The Official November Heritage Auction Thread
2 2

414 posts in this topic

2,628 posts
10 hours ago, aokartman said:

It is interesting to watch (from a distance) how the resale of collections unfolds.  As estates dissolve, opportunities arise.

I've been picky lately and trying to sell more than buy.  David

 

Are we now seeing the beginning of a tipping point where the willingness to spend a lot will exceed the expected high prices due to the volume of material coming onto the market? Not all at once, for sure, and not all at this auction, but I will be curious to see if some of these don’t make their expected sales prices. Not a bubble bursting, just some air leaking from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196 posts

I had previously taken a peek back at the beginning of the thread when the first few lots were listed, but finally sat down and went through everything being offered up this go-around.  It strikes me as one of the best mixes of art that they've offered in a while.  That view is admittedly tainted a bit by the comparison to September's lackluster selection, but November's auction seems to have something for all interests and definitely has me tracking more lots than I have in a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,226 posts
9 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Are we now seeing the beginning of a tipping point where the willingness to spend a lot will exceed the expected high prices due to the volume of material coming onto the market? Not all at once, for sure, and not all at this auction, but I will be curious to see if some of these don’t make their expected sales prices. Not a bubble bursting, just some air leaking from it.

Hard to say. The most deciding factor would be how hard hit people were by covid and if the average collector is unable to participate since they don't have any spare funds to use in this auction with the possibility that many of these pieces might even be in auction to raise funds for those who were affected.

On the other hand you have plenty of people who are insulated from covid in this hobby like the top 1% of collectors who would still have have funds and were able to for the most part to work from their homes so the high-end pieces shouldn't really be affected since it was a small pool from the start. Same goes for dealers who will be sure to scoop up any lots they perceive as undervalued and list marked up on their sites. And of course you just have characters that are ridiculously popular like Batman which has such a huge collector audience that even with post-covid numbers you'd still have large amount of people interested in bidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,628 posts
31 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Hard to say. The most deciding factor would be how hard hit people were by covid and if the average collector is unable to participate since they don't have any spare funds to use in this auction with the possibility that many of these pieces might even be in auction to raise funds for those who were affected.

On the other hand you have plenty of people who are insulated from covid in this hobby like the top 1% of collectors who would still have have funds and were able to for the most part to work from their homes so the high-end pieces shouldn't really be affected since it was a small pool from the start. Same goes for dealers who will be sure to scoop up any lots they perceive as undervalued and list marked up on their sites. And of course you just have characters that are ridiculously popular like Batman which has such a huge collector audience that even with post-covid numbers you'd still have large amount of people interested in bidding.

I’m thinking of the “long run” tipping point where even those not particularly affected by the Coronavirus may have decided to sell off. There seem to have been a number of large collections in the past year that are being sold off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,628 posts
On 10/11/2020 at 2:53 PM, batman_fan said:

This piece seems like it might but right up a boardies alley.

Cool Splash

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 12.51.14 PM.png

What interests me is the price it will go for, because Aparo prices have come down a bit for average pages. Someone else was trying to sell a complete story recently for an amount in the mid 20’s, although it has since been taken down from CAF (I don’t know why). What has happened in the past few months is a fair number of average panel pieces, with the Stranger, have dropped to the $500-1,000 range, and one below it. Without PS, they have been available below $500 for awhile. As is typical for these stories, the Stranger is not on a lot of the pages, so it has a relatively low breakup value. The art is very, very good, but the subject matter IMHO is a bit weak. I would expect there will be a disappointed seller who may not get $15,000 for this. 
Let me add that last year, I thought the prices for Aparo pages were being manipulated into a higher range. Perhaps it was just their relative scarcity for a while, but one never knows.

Edited by Rick2you2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,949 posts

I know you've said you're not into it, but if you can afford it and/or make it work, how can you not take a run at it?    I think you'll regret it if you don't.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,628 posts
2 hours ago, Bronty said:

I know you've said you're not into it, but if you can afford it and/or make it work, how can you not take a run at it?    I think you'll regret it if you don't.    

