• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent collection from Canada
5 5

225 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

It's about credibility.  Why bother posting a grade if it's obviously off?  I could grade better than that at age 9.  Anyway, it would be better if they just checked the books and disclosed any interior damage or flaws.  (Not to mention back cover scans or photos of the centerfolds.)  

Not sure if you know or not, but my post was meant to be humorous "sarcasm".  I have known since the mid-1990s about the grading practices of Metro and CC.  (thumbsu

19 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Wait...are you saying we can't trust CC's grading, and we might actually have to look at the scans they post and decide for ourselves?  That sure sounds like a lot of work...(shrug)

There may be defects on the front or back cover that may be difficult to see and there may be interior defects that can't be seen in scans.

You'd think one of the largest dealers and auctioneers of comics in the world would have a grading reputation equal to their size but they don't  

I knew you were being sarcastic, but I was not really aware that they dabbled in shady grading.  

In some ways, grading a BLB can be easier than comic grading.  If a corner is obviously delaminating badly, I would exclude the book from a FN grade.  My dad and uncle's BLBs were in generally nice condition, especially the ones post-1936 or so.  I tend to be pretty strict on ones from the '40s on.

6 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

There may be defects on the front or back cover that may be difficult to see and there may be interior defects that can't be seen in scans.

You'd think one of the largest dealers and auctioneers of comics in the world would have a grading reputation equal to their size but they don't  

Page quality and stains were the biggest failures by comic shops when it comes to grading, at least from a few years ago.  Neither one shows up well in scans.

17 hours ago, cheetah said:

Page quality and stains were the biggest failures by comic shops when it comes to grading, at least from a few years ago.  Neither one shows up well in scans.

These need to be disclosed. Comicconnect is notorious for excluding these defects. Or I just have really bad luck in my raw purchases from them.

I've only just begun watching the video, and I'm already concerned when our intrepid hero states that he isn't sure if eight thousand comic books will fit in the medium sized SUV he's driving to the storage unit.

I have edited this now to say that I see he has a uhaul trailer behind his vehicle, so nevermind.

Second edit: every time he bends a comic back to see what it is, I cry a little. 

Edited by speedcake

6 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

I want to like westerns.  I really really do!  :(

In the early 90s after watching a bunch of reruns on late-night TV I bought some Maverick photo-cover comics just to read them.

I'm guessing I could probably finish my collection now for about the same price.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:26 AM, EC Star&Bar said:

I knew you were being sarcastic, but I was not really aware that they dabbled in shady grading.  

In some ways, grading a BLB can be easier than comic grading.  If a corner is obviously delaminating badly, I would exclude the book from a FN grade.  My dad and uncle's BLBs were in generally nice condition, especially the ones post-1936 or so.  I tend to be pretty strict on ones from the '40s on.

From my experience with them the last 25 years...It's rare to find a strictly graded comic from Metro or CC.  It does happen, but not often.  I actually got a comic from them a couple years ago that was under-graded.  I almost went into shock...:whatthe:

On 10/30/2020 at 4:37 PM, Crowzilla said:

In the early 90s after watching a bunch of reruns on late-night TV I bought some Maverick photo-cover comics just to read them.

I'm guessing I could probably finish my collection now for about the same price.

I was surprised to find this Maverick in my collection with Roger Moore on the cover instead of James Garner...but yeah...the prices on most photo cover westerns are pretty flat...

=Maverick15-4.0.jpg

13 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

From my experience with them the last 25 years...It's rare to find a strictly graded comic from Metro or CC.  It does happen, but not often.  I actually got a comic from them a couple years ago that was under-graded.  I almost went into shock...:whatthe:

so you were the ONE!