• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

411 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Did Sal Buscema ink any of the Jim Lee X-Men covers? That would be a million dollar cover! :facepalm:

Signed The Our Pal Sal Fan Club

h8 h8 h8 h8 h8 h8 h8 x 120 seconds

The unspeakable one of no discernible talent or importance would NEVER be allowed to touch an ARTSOC high value authorized investment grade artist such as Jim!!! Your file grows with each passing day, take heed!

26 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

The unspeakable one of no discernible talent or importance would NEVER be allowed to touch an ARTSOC high value authorized investment grade artist such as Jim!!! Your file grows with each passing day, take heed!

Zham, how dare you!!  

Sal-ites & Borissians, unite and cast aside this heretic... ommmmm.....

On 9/21/2020 at 11:28 AM, batman_fan said:

I will get burned at the stake for this but I am not a fan of the cover. Some of the anatomy looks off in my opinion. Couple that with the fact that there is a 1950 Peanuts daily in this auction and I just can’t muster any excitement for this X-men cover. 

I want to ask batman_fan what he thinks a 1950 page would hammer at but I'm afraid his alter-ego P-Nutz has designs on said treasure.

And remember "off" anatomy only adds to the value of art....see BWS 81, Finch X-Men Cover....:(

Edited by grapeape

13 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I want to ask batman_fan what he thinks a 1950 page would hammer at but I'm afraid his alter-ego P-Nutz has designs on said treasure.

And remember "off" anatomy only adds to the value of art....see BWS 81, Finch X-Men Cover....:(

I will answer under my P-Nutz persona.  It will got for somewhere between butt-load and left kidney range.  I could definitely see $60k+.  Does it hit over $100k?  Hard to say but there has definitely been movement in that direction for very early pieces.  It is Shermy versus one of the more popular modern characters but it also has a very early version of Snoopy.  The bit is only so-so but the piece is so early I am sure someone with much deeper pockets than me will end up with it.

23 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I will answer under my P-Nutz persona.  It will got for somewhere between butt-load and left kidney range.  I could definitely see $60k+.  Does it hit over $100k?  Hard to say but there has definitely been movement in that direction for very early pieces.  It is Shermy versus one of the more popular modern characters but it also has a very early version of Snoopy.  The bit is only so-so but the piece is so early I am sure someone with much deeper pockets than me will end up with it.

P-Nutz, you are wise. I swear on my social media feeds young'uns will post random pics of themselves with their Snoopy memorabilia, just out of the blue.  Because it makes them feel good.

That's power... oh, I mean, adorably cute.

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Regarding the 268 cover, I was certainly aware of it following its publication.  It was a wall book at every comic shop and dealers booth at conventions for years, and although I had stopped reading Xmen long before (Xmen 180 or thereabouts), I know this issue carries a substantial nostalgia factor.  I'm not going to guess what this cover will sell for, but having taken a recent look at Jim's covers, there are several I would personally want to own over the 268 cover:

Boom's Jim Lee X-Men Homage Covers For Power Rangers SDCC Exclusive Comics

Key Collector Comics - Jim Lee

The 15 Most Iconic Jim Lee Covers | CBR

Cover to “X-Men Annual,” Jim Lee, 1992 | Marvel comics covers, Marvel  comics art, Xmen comics

Why are Wolverine's arms always reared back in anticipation of striking?  I just googled "jim lee wolverine" and virtually every image has him reared back, often leading with his head/face.  He'd be better served with a claw on his nose instead of his hands.  

14 minutes ago, buttock said:

Why are Wolverine's arms always reared back in anticipation of striking?  I just googled "jim lee wolverine" and virtually every image has him reared back, often leading with his head/face.  He'd be better served with a claw on his nose instead of his hands.  

Is this a trick question?lol

The Brunner Dr. Strange #30 cover featuring Doc and Clea has been added to the auction, although the image is not yet available.  I’ve included a pic of the published cover for us to chat about.  I’ve also included a pic of the Production to compare the colour version against the b&w.

given the Aug 1978 cover date, this may have been Brunner’s last work at Marvel (aside from a Savage Sword of Conan story?) before he left for good because he "felt the romance with comics was over".  

image.thumb.jpeg.0c0d44827f0bd52b59d7f95d61e3e4c8.jpeg

image.jpeg.46eb88b23ce598cbedb89dcc15d840fd.jpeg

On 9/21/2020 at 9:57 AM, Bronty said:

Looking at it again, I think its the contradictions and unanswered questions I don't like.   WHy are they standing there?   What are the standing on?    Who are they looking at?     Why is Wolverine claws out ready to rumble like the foe is just off camera while Captain America is striking a relaxed pose like the villain is a mile down the road?    WTF is even going on besides three characters trying to look cool for no apparent reason for a showdown that may happen in two seconds or five minutes?    And what was Black Widow thinking with that haircut?   (:

Clearly Lee was making a statement about the geopolitical alliances in the 90s as it relates to America, Canada and Russia.

or it just looks cool 

9 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Of your 4, here is the one I kept... 

xmen5cover.jpg

Love this cover. Volume 2 #'s 1,2,3 and 5 are my personal favorites in the Lee/Williams run.  I know for most, Uncanny>v2, and I get it, but I'd rather have any of those over any of the Uncanny ones.  Although 271 and 274 are big favorites as well.  I understand all the love for 268, but it's never really excited me like it does others.  Part of that is I didn't come onboard until a couple of months after 268, so I don't have the same nostalgia for it.

Scott, was v2 #5 the last X-Men cover you and Jim did together?  Or did you do the Ghost Rider ones? (I suppose I could look it up, but when the man is right here...) I was always curious why you and Art Thibert more or less swapped books in 1992. I just assumed there was a ton of chaos around that time with deadlines and writer turnover and Image beginning to percolate in the distance, but wasn't sure if there was more to it than that.

Edited by rocket1312

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

It's rare for me not to "get" a Peanuts gag, but this one has me scratching my head.  

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

but I think I'd been inking Jim for almost 2 years and I thought I'd switch it up on my buddy Whilce Portacio and his Uncanny Xmen run

Also so so many ... lines.

If I were an inker, I'd have demanded to work with Steve Dillon.