• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA Auction
2 2

85 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

to the psychological barrier of a one million dollar price tag

Yes and no. Once it's crossed, barrier gone, seal broken (we dudes all know what that means), and there will probably be two more than also cross in short order -within the succeeding twelve months.

AXM1 doesn't have to be the first. Again, myself -not a fan, but I'm happy to let the kids redirect all their money away to that and then maybe I can slip in the side door and finally pick up some prime Tradd Moore :)

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

* A single pen & ink piece only for an American comic book. Complete books/stories as well as paintings (e.g., Frazetta covers for Warren) and Wrightson Frankenstein excluded.

My personal high watermark = vodou g-d IMPRESSED will be when an individual panel page (not a splash) crosses $1m. That's when sequential art has arrived, to the whole world (not just "collectors" choir), imo.

1 minute ago, vodou said:

My personal high watermark = vodou g-d IMPRESSED will be when an individual panel page (not a splash) crosses $1m. That's when sequential art has arrived, to the whole world (not just "collectors" choir), imo.

Sadly, some collectors like them for the wrong reasons: they claim it's like getting as many as 6 small splash pages for the price of one.

5 years ago...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.artnet.com/market/tintin-breaks-1-million-at-sothebys-paris-349364/amp-page

yeah, technically it’s a 2 page spread , but it’s just panels,  it a splash... you get the gist.

Edited by ESeffinga

5 hours ago, vodou said:

Well, it seems to me that something along the lines of the hulk 180 panel will be the first to cross.   Not necessarily that page but something valued for collector reasons.  So what’s the difference in your mind between that panel page sell for 650k and something else doing a mil for other reasons Michael?   At the end of the day I think each page is calculated on its various merits and ultimately it’s going to be collectors not the world at large pushing it forward?   Maybe I’m missing your point.   

11 hours ago, grapeape said:

On a whole other level. This one Not November (starts the end of September) but I had to just throw it up here. Gorgeous.

Gil Elvgren (American, 1914-1980)
This Ought to Make a Good Shot (Let's Step Inside and See What's Developing), 1948
Oil on canvas
30 x 24 inches (76.2 x 61.0 cm)
Signed lower right

Gil Elvgren (American, 1914-1980) This Ought to Make a Good Shot (Let's Step Inside and See What's Developing)

Yeah, the next illustration art auction looks to have the best mix of pin-up art they've offered in quite a while (at least since the Martignette collection was sold off).  There are several very nice pieces.

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

5 years ago...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.artnet.com/market/tintin-breaks-1-million-at-sothebys-paris-349364/amp-page

yeah, technically it’s a 2 page spread , but it’s just panels,  it a splash... you get the gist.

Yes in discussions of potentially record breaking comic art in the future we must not forget the art as collected worldwide. Many different grails around the world. Where will the money go?

16 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

I never found any of the storylines memorable under the Lee or Finch X-Men runs.  I've never heard anyone talk about the storylines at all.  It was all about the art.

To hear Gene, (and others), gush all over the #268 is an eye opener.  

I am a bit late to the discussion but still would like to contribute.

First off, I think the stories of the Claremont Lee Williams run were quite good and memorable, not only for the amazing art.  Lady Mandarin  trilogy, WW II issue, Rogue and Magneto in the Savage Land, Shi'ar, Asteroid M. I liked the previous run better (the outback period) but still these stories are anything but boring.  Admittedly, things do get a bit blurred in my memory after those issues....

Second thought: in addition to 268 being a very well written, done in issue with beautiful interiors (ahhhh that splash...), I think this is the first time Lee drew Wolverine in costume on a cover (haven't checked...).  And that pose, slightly crouched with claws unsheathed, has become a total classic.  In fact, isn't the pose on XM1 basically swiped from this one?  So maybe some people might be a bit turned off by over-exposure to this rendition of Wolverine.

Finally, I find the layout particularly interesting.  No action, but having the characters looking away adds a timeless quality to the cover and - intentionally or not - nods to the plot of the issue,  as though they were looking from the '40s ahead into what the future reserves to them.

So in my mind objectively this is definitely a top 5 J Lee X-Men cover.  I personally like some other covers better (for example 258, 269 and 274), but value-wise this is right up there.  My prediction is that it will beat 250k.

33 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The less said about "The Outback Period", the better. :sick: 

So it looks like you enjoyd that run big time...

Seriously from 229 to 251 you have vs the Reavers, vs the Brood round 2, Genosha (great concept!), Inferno (personally I loved it), Master Mold two-parter, introduction of Jubilee, vs Pearce and the Reavers again with the memorable Wolverine crucifixion scene & cover.  Great art by Silvestri Green and Leonardi.  Oh well I guess you can't please all of the people all of the times.... (but we are in agreement on the P Smith run though!)

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

5 years ago...

Not American. That was part of Gene's post, I forgot to include it in my statement but it was in his, which I tagged onto.

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Well, it seems to me that something along the lines of the hulk 180 panel will be the first to cross.   Not necessarily that page but something valued for collector reasons.  So what’s the difference in your mind between that panel page sell for 650k and something else doing a mil for other reasons Michael?   At the end of the day I think each page is calculated on its various merits and ultimately it’s going to be collectors not the world at large pushing it forward?   Maybe I’m missing your point.   

To my way of thinking, a splash or a cover is generally judged as though it were”fine art”, not “sequential art”. The difference being that sequential art requires an appreciation for the way the pictures move the story along, and that will be to a smaller audience. Smaller audience, fewer bidders; fewer bidders, lower price.

18 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Sadly, some collectors like them for the wrong reasons: they claim it's like getting as many as 6 small splash pages for the price of one.

Or in the case of Watchmen, it’s like getting 9 small covers for the price of one 😁

13 hours ago, Carlo M said:

So it looks like you enjoyd that run big time...

Seriously from 229 to 251 you have vs the Reavers, vs the Brood round 2, Genosha (great concept!), Inferno (personally I loved it), Master Mold two-parter, introduction of Jubilee, vs Pearce and the Reavers again with the memorable Wolverine crucifixion scene & cover.  Great art by Silvestri Green and Leonardi.  Oh well I guess you can't please all of the people all of the times.... (but we are in agreement on the P Smith run though!)

8 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Really?

The art was fine, but, most of the stories from #214-onward... :eek: 

It's why I consider Uncanny X-Men #213 (the end of the Mutant Massacre storyline) to be the Berlin Wall that demarcates the end of my own personal Golden Age of Comics. Out of all of the storylines that Carlo noted above, only the Genosha one was a winner for me...BUT, only as realized later on in X-Tinction Agenda (UXM #270-272 plus crossovers). I liked the Lady Mandarin 2-parter (#256-257), but, most of #214 up to that point was a miss for me, storywise.  

But, I get it. The art is pretty and nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Many people are not keen on JRJR's 1st stint on UXM that followed the all-too-brief Paul Smith run, but, it is like nostalgic crack to me. :insane: