• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

411 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bronty said:
8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I know someone named Tim who is going to be very excited about this Peanuts strip coming up in Heritage's next auction.  It has his favorite two characters lol

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 8.27.32 PM.png

That’s not half as bad as some of the ones with Marcie and PP lol

That's true, but that's kind of like saying that sticking only one pin in your eye is better than sticking in two.

Some other notable results from Day 2:

Strong Carl Barks results, with the half page from FC 456 going for $55k and the page from US 63 going for $36k.  Surprisingly the US 61 page went for only $21k.  I was the underbidder, making this one of the few times I regret not being able to stay up for live bidding because I definitely would've been willing to throw in some more live bids, although of course there's no guarantee that the winner wouldn't have been willing to keep matching.

Milton Caniff Terry & the Pirates Sunday from 1939 went for $25k. Another one where I might have been tempted to push the bidding higher in live bidding.

The Peanuts Sunday from 1966 went for $38k, which surprised me because "Saucepans?!" is a pretty classic piece.  The Peanuts dailies from 1960 went for $29k and $30k respectively, which seems in line with both being strong pieces.

Wrightson Batman #320 cover went for $60k.

32 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Strong Carl Barks results, with the half page from FC 456 going for $55k and the page from US 63 going for $36k.  Surprisingly the US 61 page went for only $21k.  I was the underbidder, making this one of the few times I regret not being able to stay up for live bidding because I definitely would've been willing to throw in some more live bids, although of course there's no guarantee that the winner wouldn't have been willing to keep matching.

I was surprised by this one as well.  I'm guessing it was a similar situation to what I mentioned with the Herriman pieces, where there were more available in a single auction than is the norm.

23 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think everyone was expecting a big $$$ from UXM 268, but I’d wager very few were expecting $72K for the Ghost Rider cover.  I was hoping to add it to my collection, but it nearly tripled my guestimate!  :sorry:

the UXM 268 cover went for just about what I thought it would do, but that Ghost Rider cover ended much higher than I expected. It's a great image, one that I remember quite well, but that has to be a record for Jim's non-X-Men Marvel work, right? 

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Krazy Kat is a lesser subject?!?

I wasn’t so much commenting on Krazy Kat as commenting on how it appeared in this bidding round. Is this evidence of a market bifurcation? If people assume that art goes up an average of X% per year, and it turns out there are really two different sub-markets in existence, going up—or down— at different rates, that should affect future predictive cost and price. 

Of course, Krazy Kat is historically important. The lower prices could be evidence of the wrong bidders in attendance, the economy overall, the specific pieces, or any number of other variables.

But, is there evidence of market bifurcation? I think there is, but I don’t know if it really shows up in this auction. Alex’s evidence is yes. My PS analysis is yes. Any others?

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

Milton Caniff Terry & the Pirates Sunday from 1939 went for $25k. Another one where I might have been tempted to push the bidding higher in live bidding.

The Peanuts Sunday from 1966 went for $38k, which surprised me because "Saucepans?!" is a pretty classic piece.  The Peanuts dailies from 1960 went for $29k and $30k respectively, which seems in line with both being strong pieces.

Wrightson Batman #320 cover went for $60k.

These would have gone for the low $20s if I hadn't been bidding. 

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I wasn’t so much commenting on Krazy Kat as commenting on how it appeared in this bidding round. Is this evidence of a market bifurcation? If people assume that art goes up an average of X% per year, and it turns out there are really two different sub-markets in existence, going up—or down— at different rates, that should affect future predictive cost and price. 

Of course, Krazy Kat is historically important. The lower prices could be evidence of the wrong bidders in attendance, the economy overall, the specific pieces, or any number of other variables.

But, is there evidence of market bifurcation? I think there is, but I don’t know if it really shows up in this auction. Alex’s evidence is yes. My PS analysis is yes. Any others?

I think the Krazys in this auction weren't that remarkable, but that's just me. The prices were healthy but not an advance on where they were a year ago as far as I can tell.

I am not sure why the Everett Subby 54 p2 was in the 'cheap' day - my internet went a bit wonky but I saw the winner place a high 'shock' bid and it was gone in seconds.

I have the page after and had this one on my want list for many years so I was excited to bid...but the shock and awe technique worked - $16.2K with the BP

$15k for the Howard Porter JLA #1 cover is something I think will get looked back upon as a great buy. In fact I’m looking upon it now...congrats to the buyer! I was out around 10, but shocked it was close.

Iconic series, #1 issue, great rendering of the DC big guns. Maybe because Howard Porter isn’t really revered as much as others? Great buy.

Interesting to see where the Kurtzman Little Annie Fanny prelims ended: https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/miscellaneous/harvey-kurtzman-unpublished-little-annie-fanny-story-preliminary-original-art-in-a-folder-hmh-publishing-/a/7236-95242.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

I figure there are maybe six people in the world who care about such stuff, but these little books are really cool.  Kurtzman was a messy perfectionist working for an anal perfectionist (Hef), which meant the production of this strip was insanely over-edited, with multiple drafts of gags and such - seeing Kurtzman's initial ideas and the energy of his prelims, and the amount of storytelling he can fit into some sepia blobs, then colored blobs, is astounding. Also astounding: getting to see Hef's picky-to-the-point-of-maddening edits. I bought a couple of these books a while ago and hoped I could pick up more before they were discovered. Alas.  Healthy price. Also: this isn't unpublished, but I'm guessing the high bidder (and underbidder, at least) already knew this. 

3 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

I am not sure why the Everett Subby 54 p2 was in the 'cheap' day - my internet went a bit wonky but I saw the winner place a high 'shock' bid and it was gone in seconds.

I have the page after and had this one on my want list for many years so I was excited to bid...but the shock and awe technique worked - $16.2K with the BP

That was a very impressive price.  About 3X comps for similar era pages, but it was a really great example.  

The Crumb Bukowski material sold well. I wanted all of it but the two I wanted the most, went for the most. It was nostalgia for me as a huge fan of Bukowski in particular. 

I sadly came away empty handed but am glad the public recognized this work.

I do have a rare Bukowski poster done by Crumb and signed by Bukowski.

This auction really had a lot of eye opening moments. I think that big money is going towards that one example that makes everyone say Holy S !!!!

Ditko ASM

McFarlane ASM

Lee X Men Cover

Big dollars on I think very representative art. It’s also clear Watchmen joins Killing Joke in the “out of your league” pricing with this auction and the page Will G sold just recently. 
The Ghost Rider Cover Wow!!!!

And again collectors hate reserves.

We want to compete.

That’s gotta drive HA crazy I assume they’d rather have a guarantee sale —but even unsold the Frazetta and Kirby FF 55 brought  drama and beauty to auction.