• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent collection from Canada
5 5

225 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2020 at 5:05 PM, october said:

True for some lots at least. 

image.thumb.png.f6c9059c728904d6a2df23f61e158547.png

So it’s not for the entire auction? I suspect that the consigner stipulated they had to sell everything. CC obviously knows a lot of this stuff will go for nothing. The 15% is probably a nusance fee.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

So it’s not for the entire auction? I suspect that the consigner stipulated they had to sell everything. CC obviously knows a lot of this stuff will go for nothing. The 15% is probably a nusance fee.

Not sure. I only saw the one book. Viewing more would require navigating their website. :p

On 11/1/2020 at 8:08 AM, Robot Man said:
On 10/29/2020 at 5:05 PM, october said:

True for some lots at least. 

image.thumb.png.f6c9059c728904d6a2df23f61e158547.png

Unlike HA, I don't seem to see anything in there about a minimum BP fee of $15.  hm

Must be an oversight on their part as 15% of $1 works out to only 15 cents if they can find a bidder for some of these lots here.  :p

On 11/1/2020 at 5:44 PM, cheetah said:

I know I am going out on a limb but I’m guessing this one will draw some interest.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/896913

992435D7-EDAA-4F48-8DFC-3E626FDC92BD.jpeg

On 11/1/2020 at 6:13 PM, adamstrange said:

I think you wood be right.

I think you are both HUNG up on the wrong aspect of this beautiful SPECIMEN and now have I will have to LOG off..:taptaptap:

22 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

If he paid $1 a book for that collection, he's going to net (not counting his time) $75K. If any of you see a collection like this and want to turn your nose up at it, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Actually, according to an earlier post, he paid $1 each Canadian -- meaning about 65-cents apiece in U.S. terms.  Assuming there are about 10,000 comics, plus 4000 - 5000 lobby cards, it was an incredible purchase.  I'm guessing less than 2-dozen of the better comics will pay for it all.  The Roy Rogers Annual might do it just by itself.

On 11/8/2020 at 4:38 PM, FlyingDonut said:

If he paid $1 a book for that collection, he's going to net (not counting his time) $75K. If any of you see a collection like this and want to turn your nose up at it, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

If he wants to net $75K, he needs to hold them for another 50 years.

9 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Yeah, I don't think you're going to be accurate there.

It is not that far off. The bulk of the stuff is not being consigned via CC since there is little to no demand for low grade Westerns for them. That means it either 1) sits in his store or 2) is being sold off slowly via a location auction house in a market where there are plenty of low grade Dell and Fawcett westerns sitting in dollar and two-dollar bins that sell extremely slowly. He will make a profit on it, but it will take a long time to sell the rest of the stuff. Case in point, I have been selling at shows here locally since university in 1997 and I see dealers with the same low grade Dell and Fawcett books at old OSPG stickers sitting in their bins. They are everywhere. CC cherry picked the worthwhile stuff and now he has to unload the rest. Cool collection, definitely. Easy for him to move, definitely not. 

Now, the GA collection that Antonio, another local dealer, found in Calgary earlier this year is definitely easy to move. It was GA super-hero, GGA and horror. I know where the Brenda Starr 14 and some of the Schomburg Thrilling and Exciting covers ended up locally, and I believe the best stuff was graded and sold via auction. There were some nice pre-Robin Tecs in the mix.

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, kimik said:

It is not that far off. The bulk of the stuff is not being consigned via CC since there is little to no demand for low grade Westerns for them. That means it either 1) sits in his store or 2) is being sold off slowly via a location auction house in a market where there are plenty of low grade Dell and Fawcett westerns sitting in dollar and two-dollar bins that sell extremely slowly. He will make a profit on it, but it will take a long time to sell the rest of the stuff. Case in point, I have been selling at shows here locally since university in 1997 and I see dealers with the same low grade Dell and Fawcett books at old OSPG stickers sitting in their bins. They are everywhere. CC cherry picked the worthwhile stuff and now he has to unload the rest. Cool collection, definitely. Easy for him to move, definitely not. 

