• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA Auction
2 2

85 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Peter G said:

So what is the current record for a Jim Lee cover and how much do we think this will blow that away?

1 minute ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

So what is the current record for a Jim Lee cover and how much do we think this will blow that away?

Not sure. Just noticed the other thread on this topic. 250k is being bandied about. I suppose it’s possible.

3 hours ago, Peter G said:

Not sure. Just noticed the other thread on this topic. 250k is being bandied about. I suppose it’s possible.

I told Scott a year or two or three ago that I thought it was a $250K cover even then.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't get there now, as we're living in a world where some guy in China just paid $720K for a freaking French bulldog.  A 2016 Fernando Tatis Jr. rookie card (when he was like a 16-year old draftee) sold for $217K last month before the guy had even had 500 MLB at-bats.  That Frazetta recreation hit $1.2 million last week, a 4-bagger over where you could have bought it in 2015.     

So, $250K+ for a top 5 (if not top 2 or 3) Lee/Williams cover?  Yes, I do believe so in this market.  After all, $250K is only like 6 1/2 Erik Larsen panel pages these days. :p 

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

So, $250K+ for a top 5 (if not top 2 or 3) Lee/Williams cover?  Yes, I do believe so in this market.

That's how I saw it when I wrote the 250k comment in the other thread. For those collecting comics/X-Men at the time, this issue, fresh off the rack, was a great fun read, if you weren't totally jaded by comics by then, still a Marvel Universe zombie (that's me)...it fired all the fanboy neurons. I'm not at all interested in the cover artistically, nor "at FMV" (ugh!) but I absolutely understand how someone else my age could/would call it: Grail. And be ready to beat at least one other guy up to 1/4 Mil for it. It is surreal to write, but really...250k isn't even big money anymore, anywhere. It just isn't...broadly...not specific to anybody's personal bank account. Just broadly. And it just takes two to step up, not 300 of us.

11 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I thought 150k but who knows anymore.

Well, it was never going to be $150K.  There would be a line of guys wrapped around the block at $150K and I'd be fighting for a place in the front at that price.  I mean, there doesn't even exist an alternate universe whereby this cover is only worth about the same as a B+ Killing Joke page.  We're talking about a top 5 (if not top 2 or 3) cover by arguably the most popular comic artist of the past 30 years in an economy where trillions of dollars have been dumped into the system all at once.

Edited by delekkerste

18 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

This happened to be my cover when we split up covers in 1990. I sold if for $650 at San Diego that same year. That might have been, um, a mistake.:facepalm:

Ouch!

How do you rate this cover? Is it one of the top 5 by the Lee/Williams team?

20 hours ago, Peter G said:

I have no nostalgic memory of this issue and so far as I know the story isn't being incorporated into any films, so my only response begins and ends with "fairly good cover for its time".

Which is not to say I need nostalgia or that a piece needs to have some place in culture for me.  I have zero personal connection to that Chamber of Chills cover which sold high in the recent auction, and I wasn't even aware that it was reused by a band.  But at first sight I saw it as a superb example of its genre and its time and felt that anybody with an eye could also glean from a first viewing.   

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

This happened to be my cover when we split up covers in 1990. I sold if for $650 at San Diego that same year. That might have been, um, a mistake.:facepalm:

I want to laugh but I cant. Who could have known Scott? Other then Vodou...