• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA Auction
2 2

85 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I thought 150k but who knows anymore.

150K is the old 50K and of course while the government keeping putting and printing money out there-3 trillion recently...you will see some prices pumped up.

Edited by Mmehdy

What's the difference between the X-Men 268 (1990) cover and the David Finch 494 X-Men (2008) cover?

About 18 years of nostalgia.

Both are iconic generic inventory covers that will always get top $.  

Kudos to the seller for hanging onto the Jim Lee cover for as long as he did.  The patience pays off.  

As for Scott, $650 was a lot of money back then for an up and coming artist.  I think Scott's done just fine over the long haul.

19 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

What's the difference between the X-Men 268 (1990) cover and the David Finch 494 X-Men (2008) cover?

About 18 years of nostalgia.

The Lee one is from a very well-remembered story from a time when the series had the highest consistent sales numbers ever, and when comic issues were a much bigger deal.  

The Finch one is fine, but was a significant issue for a far smaller number of people.  

I bought that Lee one off the stands in 8th grade.  It wasn't even one of my favorite issues, but I remember everyone talking about it at the time.  

Point being the Finch will never overtake that ground, regardless of the length of time, because it didn't have an impact on nearly as many people. 

No argument on nostalgia, but some nostalgia's more popular than others.  18 years from now, how many people will think back fondly on Messiah Complex as their favorite X-Men story?  

1 hour ago, bisquitodoom said:

The Lee one is from a very well-remembered story from a time when the series had the highest consistent sales numbers ever, and when comic issues were a much bigger deal.  

The Finch one is fine, but was a significant issue for a far smaller number of people.  

I bought that Lee one off the stands in 8th grade.  It wasn't even one of my favorite issues, but I remember everyone talking about it at the time.  

In my opinion, X-Men #268 is the most memorable story from the Claremont/Lee/Williams run.  Of course X-Men #1 sold a gajillion copies, but, #268 is the story that everyone remembers and is many fans' personal favorite from the Lee-drawn X-Men issues (it certainly is for me).  

IMO, the X-Men #1 gatefold cover is the best Lee/Williams cover out there.  Hard to argue that a multi-page cover with all the principal X-Men from the best-selling single comic ever isn't the most valuable/desirable.  After that, there's UXM #268 and maybe the Batman #608 (flying boot version), Batman #608 RRP variant and the Batman #619 wraparound covers fighting it out to round out the top 5, at least for me - these are what I consider to be the best/most memorable covers from the two runs by the artistic tandem that are most fondly remembered/appreciated by the fans. 2c 

Time for me to whip out the comics... crazily enough, I've never given the UXM run a proper read.  My grade school mind was too distracted by X-Men Vol. 2.

Update: #268 was very fun and vaguely familiar.  Going through #269 now and this is BONKERS.  Rogue, Marvel Girl, Polaris, Reavers, Storm and Jean Grey... and now LEGION and the Shadow King?  Woo !

Edited by exitmusicblue

6 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I've done alright over the 40 years I've collected, and hindsight is always 20/20. I've bought art at prices that seems impossibly cheap now that still make up a significant part of my collection.

I will say however that on just the stuff I've worked on like Xmen, which is art that I didn't just help create but actually owned and sold, as well as a huge amount of the Batman art I did, if I'd kept it all, it would be valued into the millions. Of course if I knew then what I know now...

Overall, I am am EXTREMELY fortunate and grateful to have the art and resources I do. ZERO complaints!

And there's something to say for the fact that the stuff you helped create is in others' hands to enjoy. It's pretty awesome that you're an art collector yourself, but equally awesome that you didn't hold all of your stuff and have shared (even through selling) it with other grateful collectors out there.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Definitely not me. $650 was insane money for something "new" 30 years ago. Just ask Burkey, you could get x3 (or more) Romita ASM panel pages for that!

Haha no need to ask him he shares that story all the time. Absolutely true $650 was a lot of money to accept at a time where 5 figure comic art sales were virtually nil and 6 figures? “C’mon man...”

6 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

And should the X-Men 1 gatefold cover ever hit the market. . . . .

This is one of my favorite X-Men covers, personally, definitely top 5. I still remember picking up the newsstand edition in a grocery store (maybe Safeway?) when I was a kid. This Wolvie/Cap/Widow cover we're talking about is not in my top 5, but it is definitely AWESOME, and won't surprise me if it hits or surpasses that 250K we're guessing.

6 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

And should the X-Men 1 gatefold cover ever hit the market. . . . .

Knowing first hand the trajectory of these Xmen cover prices, I have begun to wonder over the last year or two if the Xmen 1 gatefold cover could hit a million dollars at auction? It's drawn on 4 separate boards and was put out as 4 separate covers as well as a 5th collected cover. Arguably the most memorable and most famous cover of our careers. $250k X4 perhaps? I sort of doubt it could actually hit that number (so far) due to the psychological barrier of a one million dollar price tag, but it's interesting to speculate on.

Edited by stinkininkin

15 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Knowing first hand the trajectory of these Xmen cover prices, I have begun to wonder over the last year or two if the Xmen 1 gatefold cover could hit a million dollars at auction? It's drawn on 4 separate boards and was put out as 4 separate covers as well as a 5th collected cover. Arguably the most memorable and most famous cover of our careers. $250k X4 perhaps? I sort of doubt it could actually hit that number (so far) due to the psychological barrier of a one million dollar price tag, but it's interesting to speculate on.

Anything is possible Scott. There are people with money willing to pay big bucks for what they want. This is Boxing Champ Floyd Mayweather. He spends six figures on a personal barber.

A personal....barber.

And he’s bald. 

9162A270-6F45-4692-B203-84808B95BA56.jpeg.d0b8ee2e7aedbf27ff6ad7a5fcf6944a.jpeg

11 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

This happened to be my cover when we split up covers in 1990. I sold if for $650 at San Diego that same year. That might have been, um, a mistake.:facepalm:

Have you listened to the exclusive podcasts with Albert and The Vacuum yet? The crazy thing is that they BOTH brought up this cover, independently. It's like something was in the air...

When the art then showed up with Scott Dunbier to be scanned for Jim's Artist's Edition, Albert told me "It's going to Heritage." He knew. Based on nothing except his observation that whenever something buried like this becomes public, the next step is sale.

On a whole other level. This one Not November (starts the end of September) but I had to just throw it up here. Gorgeous.

Gil Elvgren (American, 1914-1980)
This Ought to Make a Good Shot (Let's Step Inside and See What's Developing), 1948
Oil on canvas
30 x 24 inches (76.2 x 61.0 cm)
Signed lower right

Gil Elvgren (American, 1914-1980) This Ought to Make a Good Shot (Let's Step Inside and See What's Developing)

Edited by grapeape

6 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I had the "what original comic art* could hit $1 million at auction right now?" conversation with a group of collector friends very recently. The conventional wisdom is that it would have to be either certain Ditko ASM covers or the Trimpe Hulk #181 cover.  

My contribution to the discussion was that the GS X-Men #1 cover, X-Men #141 and, yes, the Lee/Williams X-Men #1 gatefold cover could all challenge that mark.  I wouldn't say that any of them would be a lock to hit $1 million, but, I'd say that, outside of Ditko ASM and Hulk #181, those are the next 3 most likely contenders.  After that, who knows...WSF #29, X-Men #137... :whistle: 

* A single pen & ink piece only for an American comic book. Complete books/stories as well as paintings (e.g., Frazetta covers for Warren) and Wrightson Frankenstein excluded.

Edited by delekkerste