Now, the GA collection that Antonio, another local dealer, found in Calgary earlier this year is definitely easy to move. It was GA super-hero, GGA and horror. I know where the Brenda Starr 14 and some of the Schomburg Thrilling and Exciting covers ended up locally, and I believe the best stuff was graded and sold via auction. There were some nice pre-Robin Tecs in the mix.

The majority of those westerns will sell on eBay - I know this because I found essentially the same collection here in Virginia and have been moving them for a while. Does Hopalong Cassidy 35 sell for Overstreet Guide? Of course not, but it sells for $6. In his case that's a 10x profit per unit. Everything sells.

20 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

The majority of those westerns will sell on eBay - I know this because I found essentially the same collection here in Virginia and have been moving them for a while. Does Hopalong Cassidy 35 sell for Overstreet Guide? Of course not, but it sells for $6. In his case that's a 10x profit per unit. Everything sells.

That is IF he lists them on eBay. And, even then, how long will it take to find a buyer? Right now it looks like the books are coming up for auction at a local auction house, which is where prices will be low. That is why his returns will be muted (and why other dealers passed on the collection) - there is way more supply than demand in Alberta for those books. In the end, I expect him to be having to auction off boxes of the books for a one to two hundred per box unless he changes his selling approach. 

He should have talked to mycomicshop.com instead IMHO. Or gone with Heritage and put the bulk stuff in their Sunday auctions. Basically, let the auction house do the work on everything. Now he is left with a collection devoid of most of its value and having to do the work. Time is money.

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, kimik said:

That is IF he lists them on eBay. And, even then, how long will it take to find a buyer? Right now it looks like the books are coming up for auction at a local auction house, which is where prices will be low. That is why his returns will be muted (and why other dealers passed on the collection) - there is way more supply than demand in Alberta for those books. In the end, I expect him to be having to auction off boxes of the books for a one to two hundred per box unless he changes his selling approach. 

He should have talked to mycomicshop.com instead IMHO. Or gone with Heritage and put the bulk stuff in their Sunday auctions. Basically, let the auction house do the work on everything. Now he is left with a collection devoid of most of its value and having to do the work. Time is money.

I went over the lots and came up with a rough $15k in bids so far, not including buyer's premium.  I suspect the bids will at least double before the auction ends so perhaps he'll make $20k usd on a quick flip with minimal effort on a collection a lot of guys called dead books in this thread .  I  don't know what he held back or what comicconnect didn't want but a lot of these lots have 5 to 20 comics in them so there's a lot more comics for sale than the number of lots would suggest.

Perhaps he could have found a more profitable way to sell the books but he isn't a comic guy and he's making money and promoting his business.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I went over the lots and came up with a rough $15k in bids so far, not including buyer's premium.  I suspect the bids will at least double before the auction ends so perhaps he'll make $20k usd on a quick flip with minimal effort on a collection a lot of guys called dead books in this thread .  I  don't know what he held back or what comicconnect didn't want but a lot of these lots have 5 to 20 comics in them so there's a lot more comics for sale than the number of lots would suggest.

Perhaps he could have found a more profitable way to sell the books but he isn't a comic guy and he's making money and promoting his business.

You're only saying that because your basement is full of similar stuff. :baiting: :devil:

We have to Earn it Now

Edited by kimik

5 hours ago, kimik said:

I don't diasgree that time is money - send all the book left to mycomicshop now. Don't put them locally there - that's stupid

17 hours ago, kimik said:

It is not that far off. The bulk of the stuff is not being consigned via CC since there is little to no demand for low grade Westerns for them.

And yet, did you see the price tags on some of the comic bags?  :whatthe:

If those are the price tags which the OO had paid for the books, then it looks like he must have gone above and beyond top dollar to acquire some of those books.  doh!

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And yet, did you see the price tags on some of the comic bags?  :whatthe:

If those are the price tags which the OO had paid for the books, then it looks like he must have gone above and beyond top dollar to acquire some of those books.  doh!

Those are the price tags and grades the OO had to try to sell the books. All were significantly overgraded to start with if you look at the original video, and as has been posted in this thread, the raw books are being overgraded again by CC in the auctions. :tonofbricks: