• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

411 posts in this topic

So speaking of some non-MTG pieces, while the Frazetta painting didn't sell, the B&Ws did very well.

The Johnny Comet Sunday, with some beautiful drawings of race cars, went for $38,400.

The Swords of Mars drawing went for $93,000, which must be a record for a Frazetta B&W piece.  Just gorgeous, but I couldn't compete.  

More coming up on Day 2.

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

How can anyone place any stock in what the pre-live bids are?  I don't see how any rational person could be deceived.

And you’re right...to an extent. One or two days before auction that Jim Lee cover was at about 150k. It then ends at 300k. So double. The Deadpool cover stayed at $1,250 for the longest time, then it ticked up at $1950 the week of. I’m already out of the running, but if we’re doing “Jim Lee” performance then it should end at $4k. But that’s too low. So maybe 6k-7k? 10k being high but understandable. The OA is after all one single figure with no background. But no, it ends at 21k or 25k with the juice. So yeah, as a rational person I still say that was deceptively low!  

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think everyone was expecting a big $$$ from UXM 268, but I’d wager very few were expecting $72K for the Ghost Rider cover.  I was hoping to add it to my collection, but it nearly tripled my guestimate!  :sorry:

Wow, I just went to look when you mentioned it, that price surprised me too (and also doesn't to some degree with the way prices are going)

Malvin

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

How can anyone place any stock in what the pre-live bids are?  I don't see how any rational person could be deceived.

To my mind, all they really do is set the table and perhaps—perhaps— result in a final higher price. For inexpensive pieces with little demand, they tend to confirm the end price won’t be huge. I also try to stay away from early bidding at a realistic win number via proxy since I am concerned it might attract shills.

Let me add that there is a non-Phantom Stranger piece which looks like it is moving beyond what I will spend. Shame.

Edited by Rick2you2

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think everyone was expecting a big $$$ from UXM 268, but I’d wager very few were expecting $72K for the Ghost Rider cover.  I was hoping to add it to my collection, but it nearly tripled my guestimate!  :sorry:

That cover one of the greats from my younger comic collecting days. I thought $25-30K. Never saw that final bid in my wildest dreams.

The X-Men 2 Beast page that I got for 19.5k (in trades) earlier this year, and then I subsequently traded for a different page from the same book, ended up on Heritage and sold for 32,000 (38kwith BP)!

I suppose I could be bummed about money left on the table, but I’m actually happy as I figure it raises the value of my page.

for those keeping score it sold for 13k in 2017... that’s a crazy jump!

26 minutes ago, Grant Turner said:

The X-Men 2 Beast page that I got for 19.5k (in trades) earlier this year, and then I subsequently traded for a different page from the same book, ended up on Heritage and sold for 32,000 (38kwith BP)!

I suppose I could be bummed about money left on the table, but I’m actually happy as I figure it raises the value of my page.

for those keeping score it sold for 13k in 2017... that’s a crazy jump!

I was watching that as I know you traded it- I like the page you wound up with better and now it is pulled up by this one. I can not believe the price on the 16 page with just kirby breakdowns

My tastes differ from most. The lots that I found interesting were the four complete or nearly complete issues of Sugar and Spike.

All of them were sold sometime ago at a Nate Sanders auction and came from the garage of Sheldon Mayer's son.

Whoever bought them at that auction sold them on Heritage and took a hit - 54%!

image.png.afa030d7dd0a6f4d45f3c91887ae6f69.png

Edited by alxjhnsn

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

Fun to watch the epic battle for the 1950 Peanuts daily...was $84k w/ BP when "Lot closing, fair warning" then (at least) two bidders fought over it until it hammered at $192k.  Bravo, surely a record for a Peanuts daily.  :golfclap:

I'm always curious how other folks handle anonymous bidding in a live setting and whether any techniques ever actually work better than others.  I've used both the "wait for it" countdown, pulling the trigger at the very last moment each time, as well as the "I'll pound the bid button and up you instantly with each of your bids" techniques.  I really don't think either makes a difference, but in the moment it can be nice to think that somehow you're getting in the headspace of a rival.

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

My tastes differ from most. The lots that I found interesting were the four complete or nearly complete issues of Sugar and Spike.

All of them were sold sometime ago at a Nate Sanders auction and came from the garage of Sheldon Mayer's son.

Whoever bought them at that auction sold them on Heritage and took a hit.

Issue   Nate Sanders   Heritage        Delta           % Delta

#07      $11,384.00         $8,400.00      $2,984.00    26%

#10      $12,545.00         $10,200.00    $2,345.00    19%

#12      $11,835.00         $  4,800.00     $7,035.00    59%

#23      $11,663.00         $10,800.00     $   863.00    07%

I wondered if you were going for those pages.  It looks like the owner paid a little bit for the 

privilege of gazing at that nice art for a few years. 

I've got comic art that will never recover, let alone be considered an investment, but 

I still enjoy it.

With the hot art, and the downside art, still I enjoy the overall experience!

Best, David S. Albright

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I threw a bid in at the end on the Howard the Duck splash with Strange on it. That strikes me still as a steal.

Howard prices all over the place.  The 18 cover went for half what it once sold for, but still not low enough to entice me to be the high bidder because the cover image just doesn't appeal to me.  In published form (i.e. in color) it works great, but barely at all (for me) in black and white.       

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

Whoever bought them at that auction sold them on Heritage and took a hit.

Issue   Nate Sanders   Heritage        Delta           % Delta

#07      $11,384.00         $8,400.00      $2,984.00    26%

#10      $12,545.00         $10,200.00    $2,345.00    19%

#12      $11,835.00         $  4,800.00     $7,035.00    59%

#23      $11,663.00         $10,800.00     $   863.00    07%

I ended up falling victim to real life interfering with bidding (resulting in a me being away from home and with a lagging connection on the phone) and missed out on a Krazy Kat daily that suffered a similar fate to the Sugar and Spike pieces you were following.

I had my eye on the 9-5-32 daily which had previously sold in 2014 for just shy of $5,400.  It went for $4,080 today, which seems like a steal to me, especially when compared to the other daily which I didn't like nearly as much and which sold for $5,500.

I'll comfort myself with the thought that the winner was probably willing to go much higher than I could have / would have....