• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

411 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I would be shocked if this wasn’t at least 300k.

X-Men 268, right? I can see that. My 250k was actually paddle, not inclusive, so that's really 300k though I'll admit to not really thinking of it that way till now. (So easy to forget that, when it's not your money being spent anyway!) Sales tax, for those subject, that has to come into play for many of our coastal brethren too and could cause earlier bidder drop off. Dealers shucking sales tax...meh...spend 300k on this...where's the exit and how far out...? Dunno. Happy it's not what I really, really, want in life :)

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

Looking at it again, I think its the contradictions and unanswered questions I don't like.   WHy are they standing there?   What are the standing on?    Who are they looking at?     Why is Wolverine claws out ready to rumble like the foe is just off camera while Captain America is striking a relaxed pose like the villain is a mile down the road?    WTF is even going on besides three characters trying to look cool for no apparent reason for a showdown that may happen in two seconds or five minutes?    And what was Black Widow thinking with that haircut?   (:

I will get burned at the stake for this but I am not a fan of the cover. Some of the anatomy looks off in my opinion. Couple that with the fact that there is a 1950 Peanuts daily in this auction and I just can’t muster any excitement for this X-men cover. 

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Looking at it again, I think its the contradictions and unanswered questions I don't like.   WHy are they standing there?   What are the standing on?    Who are they looking at?     Why is Wolverine claws out ready to rumble like the foe is just off camera while Captain America is striking a relaxed pose like the villain is a mile down the road?    WTF is even going on besides three characters trying to look cool for no apparent reason for a showdown that may happen in two seconds or five minutes?    And what was Black Widow thinking with that haircut?   (:

Because 1990s. 

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Cover to “X-Men Annual,” Jim Lee, 1992 | Marvel comics covers, Marvel  comics art, Xmen comics

This one isn't inked by Scott Williams (as someone reminded me).....takes it out of the running for me. 

Lee/Williams X-men:  Accept No Substitutes™

Edited by comix4fun

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

This one isn't inked by Scott Williams (as someone reminded me).....takes it out of the running for me. 

Lee/Williams X-men:  Accept No Substitutes™

Appreciate the sentiment. Truly. But this is such a standout cover, much better than a bunch of the ones I inked in the series. I'd take this one over all of those, and I bet most of the serious Lee/Williams Xmen collectors/buyers would too.

1 minute ago, stinkininkin said:

Appreciate the sentiment. Truly. But this is such a standout cover, much better than a bunch of the ones I inked in the series. I'd take this one over all of those, and I bet most of the serious Lee/Williams Xmen collectors/buyers would too.

The X-men annual? Naw.  Great image, but there are a lot of reasons I think collectors stacking these next to each other (who've spent time in the Lee X-men OA pool) might not go in that direction.

Not to get into the " nostalgia = desire " rabbit hole, but everyone who read the series has a strong bond to the main X-men run and the first year of issues on the X-men spin off title, but the annual story didn't really work to get ingrained the same way. Nice cover, but doesn't give me the same feeling those other covers do. 

But, really, given their valuation making multiple examples daunting to acquire and if I had to choose a single Lee X-men cover example, I don't think I could take an all Lee or a Lee/Someone else over Lee/Williams....that's not me blowing smoke either. 

34 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Eh...not so sure about that. But it is a nice effort by Jim inking and it would look great on my wall.

44 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Eh...not so sure about that. But it is a nice effort by Jim inking and it would look great on my wall.

Did Sal Buscema ink any of the Jim Lee X-Men covers? That would be a million dollar cover! :facepalm:

Signed The Our Pal Sal Fan Club

h8 h8 h8 h8 h8 h8 h8 x 120 seconds

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Of your 4, here is the one I kept... 

xmen5cover.jpg

Scott

This cover is almost as bad as the #268.  No one would blame you if you sold it.  I will take this drek off your hands.  How about $650 plus whatever it costs for shipping?

:baiting:

Cheers !

N.