• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent collection from Canada
5 5

225 posts in this topic

I think something needs to be said about just how bad the marketing and promotion is for this collection on Comicconnect. I realize that these are super high grade books or keys, but put it this way - I might buy a lot of them to resell on eBay. There are a bunch of books on here that - with a day left - are going for a third of what I've sold the same book on eBay for. The Roy Rogers Annual is insanely rare and there's almost no mention of it on the auction site.

Edited by FlyingDonut

I don't know how much more could have been done to give proper exposure to this collection.

ComicConnect did give the collection a name ("Quick Draw") and highlights the auction as soon as you get on their website. The videos done online by the consignor, including the one with Vinny, seem to give adequate promotion. And, these CGC boards have given the collection it's due props, with this ongoing thread. I don't think CNBC or USA Today would be knocking down Vinny for an interview though. It's a nice collection that probably has gotten the appropriate exposure.

Let's keep in mind, the last time ComicConnect seemed to over hype a rare Canadian comic. Maybe a little less hype is a good thing.

image.thumb.png.ca16e12968d85fb2744df4d9f5806296.png

8 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I just saw a couple copies on ebay, both from Bruno M...:whatthe:

Just looked at those, typical high ask price fishing for a single sucker, uh investor.

But hardly the kind of comic where he will get his entire purchase price back on one sale like Bookery suggested.

To be honest, I didn't know anything about the Roy Rogers annual until this thread.

It is kind of interesting that Overstreet states there are seven known copies (CGC census is currently showing 12 copies - 11 universal/1 restored. Highest graded Universal is 8.0)

The 8.0 copy sold at Comiclink in December 2016 for $2,433

Overstreet also seems to give the book it's own historical market tracking in it's listing- "A copy in VG/FN was sold in 1986 for $400, in 1996 for $1200 & in 2000 for $1500; a FN+ sold for $1,650: a GD sold for $448 in 2008; a FN sold for $717 in 2009 and a FR sold for $156 in 2015" (no notation for the 8.0 CL sale in 2016)

This must have been Bob's "Fantastic 3" back in the day!

Edited by DanCooper

4 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Just looked at those, typical high ask price fishing for a single sucker, uh investor.

But hardly the kind of comic where he will get his entire purchase price back on one sale like Bookery suggested.

Originally he said the book was near mint.  As it turns out, many of the books aren't as nice as originally claimed.  But a true 9.4 copy would likely bring a $2-$3 thousand at a Heritage Auction, and maybe more.  I was also basing my statement on the idea that he paid $6500 (U.S.) for the collection, and that he already sold the Overstreet books for $2k.  So maybe it's a bit of an exaggeration, but that book (if truly high grade) and a few other keys should get him there.  There are still a few collectors out there that admire certain books purely for their rarity... it's why certain otherwise obscure Centaur books bring thousands of dollars.  

On 11/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, Bookery said:

The Roy Rogers Annual might do it just by itself

21 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

There are a bunch of books on here that - with a day left - are going for a third of what I've sold the same book on eBay for. The Roy Rogers Annual is insanely rare and there's almost no mention of it on the auction site.

Well, I guess old FD must have done alright in the end since the Roy Rogers Annual went for just a measly $440 plus the 15% BP which is still peanuts for a supposedly super super rare book.  :applause:

13 hours ago, DanCooper said:

I don't know how much more could have been done to give proper exposure to this collection.

ComicConnect did give the collection a name ("Quick Draw") and highlights the auction as soon as you get on their website. The videos done online by the consignor, including the one with Vinny, seem to give adequate promotion. And, these CGC boards have given the collection it's due props, with this ongoing thread. I don't think CNBC or USA Today would be knocking down Vinny for an interview though. It's a nice collection that probably has gotten the appropriate exposure.

Let's keep in mind, the last time ComicConnect seemed to over hype a rare Canadian comic. Maybe a little less hype is a good thing.

image.thumb.png.ca16e12968d85fb2744df4d9f5806296.png

I was thinking the same thing. They've sent out a ton of emails about this auction. 

10 hours ago, DanCooper said:

To be honest, I didn't know anything about the Roy Rogers annual until this thread.

It is kind of interesting that Overstreet states there are seven known copies (CGC census is currently showing 12 copies - 11 universal/1 restored. Highest graded Universal is 8.0)

The 8.0 copy sold at Comiclink in December 2016 for $2,433

Overstreet also seems to give the book it's own historical market tracking in it's listing- "A copy in VG/FN was sold in 1986 for $400, in 1996 for $1200 & in 2000 for $1500; a FN+ sold for $1,650: a GD sold for $448 in 2008; a FN sold for $717 in 2009 and a FR sold for $156 in 2015" (no notation for the 8.0 CL sale in 2016)

This must have been Bob's "Fantastic 3" back in the day!

A lot of the text in Overstreet is rolled over from year to year. I don't think anyone has gone through to systematically revise the which issues receive the "rare" and "scarce" designations in a dog's age. 

7 hours ago, Bookery said:

Originally he said the book was near mint.  As it turns out, many of the books aren't as nice as originally claimed.

:whatthe: I'm shocked! Shocked to find that a non-comics dealer who claimed a 70-year old comic was mint, turned out to be untrue.

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

Is there anyway to easily view completed lots from tonight's Quick Draw auction on CC?

One way to see it, is go to the drop down box on top and select "Sold" items and in the search box type in "quick draw" then on the side bar menu select sort by "Auctions" (see the RED square boxes I highlighted below)

image.png.6a03085da3fede9a81b12856fdd39ef0.png

Edited by DanCooper

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess old FD must have done alright in the end since the Roy Rogers Annual went for just a measly $440 plus the 15% BP which is still peanuts for a supposedly super super rare book.  :applause:

I did buy a few books, some things that I will later flip on eBay. its all good. I have buyers for this kind of stuff.

Does anyone else find it a tad lazy or cause for concern when the books in the larger lots are fanned out where you can only see less than half the cover? In most cases you wouldn't be able to see a subscription crease on an otherwise sharp copy, nor a large corner crease, etc. From the lots I perused, it would be tough to know whether you're setting your bid for say five good books times the money or eight or ten...

I guess it's a roll of the dice like so many auctions. :S

Still, it was a great collection and a great find, and even though it's a little sad to see it broken up, now a good number of collectors can enjoy the books. 

p.s. I can't imagine how long it took the cowpoke who put that collection together to find stuff like the Charlton Lash Larue's and the like: not high-demand books necessarily, but tougher to find than ASM 1-10 if we're being honest. 

2 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

p.s. I can't imagine how long it took the cowpoke who put that collection together to find stuff like the Charlton Lash Larue's and the like: not high-demand books necessarily, but tougher to find than ASM 1-10 if we're being honest. 

I bought Lash 71-80 and all the Charlton Rocky Lanes.