• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA Auction
2 2

85 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

Yeah, the next illustration art auction looks to have the best mix of pin-up art they've offered in quite a while (at least since the Martignette collection was sold off).  There are several very nice pieces.

It will be interesting to see if the 3 trillion dollars which just got dumped into the economy will raise prices on these.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:14 PM, BuraddoRun said:

This is one of my favorite X-Men covers, personally, definitely top 5. I still remember picking up the newsstand edition in a grocery store (maybe Safeway?) when I was a kid. This Wolvie/Cap/Widow cover we're talking about is not in my top 5, but it is definitely AWESOME, and won't surprise me if it hits or surpasses that 250K we're guessing.

I don't know how I misread previous comments when I posted this, but I did. For some reason I was thinking we were talking about Uncanny # 275. That's the one I picked up in the grocery store and is one of my top 5 Lee/Williams covers. Of course it's a gatefold, too. I got X-Men # 1 at my comic shop when it came out, and while of course that's awesome too, I prefer this one.

uncanny275.jpg

19 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I don't know how I misread previous comments when I posted this, but I did. For some reason I was thinking we were talking about Uncanny # 275. That's the one I picked up in the grocery store and is one of my top 5 Lee/Williams covers. Of course it's a gatefold, too. I got X-Men # 1 at my comic shop when it came out, and while of course that's awesome too, I prefer this one.

uncanny275.jpg

Always loved this cover and thought it one of Lee/Williams's best of their Uncanny run

However, While I love Jim Lee's art, he does the same thing over and over again.  Characters standing around in a pose with headshots in the background....It's getting old. Scott, tell Jim to knock it off and have his characters actually doing something haha 

On 9/17/2020 at 11:26 AM, Mmehdy said:

It will be interesting to see if the 3 trillion dollars which just got dumped into the economy will raise prices on these.

A big question is how much of it will actually work its way into the economy versus being held in accounts or even moved offshore.  

Edited by bluechip

So the marketplace has already had McFarlane Spidey covers exceed and match prices of John Byrne Uncanny X-Men covers.

By all pre-auction estimates, the Jim Lee X-Men 268 cover is about to do the same.

The generational shift is here.

Even with an evolving artistic style, Jim remains as popular as ever.  Being a DC executive clearly has its advantages since Jim can probably dictate what projects he wants to work on and with whichever creative team he wants.  Byrne had power and influence in his day but not like what Jim has had at DC.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:31 AM, NelsonAI said:

So the marketplace has already had McFarlane Spidey covers exceed and match prices of John Byrne Uncanny X-Men covers.

By all pre-auction estimates, the Jim Lee X-Men 268 cover is about to do the same.

The generational shift is here.

Even with an evolving artistic style, Jim remains as popular as ever.  Being a DC executive clearly has its advantages since Jim can probably dictate what projects he wants to work on and with whichever creative team he wants.  Byrne had power and influence in his day but not like what Jim has had at DC.

I will admit (don't shake your fingers at me!!! :sumo:) that I prefer the works of Lee over some of the older big artists like Kirby and Romita. Truth be told, it IS a generational thing...mostly. I grew up with Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefield (I like him, but I don't consider him "great"), and other late 80s early 90s artists. But there's crossover. John Byrne's art was still strong during that time and he's in the top part of my favorite's list. When I was a kid, I didn't like Kirby or Steranko or Romita's art. Buscema I liked, but he wasn't at the forefront of my appreciation. It wasn't until I got older and paid more attention to details and framing and appreciated history more that I came to like the pioneers of superhero comic art. I have broader tastes now, and find myself picking up older comic issues (can't afford a lot of the older artwork right now) by some of these pre-1980 artists and spending a lot more time actually looking at and appreciating the artwork. It's good stuff. It will be weird when the next generational shift occurs, and these post-2000 artists start to shoot up in popularity and price.

But the greats will always be great. It's just that new artists will continue to  join the Hall of Fame, is all.

