 hours ago, eccomic said:

I just gotta say that I am appalled that this buyer would tout his $1.00 per book purchase price. VULTURE ON CARRION. It does not matter that there were no other buyers over a 4 month period.   >:(

The 4 month period is the key point in grinding the liquidation price down to $10k. We are still in Covid for at least another year. Canada/USA border still closed until at least Oct. 21, 2020 to well-heeled USA dealers from driving across into AB to make a counter-offer on the Western horde.

The average cowboy collector would be about 80 years old now and I don't think they plan to restock Western comics this long after they have retired. Sorry but that is Capitalism in Canada or the USA. I have heard from 2 LCS that would have paid the estate's ask price of $25k, and a local to Calgary, AB hard core collector/dealer that would not have paid more than $5k for this 'boat anchor' collection.

6 hours ago, eccomic said:

I just gotta say that I am appalled that this buyer would tout his $1.00 per book purchase price, and than go on about how he will not make books available now so that he can slab to get a CGC pedigree (NOT gonna happen) and act like he acquired the Ark of the Covenant. To add insult to injury, he goes on about how valuable the books are. I wish the sellers could catch wind of what has transpired here. It is wrong on SO many levels.

Just wow....and than he advised he would not consider paying $25K for 100K+ EASY worth of books, only to lowball the I suspect cash-strapped sellers to almost nada for the collection. VULTURE ON CARRION. It does not matter that there were no other buyers over a 4 month period. Of course that is heresay and conjecture. In the UNITED STATES he could be sued for fraud by taking such advantage of the sellers. Here in Canada, looks like he made off like a BANDIT, literally.  >:(

I have purchased MANY substantial collections over the years myself and have ALWAYS given the seller a fair buck. It incites my ire... Maybe I am alone here in my thinking. :preach:

Rant done... :headbang:

Stephen

To be fair local buyers weren't interested at any price and almost every comment in this thread is saying these are dead books.   These books aren't the easiest sell and that's why they went so cheap.  The amount of time it will take to sell and difficulty in finding buyers drops the percentage that a buyer should pay for the assets.  In a way the seller should pay less because he has to factor in the storage costs he will incur from storing these books for 20 years because that's how long it will take to sell most of them.

If I had known about the collection I would have been all over it as I like collections like this but I would have paid as little as possible and would have passed at $25k.  I've had lots of 10 cent westerns and even when discounted they are slow to sell.

36 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

The 4 month period is the key point in grinding the liquidation price down to $10k. We are still in Covid for at least another year. Canada/USA border still closed until at least Oct. 21, 2020 to well-heeled USA dealers from driving across into AB to make a counter-offer on the Western horde.

The average cowboy collector would be about 80 years old now and I don't think they plan to restock Western comics this long after they have retired. Sorry but that is Capitalism in Canada or the USA. I have heard from 2 LCS that would have paid the estate's ask price of $25k, and a local to Calgary, AB hard core collector/dealer that would not have paid more than $5k for this 'boat anchor' collection.

If this was a nice collection of GA or SA Marvels or hot moderns the owners would have had dozens of interested buyers.  I don't think covid really had anything to do with the interest and it was all about the type of collection.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:10 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i know what your saying.. i'm a big Mission Impossible TV show fan ! i have all 7 seasons on DVD and watch them still.. and i am a big comic book fan and collector..

that being said i still never wanted an issue of the Mission Impossible comic, and if i don't ..who does ??

You're likely right that demand is pretty low, but a raw copy of #1 sold for $32.11 last month on ebay, 4 bidders.  Looked to be around Fine to Fine+.  I like the show too, especially Barbara Bain and Lesley Ann Warren.

Edited by EC Star&Bar
added info

9 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

To be fair local buyers weren't interested at any price and almost every comment in this thread is saying these are dead books.   These books aren't the easiest sell and that's why they went so cheap.  The amount of time it will take to sell and difficulty in finding buyers drops the percentage that a buyer should pay for the assets.  In a way the seller should pay less because he has to factor in the storage costs he will incur from storing these books for 20 years because that's how long it will take to sell most of them.

If I had known about the collection I would have been all over it as I like collections like this but I would have paid as little as possible and would have passed at $25k.  I've had lots of 10 cent westerns and even when discounted they are slow to sell.

That makes sense and thank you!

I think I've told this story before on the boards but......

I know of a local Western collector who likes to put on old Western TV shows on his TV Saturday mornings.  Load up his cap pistols and rifles and fire them whenever the hero of the show does.  Always makes me smile when I see him at a local show.

I owned the highest graded copy of the Roy Rogers Giant featured in the video. Mine was a CGC 8.0.  It was not a "worthless" book. I sold it at Clink auction.  I had offers on it for for less than the final hammer price so glad I sent it to auction.  Not all of those books will fly off the shelves so to speak, but there is a market for these books and who knows what other special books and/or items are in there. I mean, there were those OSPGs too.

As for the final sale price, we do not know the circumstances of the sale (why the price was what it was), but it was for sure a bargain at $10k or so for the buyer, no disputing that.  At the end of the day, he is the one who actually bothered to answer the call, take the time to check it out and had money in hand. I have no horse in this race (forgive the pun) but this guy clearly is not a comic expert, which likely factored into his offer as well.

I bet now there are locals who did not bother to answer the call who are kicking themselves and I also bet the buyer has a lot of attention now as well.

Edited by Wall-Crawler