• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent collection from Canada
5 5

225 posts in this topic

So, not the $100,000 windfall he was likely expecting then............ lol

Looking at some of the grades, CC is having to stretch every single millimetre they can to make a decent return. This collection was overgraded badly at the start as there were no NM books in it from what the pawn shop owner showed in his videos. Check out this "VF+" Gene Autry #5 that CC has up. Last time I checked, varmit chewed off corners are not allowed in FN, let alone VF+: doh!

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/895731

gen2.723.jpg

On 9/24/2020 at 4:20 PM, EC Star&Bar said:

It looks as though some of the books have been placed on the Kastner Auctions site, primarily '50s/early '60s Dell Four Color issues.

These must be from that collection, as you see the oddly placed decal on each sleeve at left, with info & the OO's grade:

http://www.kauctions.ca/auction/antique1/820/1086#9

Now is your chance to bid on an O.S. Porky Pig (#351, 1951) with children's graffiti on its cover.  This was an auction-worthy book?

Sounds like CC cherry picked the good stuff and left him with the . Like I said earlier in this thread, the majority of the books are just common 50s drek with little to no collectible value. They are slow to move in $2 bins, so dumping them via an auction house and hoping to find a few suckers to pay more than that is a good approach. In the end, they will end up in long boxes for $50 - $100 per box.

I looked through some of the listings and the condition on a lot is pretty rough.  It might be tough to get bidders on some of the lots.  I did not see any of the key books he had shown in the video so he might still get something out of the deal.

Edited by cheetah

12 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I looked through some of the listings and the condition on a lot is pretty rough.  It might be tough to get bidders on some of the lots.  I did not see any of the key books he had shown in the video so he might still get something out of the deal.

Thx. Cheetah 

22 hours ago, kimik said:

Sounds like CC cherry picked the good stuff and left him with the . Like I said earlier in this thread, the majority of the books are just common 50s drek with little to no collectible value. They are slow to move in $2 bins, so dumping them via an auction house and hoping to find a few suckers to pay more than that is a good approach. In the end, they will end up in long boxes for $50 - $100 per box.

Is CC hurting for consignments? Surpised this is worth the effort for them. Looks like a lot of work for squeezing 10% out of midgrade westerns. 

Taking a quick look, Dell Lone Ranger #1 & ME Tim Holt Frazetta and #1 look to be present, though some have been graded mid-to-low.

I have to question at least some of the assigned grades.   Take a look at this Roy Rogers Big Little Book, they've assigned FN 6.0:

http://comicconnect.com/item/899231

I think at best I would go VG-, and more likely G-VG.

Edited by EC Star&Bar

59 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Taking a quick look, Dell Lone Ranger #1 & ME Tim Holt Frazetta and #1 look to be present, though some have been graded mid-to-low.

I have to question at least some of the assigned grades.   Take a look at this Roy Rogers Big Little Book, they've assigned FN 6.0:

I agree. More Comicconnect overgrading

1 hour ago, EC Star&Bar said:

I fully agree. Possibly, CC has not handled or sold a BLB in like forever. Or maybe they know it will go for nothing if they don’t pimp it up s bit. 

I suspect this will not be one of their record breaking auctions...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I fully agree. Possibly, CC has not handled or sold a BLB in like forever. Or maybe they know it will go for nothing if they don’t pimp it up s bit. 

I suspect this will not be one of their record breaking auctions...

They are just trying to stretch the grades as much as possible, just like most of the big dealers/auction houses now with raw books.

22 minutes ago, kimik said:

They are just trying to stretch the grades as much as possible, just like most of the big dealers/auction houses now with raw books.

lol, I read that as big dealers/whorehouses.  Apparently my subconscious is creeping through!

Edited by cheetah

4 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Wait...are you saying we can't trust CC's grading, and we might actually have to look at the scans they post and decide for ourselves?  That sure sounds like a lot of work...(shrug)

I sent them a CGC graded AF 15 once. They cracked it and sold it raw at a higher grade. I’m too lazy to watch the video.  What was cherry picked ?  Best books ?

19 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Wait...are you saying we can't trust CC's grading, and we might actually have to look at the scans they post and decide for ourselves?  That sure sounds like a lot of work...(shrug)

It's about credibility.  Why bother posting a grade if it's obviously off?  I could grade better than that at age 9.  Anyway, it would be better if they just checked the books and disclosed any interior damage or flaws.  (Not to mention back cover scans or photos of the centerfolds.)