• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

411 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Fun to watch the epic battle for the 1950 Peanuts daily...was $84k w/ BP when "Lot closing, fair warning" then (at least) two bidders fought over it until it hammered at $192k.  Bravo, surely a record for a Peanuts daily.  :golfclap:

WOW

58 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

I ended up falling victim to real life interfering with bidding (resulting in a me being away from home and with a lagging connection on the phone) and missed out on a Krazy Kat daily that suffered a similar fate to the Sugar and Spike pieces you were following.

I had my eye on the 9-5-32 daily which had previously sold in 2014 for just shy of $5,400.  It went for $4,080 today, which seems like a steal to me, especially when compared to the other daily which I didn't like nearly as much and which sold for $5,500.

I'll comfort myself with the thought that the winner was probably willing to go much higher than I could have / would have....

I thought the Crazy Kats were real low.  I was hoping for something else in this auction but it wasn't meant to be.

3 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Fun to watch the epic battle for the 1950 Peanuts daily...was $84k w/ BP when "Lot closing, fair warning" then (at least) two bidders fought over it until it hammered at $192k.  Bravo, surely a record for a Peanuts daily.  :golfclap:

My estimate was between $50k and $100k.  I thought for a while it might go closer to $50k but then wow.

I made whoever won the two 1960's pieces pay quite a bit more for them so I guess I accomplished something :cry:

After losing them, I couldn't rationalize paying over $8k for the Mr Sprang Batman 20 recreation.  It was nice but too depressed on the Peanuts strips.

3 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I thought the Crazy Kats were real low.  I was hoping for something else in this auction but it wasn't meant to be.

Same here.  It seemed like a good buying opportunity, due to the fact that there were three nice Sundays up for grabs, as well as the two dailies.  I'm bummed out to have missed an opportunity today, but congrats to the winners all the same.

2 hours ago, bluechip said:

Howard prices all over the place.  The 18 cover went for half what it once sold for, but still not low enough to entice me to be the high bidder because the cover image just doesn't appeal to me.  In published form (i.e. in color) it works great, but barely at all (for me) in black and white.       

Can confirm all of this, especially the "all over the place." I probably think about Howard prices more than most people. A few splashes and covers entered the marketplace in the last 18 months or so, and the ones that didn't disappear again have met very different fates at auction. I feel like that 18 cover has been for sale one hundred sixty seven times in the last ten years - it might be my least favorite. Other covers have sold at much more healthy amounts, privately. That Howard/Dr Strange splash went for a very reasonable price, but some people might have been put off by the circular shape. 

1 hour ago, ShallowDan said:

Same here.  It seemed like a good buying opportunity, due to the fact that there were three nice Sundays up for grabs, as well as the two dailies.  I'm bummed out to have missed an opportunity today, but congrats to the winners all the same.

Plus the other Krazy Kat that sold yesterday at Weiss.

37 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Can confirm all of this, especially the "all over the place." I probably think about Howard prices more than most people. A few splashes and covers entered the marketplace in the last 18 months or so, and the ones that didn't disappear again have met very different fates at auction. I feel like that 18 cover has been for sale one hundred sixty seven times in the last ten years - it might be my least favorite. Other covers have sold at much more healthy amounts, privately. That Howard/Dr Strange splash went for a very reasonable price, but some people might have been put off by the circular shape. 

You're the Howard expert.  In fact, I most likely got "all over the place" from you. 

5 hours ago, John E. said:

That 1950 Peanuts entered live auction at 9.5K without the juice and ended at $205k with the juice. Ai'ight TTH2, ya got me :flamed:

NOBODY was showing their cards on this one. 

I think part of it, though, was because no one really had a good idea what this would go for, because there's no benchmark.

I thought it would break six figures, but didn't expect it to hit $200k.  Massive result!

5 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

My tastes differ from most. The lots that I found interesting were the four complete or nearly complete issues of Sugar and Spike.

All of them were sold sometime ago at a Nate Sanders auction and came from the garage of Sheldon Mayer's son.

Whoever bought them at that auction sold them on Heritage and took a hit.

Issue   Nate Sanders   Heritage        Delta           % Delta

#07      $11,384.00         $8,400.00      $2,984.00    26%

#10      $12,545.00         $10,200.00    $2,345.00    19%

#12      $11,835.00         $  4,800.00     $7,035.00    59%

#23      $11,663.00         $10,800.00     $   863.00    07%

Yikes!

