• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

90's cheap paper and grading?

5 posts in this topic

Hi - 

Not new to collecting, but deciding to grade some of my favorite issues. I have a newsstand Batman 457 that is in great condition, basically un-read, but has a slightly weak 'feel'. I guess how I would describe it is the paper quality from that run feels a little cheaper than some other eras. 

With that, the only issue I can see is slightly OW pages.

But the bigger question is - does that cheaper 'feel' affect the grade?

11 minutes ago, Jjmmm said:

Hi - 

Not new to collecting, but deciding to grade some of my favorite issues. I have a newsstand Batman 457 that is in great condition, basically un-read, but has a slightly weak 'feel'. I guess how I would describe it is the paper quality from that run feels a little cheaper than some other eras. 

With that, the only issue I can see is slightly OW pages.

But the bigger question is - does that cheaper 'feel' affect the grade?

It's just newspaper. Doesn't effect grade.

Yeah the only thing to watch is that a lot of late 80s and early 90s paper seems to soak up moisture and can leave you with a rippling effect. It is noticeable, the bottom of pages will appear rippled and there will be no real evidence of water damage. These books just need a good press is all. 

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah the only thing to watch is that a lot of late 80s and early 90s paper seems to soak up moisture and can leave you with a rippling effect. It is noticeable, the bottom of pages will appear rippled and there will be no real evidence of water damage. These books just need a good press is all. 

They aren't water-damaged and the rippling also appears at the top. It's just poor-quality paper.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:29 PM, Lazyboy said:

They aren't water-damaged and the rippling also appears at the top. It's just poor-quality paper.

Right, I just mean what causes the rippling is the fact that they did soak up moisture on a more microscopic level and were very sensitive to temperatues and humidity and rippled easy. But you don't see enough of it to where it damages the paper or stains or anything. Hence why a nice press can help :)