• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent collection from Canada
5 5

225 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:
On 9/14/2020 at 5:10 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i know what your saying.. i'm a big Mission Impossible TV show fan ! i have all 7 seasons on DVD and watch them still.. and i am a big comic book fan and collector..

that being said i still never wanted an issue of the Mission Impossible comic, and if i don't ..who does ??

You're likely right that demand is pretty low, but a raw copy of #1 sold for $32.11 last month on ebay, 4 bidders.

Exactly, and that's for a more in demand #1 issue. hm

So, what would the rest fo the run go fr and how long would he have to hold onto them for.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  zzz

3 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I had the highest graded copy of the Roy Rogers Giant featured in the video. CGC 8.0.  It was not a "worthless" book. I sold it at Clink in 2017.  I had offers on it for for less than the final hammer price so glad I sent it to auction.  Not all of those books will fly off the shelves so to speak, but there is a market for these books and who knows what other special books and/or items are in there.

The only problem with trying to sell these books on an auction website is that they pretty much have to be slabbed and graded if you want them to sell for a fair price.  Considering the current grading regime at CGC, if you want to get a book graded without receiving punishment grades, you pretty much have to get the books pressed before submitting them for grading.  So, you are really looking at throwing in a minumum of something like $60 to $100 per book (including ancillary costs) in order to prep them for an auction sale and then you've got the auction consignment fees after that.  So, the guys making the guaranteed money here would be the pressing and grading companies along with the auction houses, and whatever is left in the end if you are lucky would then be yours.  :(

Any guesses as to what percentage of this collection here would even truly be slab worthy?  hm  :cry:

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The only problem with trying to sell these books on an auction website is that they pretty much have to be slabbed and graded if you want them to sell for a fair price.  Considering the current grading regime at CGC, if you want to get a book graded without receiving punishment grades, you pretty much have to get the books pressed before submitting them for grading.  So, you are really looking at throwing in a minumum of something like $60 to $100 per book (including ancillary costs) in order to prep them for an auction sale and then you've got the auction consignment fees after that.  So, the guys making the guaranteed money here would be the pressing and grading companies along with the auction houses, and whatever is left in the end if you are lucky would then be yours.  :(

Any guesses as to what percentage of this collection here would even truly be slab worthy?  hm  :cry:

Fair enough if he wants to even grade/slab them.

The guy doesnt have to sell even close to all of them at "FMV"  to make a decent profit. If he sold that little box of OSPGs for $2K, he only has $8K to go to break even from ALL of that. That Roy Rogers book I mentioned goes for a decent penny.  And that's like less than 1% of what we know is in there. 

He could pick out the gems and then even if he liquidated what's left he's likely laughing all the way to the bank.

Plus he has a store and can keep product there too most likely in storage and/or placed out for sale.

I think where he could lose money is if he doesn't get help grading and also someone to help him to say which books are worth slabbing to begin with.

A raw copy of Tim Holt 17 on ebay that appeared to be comparable to the one in this collection, listed as a 5.5, sold for $595 (July 26).  It was a roll of the dice for that seller, but since it looked like an exceptional copy I wonder how much it would've sold for slabbed.  Frazetta stuff I think will continue to have good collectibility.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 7:29 PM, thehumantorch said:

I know the Black Rider8, Tim Holt 17, Lone Ranger 1, John Wayne Adventure comics, and John Wayne 1 are all there.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 9:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, when I heard this it kind of reminded me of Chuck's story with respect to the Edgar Church pedigree collection find as the family had also contacted several dealers and none of them were even willing to go out to the house to take a peek at the books.  doh!

No doubt, the extreme lack of interest and the fact that it was 4 months later probably made it very easy for the current buyer to get the price right down from the original $25K asking price.  Especially when they probably thought this might be their last chance to get some sucker or loser to take the books off their hands before they would have to pay somebody to haul the contents of the storage locker away to the dump.  :takeit:

Mods & Humpers:  Although this post here will defnitely be viewed like an extremely political post to your super overly sensitive eyes and ears, believe me it is not.  So, bottom line:  Do not banish me to the CGC sin bin for another week as I am SINCERELY using the suckers and losers phraseology here in the traditional sense of the word it is meant to be and not in the way you see it being used in today's news.  (tsk)  :boo:  lol

That no one else went to look at the collection is very similar to the 250ish box collection Dave (thehumantorch) and I bought a few years ago. The owner had amassed a large collection of all things Steranko and when he finally decided to sell it he walked around local comic book shows with duo-tangs that had a list of what he had for sale. We have no idea how many of those duo-tangs he handed out over the course of several shows. His original asking price was $60,000.

Going over the list very little of what was there was actually comics so it wasn't surprising that no one went to look at it. The list wasn't very thorough either (as we later found out!) Dave and I finally agreed to drive the 2 hour drive out of town to see it and we enjoyed seeing the boxes of novels, posters, hardcover books, pins, programs, toys, statues, magazines and yes even some comics. Quite uncertain how to value such a large collection we struggled to come up with a price to offer. We had to consider storage: where to put it all and how long will it take to process? We eventually made him an offer and it took months before the owner eventually said yes.

