• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Your Assistance With Possible Berni Wrightson Signature!!
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Hello, all.  I'm looking to get some info and/or opinions from the board on something I found in my collection recently. (worship)

I'm going through my collection looking for stuff to sell raw or grade and sell (or keep).  I came across my copy of Batman: The Cult #1.  I haven't looked at this issue in a long time and I'd forgotten about the signature inside on Page 1.  I've done some research on Berni Wrightson's signature to see if there's a potential match, since it's the closest match I could find with people that worked on this series.  I don't remember where I got this and it doesn't come with a COA, etc.  I purchased the book as is a long time ago. (shrug)

To me, there seems to be a few similarities to his signature from CGC SS slabs I've researched.  I'm leaning towards a fake, but I'm trying to see if there's a chance it's genuine.  I have the entire mini-series for grading, but only one copy of each book and this one could grade lower (?) if the signature can't be verified.  Any thoughts, opinions, info, or questions would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks for your time!!! (thumbsu

20200914_102500.jpg

20200914_102514.jpg

20200914_102530.jpg

5 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

I have a few Bernie Wrightson books and his sig is not identical on any of them, I think its genuine

Soz about the poor pic but I cant scan slabs

Screenshot_1.png.caf5d5047b5449b13b31c6560bb3d6c3.png

That’s good to know.  This signature just looks a bit sloppy and like the one on your slab.  Plus, he signed inside the book, not the cover.  I just found it all odd.(shrug)

15 hours ago, revat said:

I’d lean no

I think i would lean towards no as well. The ending

20200915_131107.jpg.9e68988f490bfd71437afefb21bca5a1.jpg

just doesn't seem right with the break in it that I am not used to seeing on his Signature.  That said seeing a Signature on the inside was more commonplace in 80-90 as the artists and contributors didn't want to mess up the cover art.

22 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I think i would lean towards no as well. The ending

20200915_131107.jpg.9e68988f490bfd71437afefb21bca5a1.jpg

just doesn't seem right with the break in it that I am not used to seeing on his Signature.  That said seeing a Signature on the inside was more commonplace in 80-90 as the artists and contributors didn't want to mess up the cover art.

Makes sense not signing the cover.  That is the part of the signature I thought suspect.  Just doesn’t look right...

17 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I have never seen Bill Wray’s signature, but I think that is a possibility.

I'm sure since Sean suggested this yesterday, the OP must have done a Bill Wray search by now and concluded that this is Bill Wray.

Another fun signature mystery solved by Sean.

39 minutes ago, revat said:

I'm sure since Sean suggested this yesterday, the OP must have done a Bill Wray search by now and concluded that this is Bill Wray.

You mean Berni Wrightson, yes?  That's the signature I'm trying to confirm. :)

Just now, Galen130 said:
40 minutes ago, revat said:

You mean Berni Wrightson, yes?  That's the signature I'm trying to confirm. :)

well you asked yesterday if it was Berni Wrightson.  Sean suggested yesterday that it was "Bill Wray".  Given that you asked the initial question asking for help identifying the signature, and Bill Wray's name is on the front cover of the book just below Berni Wrightson's, I assumed you would have googled Bill Wray's signature to see if it looked anything like the signature on your book, because I did and its not even my question or my book.  Took me four seconds to find the answer.

If it sounds like i'm being condescending or sarcastic, I am.  Some internet stranger took time out of their day to give an opinion for FREE using their knowledge and experience to help you out, and you didn't do the barest reasonable minimum to consider they might be right.  And they were.

And no, this is not a big deal.  I get it.  But I think people looking for free help from internet strangers should be more considerate of the people they are asking for free help.

End of rant.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:52 PM, Galen130 said:

but only one copy of each book and this one could grade lower (?) if the signature can't be verified. 

Perhaps some dumb questions here - wouldn't this be a qualified label either way if you can’t remember who signed it or when?  Does it even matter if you solve the mystery at this point?  Even if everybody agrees they ‘think’ it is most likely a certain person no one can swear that it was signed by that person because no one can remember witnessing it.

Is this correct? 

Edited by Iconic1s

2 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

Perhaps some dumb questions here - wouldn't this be a qualified label either way if you can’t remember who signed it or when?  Does it even matter if you solve the mystery at this point?  Even if everybody agrees they ‘think’ it is most likely a certain person no one can swear that it was signed by that person because no one can remember witnessing it.

Is this correct? 

I don’t believe there was any talk of going for Cgc SS or having it slabbed or graded

On 9/14/2020 at 3:52 PM, Galen130 said:

I have the entire mini-series for grading, but only one copy of each book and this one could grade lower (?) if the signature can't be verified

2 minutes ago, revat said:

I don’t believe there was any talk of going for Cgc SS or having it slabbed or graded

Thanks, I guess I took the first quote above to mean CGC grading was the intent.  No worries then.

7 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

Thanks, I guess I took the first quote above to mean CGC grading was the intent.  No worries then.

No you’re right, I didn’t catch that part .

Edited by revat

11 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Of course it's his signature.

104294113_655448608384837_3936435774681464391_o.jpg

Unless it’s bill Wray, which it definitely is

17 minutes ago, Mighty Jack said:

You can kind of see it on this one. Bernie lifts his pen off the cover on the clown's forehead.

20201006_100349~2.jpg

Cool.

i guess it could also be a forgery or someone else entirely- or wrightson who made some type of mistake.  

but It really does look like a bill Wray sig, scribbled quickly. like go look it up (and yes I know I could post it, but in this case I though there was some value in having the OP learn to do his own research).

Edited by revat