• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2020 at 12:54 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

As a Spidey guy who likes Romita art, I should be all over this, but I’m finding it difficult to feel excited about this cover, because:

1. Um, it’s the Kangaroo.  Ohhhh, ahhhh, lame-o.

2. Spidey’s back is facing the reader, a deterrent for me.

3. It’s just a normal looking guy wanting to jump on (over?) Spidey.  No super villain costume, no death-ray or otherwise perilous contraptions to add to the frenzy and danger of the moment.  Just...YAWN 😴 

I would say this is 100% true of any other Spidey artist.  But Romita drew some amazing Spidey covers that include Spidey's back, which makes him appear more vulnerable, in my opinion.

Some of my favorites are:

Unknown-1.jpeg

(I realize this is stretching it...lol)

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-4.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by XxSpideyxX

On 10/14/2020 at 8:37 AM, Bronty said:

I believe he was discussing 82 actually.  Electro cover by Severin IIRC (published) versus a relatively strong Romita (unpublished).   The unpublished was much more pleasing to the eye and was by the artist with the stronger market value generally, so Mike was simply expressing a reasonable opinion, in my view. 

Does anyone have a link to this cover?  I can’t find it online and would love to see it!  

On 10/13/2020 at 4:51 PM, batman_fan said:

How crazy high will this one go?  Unpublished cover which can be hard to predict.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.49.45 PM.png

The Spidey image is a bit awkward but it's a Romita Spidey from the 60s (the very end of the 60s; probably drew this in September, 1969), and every little touch tells you that.  Romita's style shifted every so slightly over time (like many artists) and if you knew Romita well enough you could pick out the year he drew this even if you had never seen it before.

On 10/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, wombat said:

I almost never do this on here, but...

(worship)(worship)(worship)

A pretty fair fight - the shirtless hairy guy looks to have a slight edge in the strength department, HOWEVER the other combatant‘s fancy attire seems to suggest he’s done well for himself so he must be cunning and quite intelligent. It’s a classic battle of brains vs brawn. I will go against popular opinion and place my bet on the hairy guy solely because of the classic Obi-Wan “I have the high ground” advantage.

5E505A09-8F56-480A-A97C-F1BB46C9ADB2.jpeg

Edited by gumbydarnit

For me this is going to be one of the toughest HA auctions.  Just so much within my wheel house it is going to be impossible for me to focus.  Some takes

Amazing Spiderman panel page from Spiderman 10.  man I love the auction in this one.  I will be watching and potentially bidding but only up to a certain level which I am sure below the final hammer.

Peanuts daily from 1950 !   So early but not the best candidate.  Will definitely be watching but expect it to go higher than I am willing to pay.

Other peanuts strips, there are two I will make sure close pretty high, hoping to win at least one.

A few Krazy Kats that are cool.  How high will they go?

JR SR unpublished Spiderman cover - love it but won't be a serious bidder.

D ick Sprang repro Batman 20, I have wanted to snag ones of these for years but this one will likely slip out of my grasp

And don't get me started on the comics.  So many amazing GA Batman's and Detective's

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

For me this is going to be one of the toughest HA auctions.  Just so much within my wheel house it is going to be impossible for me to focus.  Some takes

Amazing Spiderman panel page from Spiderman 10.  man I love the auction in this one.  I will be watching and potentially bidding but only up to a certain level which I am sure below the final hammer.

Peanuts daily from 1950 !   So early but not the best candidate.  Will definitely be watching but expect it to go higher than I am willing to pay.

Other peanuts strips, there are two I will make sure close pretty high, hoping to win at least one.

A few Krazy Kats that are cool.  How high will they go?

JR SR unpublished Spiderman cover - love it but won't be a serious bidder.

D ick Sprang repro Batman 20, I have wanted to snag ones of these for years but this one will likely slip out of my grasp

And don't get me started on the comics.  So many amazing GA Batman's and Detective's

(thumbsu

There is an insane amount of quality OA and comics (for a change) in this auction.

Fortunately I don't collect Batman, otherwise I'd be telling my daughter it's time to consider taking a gap year.