6 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I will admit (don't shake your fingers at me!!! :sumo:) that I prefer the works of Lee over some of the older big artists like Kirby and Romita. Truth be told, it IS a generational thing...mostly. I grew up with Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefield (I like him, but I don't consider him "great"), and other late 80s early 90s artists. But there's crossover. John Byrne's art was still strong during that time and he's in the top part of my favorite's list. When I was a kid, I didn't like Kirby or Steranko or Romita's art. Buscema I liked, but he wasn't at the forefront of my appreciation. It wasn't until I got older and paid more attention to details and framing and appreciated history more that I came to like the pioneers of superhero comic art. I have broader tastes now, and find myself picking up older comic issues (can't afford a lot of the older artwork right now) by some of these pre-1980 artists and spending a lot more time actually looking at and appreciating the artwork. It's good stuff. It will be weird when the next generational shift occurs, and these post-2000 artists start to shoot up in popularity and price.

But the greats will always be great. It's just that new artists will continue to  join the Hall of Fame, is all.

It isn't just a generational thing. I was never a great fan of Marvel artists' bullpen art, including the names you mentioned, and others. 

But, I also think there is a difference in format and presentation today--lots more splashes and splashly looking artistry as compared to more detailed-oriented pages set around the classic six panel with modifications.  Byrne was always big on the splashy look (that is not a knock, his skill set is very high). Adams virtually invented it.

Whether the greats will always be great is a matter of opinion. Check the prices on rare antique furniture compared to more modern classics from the Art Deco period or Mid-century modern. Guess what isn't selling well?

14 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Whether the greats will always be great is a matter of opinion. Check the prices on rare antique furniture compared to more modern classics from the Art Deco period or Mid-century modern. Guess what isn't selling well?

Art appreciation is subjective, of  course, but I really don't ever see the pioneers losing their "greatness" in the eyes of fans and collectors. Even if the artwork itself becomes less visually appealing, they'll still be part of the defining history behind longstanding characters, and I think that will help maintain their staying power.

22 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

It isn't just a generational thing. I was never a great fan of Marvel artists' bullpen art, including the names you mentioned, and others. 

But, I also think there is a difference in format and presentation today--lots more splashes and splashly looking artistry as compared to more detailed-oriented pages set around the classic six panel with modifications.  Byrne was always big on the splashy look (that is not a knock, his skill set is very high). Adams Eisner virtually invented it.

Fixed that for ya.

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Fixed that for ya.

Not sure I agree with the fix. Eisner was the father of using panel selections and design to show time, and story progression, and he certainly did use some splashes, mostly in his introductions, but not like today. Besides, I was really focusing on modern work, and Adams was a game changer that Eisner basically invented. 

On 10/29/2020 at 6:57 AM, Rick2you2 said:

ICheck the prices on rare antique furniture compared to more modern classics from the Art Deco period or Mid-century modern. Guess what isn't selling well?

"Brown furniture" is not selling. "Brown furniture" is what the kids call it.

On 10/27/2020 at 4:28 PM, Bronty said:

I think Jim earned that influence.    I dislike his artwork but anybody that can stay on top of all his responsibilities and have 8 kids has my respect.   I attribute his success to him being great at all the stuff outside of drawing more than the drawing itself.    You never hear anyone say a bad word about the guy.    If you put out consistent work and earn the love and respect of your fans and colleagues for decades, the artwork itself becomes secondary.    The dependability and reliability and love you put out there overcomes.   And in fairness I think he's gotten better as a draftsman over the years which even non-fans like myself have to appreciate and respect because rare is the artist that improves with age.

I agree. I, too, am not a big fan of Jim's work.

That said, I've a ton of his comics and I'm more than impressed by the guy. He's friendly and hardworking. He's great with his fans, has accomplished a ton in his career, and seems to be a loving dad and husband. I fully appreciate his artistic skill (and Scott's inking), but it just doesn't ring my bell on a consistent basis.

That's not to say that I wouldn't take a page gratefully if someone gave me one, it's just that I don't have him (or most (all?) of his contemporaries at Image) on my radar.