20 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I know someone named Tim who is going to be very excited about this Peanuts strip coming up in Heritage's next auction.  It has his favorite two characters lol

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 8.27.32 PM.png

GAAAAAHHHHH!!!  Make it stop!  Please make it stop!!!

4 hours ago, aokartman said:

I wondered if you were going for those pages.  It looks like the owner paid a little bit for the 

privilege of gazing at that nice art for a few years. 

I've got comic art that will never recover, let alone be considered an investment, but 

I still enjoy it.

With the hot art, and the downside art, still I enjoy the overall experience!

Best, David S. Albright

Re: if you were going for those pages

Nope, too rich for my blood. I play in the kiddie's pool. :)

Re: looks like the owner paid a little bit for the privilege of gazing at that nice art for a few years

Not even that; the Nate Sanders auction was only 6 months ago!

As you can see, I adjusted for the BP and Seller's fee and his loss is about 54%!

Calculation.jpeg

Edited by alxjhnsn

38 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I think part of it, though, was because no one really had a good idea what this would go for, because there's no benchmark.

I thought it would break six figures, but didn't expect it to hit $200k.  Massive result!

It was a hard one to price.  From the 2nd month of the series with Snoopy but the bit was so-so.

Based on my records it crushed all previous sales.

I was watching it but once it hit ~$70k I was a passive watcher.

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I know someone named Tim who is going to be very excited about this Peanuts strip coming up in Heritage's next auction.  It has his favorite two characters lol

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 8.27.32 PM.png

That’s not half as bad as some of the ones with Marcie and PP lol

On 10/27/2020 at 5:50 PM, Rick2you2 said:

What interests me is the price it will go for, because Aparo prices have come down a bit for average pages. Someone else was trying to sell a complete story recently for an amount in the mid 20’s, although it has since been taken down from CAF (I don’t know why). What has happened in the past few months is a fair number of average panel pieces, with the Stranger, have dropped to the $500-1,000 range, and one below it. Without PS, they have been available below $500 for awhile. As is typical for these stories, the Stranger is not on a lot of the pages, so it has a relatively low breakup value. The art is very, very good, but the subject matter IMHO is a bit weak. I would expect there will be a disappointed seller who may not get $15,000 for this. 
Let me add that last year, I thought the prices for Aparo pages were being manipulated into a higher range. Perhaps it was just their relative scarcity for a while, but one never knows.

My prediction was on target. The winning bid was $14,000 plus Heritage’s 21% fee. I expect that this is the range these pieces will typically sell at for awhile, but, an exceptional piece, like a full splash, will do better.

11 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

My tastes differ from most. The lots that I found interesting were the four complete or nearly complete issues of Sugar and Spike.

All of them were sold sometime ago at a Nate Sanders auction and came from the garage of Sheldon Mayer's son.

Whoever bought them at that auction sold them on Heritage and took a hit - 54%!

image.png.afa030d7dd0a6f4d45f3c91887ae6f69.png

We may be seeing an interesting market bifurcation. The popular subjects and artists, be they Peanuts or Jim Lee, keep zooming up in price, while lesser subjects, like Sugar and Spike, Krazy Kat, or PS, don’t go up much, or actually drop. Or, maybe these are just flukes.

But a “hollowing out” market effect in which a market is bifurcated is indicative of an unhealthy general market. No, the world won’t crash, but pieces and/or artists which aren’t superstars may become more affordable (or sit around in inventory) as they are viewed differently by real world buyers.

7 hours ago, tth2 said:
13 hours ago, John E. said:

That 1950 Peanuts entered live auction at 9.5K without the juice and ended at $205k with the juice. Ai'ight TTH2, ya got me :flamed:

By the way, I'm seeing it at $192k, not $205k.

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

It was a hard one to price.  From the 2nd month of the series with Snoopy but the bit was so-so.

Based on my records it crushed all previous sales.

I was watching it but once it hit ~$70k I was a passive watcher.

Those are the factors that made this piece so hard to predict.

On the one hand it's very so-so, as you say, it features Shermy, who most people don't even remember, and Schulz was still a long way away from perfecting the style that most people remember and associate with Peanuts.

On the other hand, it features Snoopy and has the ultra-rarity factor from being such an incredibly early piece, probably the earliest piece that has ever come on the market.

Clearly the latter factors prevailed.