• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

411 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I did at least 2 or 3 of the Ghost Rider covers. As for the switch? It was my choice. I don't remember for sure, but I think I'd been inking Jim for almost 2 years and I thought I'd switch it up on my buddy Whilce Portacio and his Uncanny Xmen run. I was a fan of both these artists and sometimes I wanted some variety. People think of me as only Jim's inker these days, but I inked LOTS of artists back then. And at one point right after Xmen, I was inking Jim on Wildcats, Whilce on Wetorks, and Marc Silvestri on Cyberforce, all at the same time. Not to mention special events, covers, random interiors and Swimsuit specials. I worked 15 hour days 7 days a week back then. Madness!

Yup, and I think you inked a Keown PITT cover as well.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:57 AM, Bronty said:

Looking at it again, I think its the contradictions and unanswered questions I don't like.   WHy are they standing there?   What are the standing on?    Who are they looking at?     Why is Wolverine claws out ready to rumble like the foe is just off camera while Captain America is striking a relaxed pose like the villain is a mile down the road?    WTF is even going on besides three characters trying to look cool for no apparent reason for a showdown that may happen in two seconds or five minutes?    And what was Black Widow thinking with that haircut?   (:

On 9/22/2020 at 6:59 PM, Carl Elvis said:

...or it just looks cool 

^ This is literally the reason. That's why Japanese heroes do nonsensical stuff like this:

But there's a method to the madness. Looking cool attracts customers to a comic book. We judge them by the cover. If you want to make it practical, look at it like the Japanese TV hero shows. Showing off your cool pose before you attack your opponent strikes fear in their hearts! Back to covers, even if the interiors are crud (not in Jim's case, of course), a good cover will still pull people in. Back to practical real life (or shows) again, the same can be said for fighting. Take Johnny from The Last Dragon:

But seriously, it really is all about the cool pose, not practicality. A cover is just a showcase. Cool characters, cool poses, cool art!

Edited by BuraddoRun

1 hour ago, BuraddoRun said:

^ This is literally the reason. That's why Japanese heroes do nonsensical stuff like this:

But there's a method to the madness. Looking cool attracts customers to a comic book. We judge them by the cover. If you want to make it practical, look at it like the Japanese TV hero shows. Showing off your cool pose before you attack your opponent strikes fear in their hearts! Back to covers, even if the interiors are (not in Jim's case, of course), a good cover will still pull people in. Back to practical real life (or shows) again, the same can be said for fighting. Take Johnny from The Last Dragon:

But seriously, it really is all about the cool pose, not practicality. A cover is just a showcase. Cool characters, cool poses, cool art!

I wrote the forward for the Jim Lee Xmen Artist Edition that is coming soon, and one of my comments referring to Jim's art was "Don't underestimate the power of cool". :headbang:

Hey, all you Sal Buscema fans!  The Sal-tacular cover to DD Annual #2 has been posted, featuring a nice, large image of DD fighting Bird-Man and Cat-Man in an all out effort to save a damsel in distress.  Although the pic of the OA isn't yet available, here's an image of the published cover to gush, guffaw, and drool over until the OA pic is uploaded.

What say you about an auction estimate?  $75K?

See the source image

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Hey, all you Sal Buscema fans!  The Sal-tacular cover to DD Annual #2 has been posted, featuring a nice, large image of DD fighting Bird-Man and Cat-Man in an all out effort to save a damsel in distress.  Although the pic of the OA isn't yet available, here's an image of the published cover to gush, guffaw, and drool over until the OA pic is uploaded.

See the source image

The committee has approved this average cover by this throughly non-special and non-influential “artist” only @ 30k. All bids over that will be meet with scorn and derision by our party loyalists.

:::takes off ARTSOC hat:::

Its nice but the content isn’t really hitting me. I would be surprised at 75.

Edited by zhamlau

::wakes up tied to a chair in a room with a single lightbulb swinging from the ceiling, as two somewhat mediocre figures emerge from the shadows::

"S... Sal-drawn Daredevil and Cat-Man??"

"That's right, chump... how much we worth?  How much??"

"A... a hundred grand? 500k??"

"Not good enough?!!"

"800k??  This is just a dream, a bad dream!"

"Oh, the nightmare's only beginning for you.  Guards, unleash the Boris HydraManticorePegasusDryadMulletedWTF Beast!!"

"NooooOooooo...."

8 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

::wakes up tied to a chair in a room with a single lightbulb swinging from the ceiling, as two somewhat mediocre figures emerge from the shadows::

"S... Sal-drawn Daredevil and Cat-Man??"

"That's right, chump... how much we worth?  How much??"

"A... a hundred grand? 500k??"

"Not good enough?!!"

"800k??  This is just a dream, a bad dream!"

"Oh, the nightmare's only beginning for you.  Guards, unleash the Boris HydraManticorePegasusDryadMulletedWTF Beast!!"

"NooooOooooo...."

Oh, if that was *all* you had to worry about.

defenders elf.jpg

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

See the source image

C’mon man! You could buy two Finch X-Men Covers with that kind of dough!

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

See the source image

904E0F61-2AC9-4279-A74C-E3B0CCFEA428.jpeg.b250819d14623a974eb903ac943e7371.jpeg

10 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Y'all understand that the Cult of Sal is just a well-meaning inside joke, right?  Seeing how we carry on, newcomers might mistake him for the second coming or someth--urrk

::silenced::

318381E5-6A89-42DC-A730-CBF1F26B6CAC.jpeg.b79faf2edadb48b72fd7af23a1e69a43.jpeg