Because I don’t like it very much. While I would like a splash, I would rather get a dozen, or a half, or two, of different artists. I love the variety, And, if I ever did buy a whole story, it would be a better one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,078 posts
5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Bidding opens tomorrow. (thumbsu

Good luck to all (except those bidding against me) 😉

Please remember to wear a cup, we don't want any injuries out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
940 posts

Original Comic Art:Covers, Frank Frazetta Creepy #4 Cover Painting Original Art (Warren, 1965).

Frazetta Creepy 4 cover art already at $110 K with BP, though there is a possible reserve not posted until Nov. 12.

14 X 19 image area.  Mixed media on illustration board.

David

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,186 posts

My brain is a sieve. Does anyone else remember this splash coming up in an auction within the last, I dunno, 5 years, with some kind of whiteout or corrections involving the train in Titan's...paws? Are those paws?  Fins? Anyway, the train looks odd to my eye and I feel like this was discussed before.  https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/jack-kirby-and-russ-heath-tales-of-suspense-28-splash-page-1-original-art-marvel-1962-/a/7236-94083.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
940 posts
1 hour ago, glendgold said:

My brain is a sieve. Does anyone else remember this splash coming up in an auction within the last, I dunno, 5 years, with some kind of whiteout or corrections involving the train in Titan's...paws? Are those paws?  Fins? Anyway, the train looks odd to my eye and I feel like this was discussed before.  https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/splash-pages/jack-kirby-and-russ-heath-tales-of-suspense-28-splash-page-1-original-art-marvel-1962-/a/7236-94083.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

 

iQbJ8Chq_2307181605571gpaiadd.jpg

As published, it seems the train was removed, or was added onto the original art after publication?

From the Jeff Gorrell CAF page.... "I've added a color image of the splash page that was actually published. It's not the same as the original art. The best I can figure is that Kirby needed to simplify the splash page; he redrew the section with all of the building damage so that Titan's arm is menacing but not hitting the buildings. The redrawn area would have been removed once the page was printer ready, leaving the original damaged buildings in the final version of the art. Apparently, someone tried to remove the white out or the overlay for those buildings. The result is fairly amateurish with some less-than-smooth inking in that area."

From the same estate, a batch of Alex Raymond RIP KIRBY dailies.

David

Edited by aokartman
text added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,186 posts
17 minutes ago, aokartman said:

iQbJ8Chq_2307181605571gpaiadd.jpg

As published, it seems the train was removed, or was added onto the original art after publication?

From the Jeff Gorrell CAF page.... "I've added a color image of the splash page that was actually published. It's not the same as the original art. The best I can figure is that Kirby needed to simplify the splash page; he redrew the section with all of the building damage so that Titan's arm is menacing but not hitting the buildings. The redrawn area would have been removed once the page was printer ready, leaving the original damaged buildings in the final version of the art. Apparently, someone tried to remove the white out or the overlay for those buildings. The result is fairly amateurish with some less-than-smooth inking in that area."

David

Ah...right. This is ringing some bells. Someone theorized that the Code didn't like the train smashing -- too scary.  Thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,968 posts
3 hours ago, glendgold said:

Ah...right. This is ringing some bells. Someone theorized that the Code didn't like the train smashing -- too scary.  Thanks for the info.

If I recall correctly, it was auctioned (or Buy it Now/Best Offer) on eBay within the last 5 years and sold for a very reasonable price.  But I do believe there was some whiteout or damage or discrepancy with the published image that may have factored into what it sold for.

Edited by dem1138

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
440 posts

This McSpidey is currently at $49.2k w/BP...I guesstimate that it will have breezed past $65k(all in), before the floor bidding begins...let's all recalibrate.

[...wonder if 'they' will throw another Nason/McSpidey page out in one of the Sunday auctions before the next Signature auction?]

20201107_150924.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2