• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

411 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

holy cow, this may blow past a lot of Comic Art hammers:

@Bronty ballpark?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous//p/7236-156001.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Ah, wow.   He was asking offers at 250+.  I don’t know if he didn’t get an offer he liked or decided to gamble or what.   That jayemdae tome doesn’t suck either.   I think he was asking 75+ offers on that?   We shall see.   

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Ah, wow.   He was asking offers at 250+.  I don’t know if he didn’t get an offer he liked or decided to gamble or what.   That jayemdae tome doesn’t suck either.   I think he was asking 75+ offers on that?   We shall see.   

jayemdae tome is more desired than Mana Flare and Contract from Below?  That's surprising to my outsider eyes,

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

For the uninitiated, what are we looking at here (besides a painting that looks straight out of Jr High art class of course)?

Im assuming some form of Magic card or something, but no copy up at that Heritage link. From an early set I presume, since so much of the art in later sets is so much more accomplished. Dumb old guys wanna know. :)

29 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

For the uninitiated, what are we looking at here (besides a painting that looks straight out of Jr High art class of course)?

Im assuming some form of Magic card or something, but no copy up at that Heritage link. From an early set I presume, since so much of the art in later sets is so much more accomplished. Dumb old guys wanna know. :)

Yes, an early Magic card... iconic and still effective (not easy to check all three boxes).  It lets you search for any card in your deck (library) and place it into your hand.  Was a gamechanger back in the day and still can be, though variations have proliferated since.

https://www.cardkingdom.com/mtg/3rd-edition/demonic-tutor

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

jayemdae tome is more desired than Mana Flare and Contract from Below?  That's surprising to my outsider eyes,

Better illustration and in the very early meta game, a better card.    Nothing else in the first set lets you draw extra cards Every turn besides howling mine, which has the drawback of doing the same for your opponent.   

Not a lot of card draw in the early meta game period.   Just what, ancestral, time twister, wheel of fortune, braingeyser besides the ones already discussed? 

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

OA for one of the key cards from the first set.  That’s all you need to know.  

I quite like the Jayemdae illo fwiw but yes Demonic looks high school.   Who cares?    The subject matter here is important and transcends.   Tec 27 cover blows too but if I see the OA at a flea market it’s coming home with me. 

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Take a look at the Fear card if you want to behold the Masterpiece that is Demonic Tutor. I know nothing, of course. It's interesting to watch as an outsider. Nostalgia vs craft, where is that old thread? And I learned there are soccer cards, which I never knew existed (makes sense, I suppose).

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

OA for one of the key cards from the first set.  That’s all you need to know.  

I quite like the Jayemdae illo fwiw but yes Demonic looks high school.   Who cares?    The subject matter here is important and transcends.   Tec 27 cover blows too but if I see the OA at a flea market it’s coming home with me. 

That’s really all I wanted to know. The significance. There had to be something to it, or it wouldn’t be what it is.

Like very early comic and D&D art, before someone realized that comics/games had real worth and started putting trained artists to work on it. Most of the art at the beginning is hot garbage, but there are many people willing to spend crazy $ on straight up amateur drawings if they have enough fond memories of the product it was used for, creating that supply/demand spark. Historic value.

I’m learning. It’s not for me, but it’s certainly fascinating to see.

On some level it’s like the commercial art version of Piero Manzoni. Someone had to be first. And the work sells, so...

Although I dunno that many are nostalgic for Manzoni? Maybe Gene? 

:)

Edited by ESeffinga

1 minute ago, ESeffinga said:

That’s really all I wanted to know. The significance. There had to be something to it, or it wouldn’t be what it is.

Like very early comic and D&D art, before someone realized that comics/games had real worth and started putting trained artists to work on it. Most of the art at the beginning is hot garbage, but there are many people willing to spend crazy $ on straight up amateur drawings if they have enough fond memories of the product it was used for, creating that supply/demand spark. Historic value.

I’m learning. It’s not for me, but it’s certainly fascinating to see.

On some level it’s like the commercial art version of Piero Manzoni. Someone had to be first. And the work sells, so...

:)

Yup, I remember as a kid finding the 1st ed. D&D books in my local library and being stunned by how crappy the art was.  Didn't matter.... spent all day poring over 'em.  The demons/devils and their leaders stood out.  :O

18 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

well.   That early, crude art is a mix.   Some of it is terrific, some of it is unspeakable.   But to add on to the point you made about the mix of artists changing, that's not always for the better.   By today you have this homogenous mass of corporate krap where everything looks the same and ZERO risks are taken.   The "Legends" set was the sweet spot for me in terms of the technical ability bar having been raised while still having that early artistic freedom.

But, all of it is too small (the originals for the early sets are 5x7 inches) for me to want to spend too much on the originals.   Not enough presence for me, and that's why I sold the pieces I did have years ago, although I can see why some people wouldn't care.

Edited by Bronty

I think you might be selling some of the new guys too short. There's certainly a ton of poo, like movies and music and any other creative endeavor. The more popular it is, the more folks try and get in on it. And the higher the quantity of people, the greater the volume of doo doo to be waded through. But I see a ton of talent out there. Some of it well known. Some of it I rarely see much of a mention about it.

Alas, to pick on Gene again, a lot of this goes back to something he has harped on before. The subdivision and volume of culture and content. In the past when we had 5 TV channels, 2 major comic companies, and a handful of record companies, there were generations of us largely listening to the same things. our interests as a society had a ton of crossover. And without that now, it really is easy for great work to get lost in the din.

I'd also argue that some of what made certain properties great was the idea behind them, more than the visual representation they put forward. Especially since so many were started in basements and small operations of a few friends at the beginning. No money to pay artists, or even an immature belief that their work was good enough for a final product.

Edited by ESeffinga

I don't disagree but the point is that the early days the artist had total license.   And now there's a lot of restrictions.   For better or worse that led to a lot of variance in quality and a high degree of risk taking early, and the inverse (low variance low risk taking) now.

Sucks the fun out of it. 

Big Two spandex books maybe? Certainly not for everything as a blanket statement. Not by a long shot. Plenty of books taking plenty of risks. Printing processes and capabilities far exceeed what was reproducible in the old books. If anything there is sooooo much more variety now. In quality of work as well as production of that work. Just like in the old days when the radio dominated people's music experience, you had to dig for the alternative stuff. And were rewarded for it. Just my .02¢

51 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I don't disagree but the point is that the early days the artist had total license.   And now there's a lot of restrictions.   For better or worse that led to a lot of variance in quality and a high degree of risk taking early, and the inverse (low variance low risk taking) now.

Sucks the fun out of it. 

I see it as simply: time to find the next great garage band.