• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

411 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Uh huh. XM268...that's, what, first $250k modern cover? I think so.

It’s going to be a big $ number no question about it. What a cover.

Jim Lee and Scott Williams. Uncanny X-Men. When these two artists work together I take notice. Zipatone, graphite....,.geez what an awesome cover. Gonna ask Mrs. 🍇🦍 to buy lottery tickets since I’m not a gambling man.

I wonder if Scott remembers working on this cover?

Edited by grapeape

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Do you mean the first one that sold for $250K already back in the day or something else?

No, I mean first "modern art" to achieve that number. We all know it's not really modern, being 30 years old already, but you know what I mean...

41 minutes ago, vodou said:

No, I mean first "modern art" to achieve that number. We all know it's not really modern, being 30 years old already, but you know what I mean...

That’s why I asked for clarification, because there’s a few McSpidey covers that broke the $250K threshold back in 2012.  Broke is an understatement...I think "shattered" is a better descriptor.

Edited by jjonahjameson11
addendum

36 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

That’s why I asked for clarification, because there’s a few McSpidey covers that broke the $250K threshold back in 2012.  Broke is an understatement...I think "shattered" is a better descriptor.

true; ASM 328, Spiderman 1, etc.

5 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

What is your definition? Amazing Spider-Man #328 is not modern art?

ASM328 is definitely modern. I just forgot about it, it's been a hobby lifetime now (six years) and...it never really hit my radar anyway (not my thing).

5 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

where do you draw the line for modern?

When the original Image Guys art got Image-y (so predating "Image", still at Marvel, but not Toddler in 1985!) and then everyone else stylistically followed? It's a blurry gray area though for me, easier to look at something and say "modern" or not, than give you a hard-line definition. Another way I tend to fall is does something look like an extension of "classic" 60s or not. Most 70s-80s extends from 60s (at Marvel anyway, I'm not well-versed on DC, so...?), most 90s-present extends from "Image-y".

On 9/14/2020 at 8:31 PM, Varanis said:

I'm with you. I've never gotten the appeal. 

Looking at it again, I think its the contradictions and unanswered questions I don't like.   WHy are they standing there?   What are the standing on?    Who are they looking at?     Why is Wolverine claws out ready to rumble like the foe is just off camera while Captain America is striking a relaxed pose like the villain is a mile down the road?    WTF is even going on besides three characters trying to look cool for no apparent reason for a showdown that may happen in two seconds or five minutes?    And what was Black Widow thinking with that haircut?   (:

Edited by Bronty

4 minutes ago, RBerman said:

We could drive ourselves mad applying real-world logic to images just intended to look cool. How is Batman supporting the weight of two grown men with just one hand? What is that rope attached to, far above the rooftops? When it swings as far as momentum will carry it, what was Batman planning to do besides swing back the way he came, probably hitting the side of a building and then falling several stories to his death? How can he walk without tripping, when a six foot drape is attached along the length of both arms? Etc.  But these are the tropes of the genre.

5a0018e2b43a7e0f50be4a56-large.jpg.04201dbf816231377a4f93c90e0b41e9.jpg

Well, I never cared for the Tec 27 cover either! ;)

They look like gods atop Mt. Olympus watching over the world. 

Its heroic, it’s iconic, and it’s done at the artistic peak during a memorable run of one of the premier books of all time.  When you buy something like this, you are buying a perfect moment in comics history. I would be shocked if this wasn’t at least 300k.