• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Fail
1 1

29 posts in this topic

It's a collector's fail as well, to be fair. I am honestly amazed at how high this item is going when no one has a clear view of what they are actually buying.

Hertiage rarely, if ever, puts images of the back cover. That is of course their choice. However, in this case, it sounds insane not to because their description for this raw GA Whiz Comics book states that there is a piece out of back cover. The front cover looks great, better than the FN grade they give it, but a piece missing would easily bring the grade down. But the pic of the back ain't there, so it's impossible to see what they mean. Am I the only one that finds this crazy?

And yet, collectors are currently bidding well over guide, which leads me to believe no one is reading the description.   

image.png

I have been burned on HA raw grades.  Conservative, they are not, in my opinion.  One raw I bought had the cover glossed which was non-disclosed.  When i called they argued with me that they wouldn't have missed that.  Their return window used to (not sure if it still is) is very tight.  I sent the book to Matt nelson when he was still in Dallas and he agreed and sent it on to HA so I could get my refund.  

I saw the book in a subsequent auction now with the restoration disclosure. 

2 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Everyone knows that back covers mean absolutely nothing.  Front covers are EVERYTHING.  Duh.

I mean come on, just ask Heritage.

This but unironically.  Modern collectors seem to care more about a cover than what's behind it :(

Edited by waaaghboss

1 hour ago, waaaghboss said:

This but unironically.  Modern collectors seem to care more about a cover than what's behind it :(

This needs context although I’ve got a pretty good idea of the point you’re trying to make..  Do you mean by “modern collectors” those who collect modern era comics or do you mean today’s collectors as opposed to old school collectors? :foryou:

I'll give the people bidding this the benefit of the doubt that they read this and are assuming that the piece is so small that the 6.0 is warranted because of the way how the rest of the book presents.  I probably shouldn't and its probably people not reading which is very common in ever aspect of life with people just refusing to read descriptions and fine print.   Comiclink also has been getting away with this practice for quite some time in not providing back cover scans.

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

This needs context although I’ve got a pretty good idea of the point you’re trying to make..  Do you mean by “modern collectors” those who collect modern era comics or do you mean today’s collectors as opposed to old school collectors? :foryou:

Would a "hip" collector be one who is ahead of the trends ... or one who actually collects hips.

20 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

As you're a prominent dealer who's hauled long boxes to many shows, the answer to that would depend on the advice of a qualified surgeon. ;)

Would that be hauled boxes for a long time or haul boxes that are long?

16 minutes ago, Courageous Cat said:

whiz is no longer in sleep mode by Adams Sunday eBay auction results 

Are you really trying to tell me that Fawcetts are finally starting to wake up from their multi-decades long coma and no longer on life support?  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :whee:

3 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I'll give the people bidding this the benefit of the doubt that they read this and are assuming that the piece is so small that the 6.0 is warranted because of the way how the rest of the book presents.  I probably shouldn't and its probably people not reading which is very common in ever aspect of life with people just refusing to read descriptions and fine print.   Comiclink also has been getting away with this practice for quite some time in not providing back cover scans.

At least with comiclink, the majority is graded. Here not only is it raw but the main defect giving it its grade is on the back. Sounds more important than in other cases. 

57 minutes ago, Courageous Cat said:

whiz is no longer in sleep mode by Adams Sunday eBay auction results 

This surprises me and I wonder if that's just a blip or a new norm. The prices for 90% of Fawcetts have not gone up in 15 years.

I think what happened here is people paid above guide and GPA because they thought it was better than a FN since it does look better if only judging the front cover.

5 hours ago, telerites said:

I have been burned on HA raw grades.  Conservative, they are not, in my opinion.  One raw I bought had the cover glossed which was non-disclosed.  When i called they argued with me that they wouldn't have missed that.  Their return window used to (not sure if it still is) is very tight.  I sent the book to Matt nelson when he was still in Dallas and he agreed and sent it on to HA so I could get my refund.  

I saw the book in a subsequent auction now with the restoration disclosure. 

They were way more conservative a 7-10 years ago, similar then to how mycomicshop is now. I think they saw money left on the table for being too conservative and have since gone with predicting to the .5 mark what it would get from CGC. Which of course leads to them not getting it exactly right at times.

7 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Sure. It's still higher than any recorded amount for 6.0 in GPA and this supposedly has a piece missing from the back.

The number of buyers on eBay who ONLY look at the image on their phone and don't read the description is off the charts. The people bidding on this book are stupid and no, they are not reading the description. They are looking at the image and thinking they will pull one over on everyone.

Edited by FlyingDonut

19 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

They were way more conservative a 7-10 years ago, similar then to how mycomicshop is now. I think they saw money left on the table for being too conservative and have since gone with predicting to the .5 mark what it would get from CGC. Which of course leads to them not getting it exactly right at times.

Your mileage has been better than mine with them.  My first auction win was 2001and have bid consistently since. I have never been impressed with their raw grading. 

Since I collect a lot of esoteric GA that is more sparse I buy raw books but since that reglossing fiasco five or six years ago I avoid their raw books.