• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double cover pricing
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I was wondering how do you go about pricing a Double Cover? What factors come in to play?

There is only 1 copy graded of this particular book and this would not grade higher than the book on the census. 

There are no listings on ebay (with a double cover) of this book and none sold. 

It is also a GA book.

Any help would be awesome! 

13 minutes ago, Raze said:

I appreciate this. I missed talking to you at C2E2 this year. I know you couldnt make it but you are always fun to talk to.

A year without conventions. Who would have thought it? Hopefully next year things will get back to some sort of normal.

Double cover? Double price!

:flipbait:

Personally, if I had such a product, I'd start an auction at FMV. I imagine that it'd only go up from there (assuming there's an audience for the issue + double cover). It's tough for me to gauge values for a niche like this. Being GA, plus a title I'm not familiar with, and a double-cover.

Interesting question. My guess is that the pricing would be even higher where the double cover had the same grade for both covers with a Bronze, Silver, and Gold. I know of at least one Golden Age Church Copy with a double cover where they are both 9.6. The scarcity of such a double cover book makes it even more desirable. Not even going to get into Triple Covers...

Desirability plays a role for sure. Personally, if it is a "nothing" book, the most I might consider paying just to have it is 50% more than FMV. That would be the most. Genrally, I think a 25% mark up is fair and if selling in auction, would start there and see where it goes, if anywhere at all. 

21 hours ago, Raze said:

Hello everyone!

I was wondering how do you go about pricing a Double Cover? What factors come in to play?

There is only 1 copy graded of this particular book and this would not grade higher than the book on the census. 

There are no listings on ebay (with a double cover) of this book and none sold. 

It is also a GA book.

Any help would be awesome! 

As others have mentioned there can be a lot of factors and varying opinions that come into play. Definitely Condition and Desirability are two of the biggest. Although when looking at double covers the grade usually reflects the better of the two covers. ( on CGC Slabs) it would be the Lager number and the note the condition of the other cover in smaller print. Outside of those obscure books can also bring good money. With all that said it doesn't hurt to aim higher on the price range others have mentioned , as you never really know who may want it and can always entertain lower offers or reduce if it doesnt sell.  Something is only really worth what someone is willing to pay and in the oddball and obscure,  it can take a bit to get it in front of that buyer, unless you price it low and it gets snapped up by someone else who is only going to mark it up and willing to wait. 

Congratulations on finding the double cover and good luck! (thumbsu

14 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I think you mean that is one gorgeous copy, that is one gorgeous copy. 

In my defense,  I usually see double vision anyway (shrug) but correction noted and accepted. 

Although I do blame Wriggly.. Think it was something they used to put in their gum..6339dcb3e901c214a9a7832273631864.gif.ea69dcf323bed6361a2cdc0e9aff7c26.gif

:banana:

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

I guess we have another example of "from the ridiculous to the sublime."  I think I would've been tempted to discard the "Greggy" outer cover -- or maybe slice most of the back cover off, parallel to the spine. No offense to the owner, but I have to say that CGC's putting that in the label notes verbatim strikes me as sort of stupid (or example, would they repeat a profanity if that were on there?).