33 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

That no one else went to look at the collection is very similar to the 250ish box collection Dave (thehumantorch) and I bought a few years ago. The owner had amassed a large collection of all things Steranko and when he finally decided to sell it he walked around local comic book shows with duo-tangs that had a list of what he had for sale. We have no idea how many of those duo-tangs he handed out over the course of several shows. His original asking price was $60,000.

Going over the list very little of what was there was actually comics so it wasn't surprising that no one went to look at it. The list wasn't very thorough either (as we later found out!) Dave and I finally agreed to drive the 2 hour drive out of town to see it and we enjoyed seeing the boxes of novels, posters, hardcover books, pins, programs, toys, statues, magazines and yes even some comics. Quite uncertain how to value such a large collection we struggled to come up with a price to offer. We had to consider storage: where to put it all and how long will it take to process? We eventually made him an offer and it took months before the owner eventually said yes.

Lots of gems in that collection!

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Quite uncertain how to value such a large collection we struggled to come up with a price to offer. We had to consider storage: where to put it all and how long will it take to process? We eventually made him an offer and it took months before the owner eventually said yes.

My guess is that it turned out to be quite a bit substantially less than his original hoped for asking price of $60,000?  hm

13 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

As for the final sale price, we do not know the circumstances of the sale (why the price was what it was), but it was for sure a bargain at $10k or so for the buyer, no disputing that.  At the end of the day, he is the one who actually bothered to answer the call, take the time to check it out and had money in hand.

The part that I found unbeliveable (about 1:00 minute in) and possibly disingenuous while watching the video was when he mentiond that he had only looked into a couple of the boxes and then did the math on it based upon a dollar a book in order to come up with his $10K figure.  Sounds as though he didn't even know what he had in there but figured if it was even Archie's, he would still be able to sell them for a few dollars each.  hm

Although it would appear that the boxes were clearly marked, wouldn't most prospective buyers still least do a quick check to see if there were some valuable books in there like complete GA runs of your DC and/or Timely super-hero books.  He makes it sound as though he didn't even have any real idea what were in the rest of the boxes except for the two that he took a look at.  (shrug)

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Very true, but probably also a whole lot of very bulky and glacier like slow moving dead weight that would take virtually forever to sell off.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  zzz

Yes, we paid a lot less than $60k for the collection.  There was a lot of stuff we didn't know what it was worth, how to sell or if it would sell.  But we picked up about 1/3 of the collection on the way to the Calgary Expo, tossed some of it on the floor under our booth - we didn't really even know what was in those boxes - and we sold tons and tons.  It was literally a feeding frenzy.  And some beautiful stuff went into our collections.

7 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I like how the "buyer" got Ashton Kutcher to do the videos for him...:insane:

Why "mock" the guys over his YouTube videos? They seem to have pretty decent production values. Yeah, they have a "reality TV' vibe, but he's promoting his business and clearly getting the word out...?

Awesome sig line though by the way :golfclap:!!!

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The part that I found unbeliveable (about 1:00 minute in) and possibly disingenuous while watching the video was when he mentiond that he had only looked into a couple of the boxes and then did the math on it based upon a dollar a book in order to come up with his $10K figure.  Sounds as though he didn't even know what he had in there but figured if it was even Archie's, he would still be able to sell them for a few dollars each.  hm

Although it would appear that the boxes were clearly marked, wouldn't most prospective buyers still least do a quick check to see if there were some valuable books in there like complete GA runs of your DC and/or Timely super-hero books.  He makes it sound as though he didn't even have any real idea what were in the rest of the boxes except for the two that he took a look at.  (shrug)

Yeah, that I don't know. I have "heard" (take this with a grain of salt) that he really is not a "comic guy" (I mean, look at how he handled some of the books going through the boxes :eek:) so maybe that is a bit of a factor there.  It could be he knows comics are "worth something" and figured on bulk alone, he'd make $$$ for what he paid.  Who knows really though right? While he may not "know" comics, he may not be as much of a "comic bumpkin" as is portrayed.

This guy does not to appear to be a “comic guy”. He saw what looked like a great deal and took it. Probably some great stuff but tons of stuff that will sit forever. I doubt he really knows that yet. He really needs to know what to grade and what has the best chance of selling. 

Looks like a good deal for him but a LOT  of creative work. Not to mention storing that hoard. I would personally, hate to have to deal with it. Fun to go through, pull out the best stuff, then dump the majority on some other “greedy speculator”. 

I feel bad for the original owner. He obviously loved this well put together collection. Sad to see it go this way, 

On 9/13/2020 at 9:51 PM, aardvark88 said:

I have a skid of vintage 1993-94 Image, Valiant, Wizard mags and b/w's all in unread gem mint condition to sell, if he is still buying to flip. Too bad AB has been in a provincial recession for the last 4 years b4 Covid hit.

tell me about it, I lost so much money on those damn energy stocks. So much for diversifying my portfolio!

4 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

That's the rub and why I don't entertain the thought of buying such collections.

At my age, I’m more about getting rid of stuff than acquiring more. I have always pretty much kept it under control. I have never paid for storage and have two cars plus two motorcycles in my garage.