• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The grades are in...

16 posts in this topic

Just had the results of my first submission and to be honest, it’s nothing to brag about. They gave my Hulk 181 a 0.5 which I understand the reasons behind as it’s missing the value stamp and there’s one other page that’s been cut which affects the story - doesn’t bother me, I’m a huge Wolverine fan and always wanted this comic.

The part that’s confusing me is that they gave it a universal grade...shouldn’t this automatically fall into the “qualified” section due to not being complete??

(below is the comic before grading)

CF1234FF-CE7E-4742-A741-57C8AB93F329.jpeg

Edited by Scott Dellar

9 minutes ago, Scott Dellar said:

Just had the results of my first submission and to be honest, it’s nothing to brag about. They gave my Hulk 181 a 0.5 which I understand the reasons behind as it’s missing the value stamp and there’s one other page that’s been cut which affects the story - doesn’t bother me, I’m a huge Wolverine fan and always wanted this comic.

The part that’s confusing me is that they gave it a universal grade...shouldn’t this automatically fall into the “qualified” section due to not being complete??

CF1234FF-CE7E-4742-A741-57C8AB93F329.jpeg

I'm not a hundred percent sure of the process, but these can go two ways, and at some point you had a secret opportunity to make a choice.

But it could have been evaluated where they essentially ignore the missing coupon and you get a green qualified label, OR they count the missing coupon as damage and grade it accordingly.

I'm not entirely sure how they make the determination (and you could written special instructions on your submission), but given that you're ALSO missing a part of another page (affecting story), I'm pretty sure this grade (certainly in this color) is more favorable for you.  

Someone will come along shortly with a better explanation, i'm sure.  But these are the basics.

9 hours ago, Scott Dellar said:

It make sense it got blue since Blue will still be given to a book in the condition you describe.

17 hours ago, revat said:

I'm not a hundred percent sure of the process, but these can go two ways, and at some point you had a secret opportunity to make a choice.

But it could have been evaluated where they essentially ignore the missing coupon and you get a green qualified label, OR they count the missing coupon as damage and grade it accordingly.

I'm not entirely sure how they make the determination (and you could written special instructions on your submission), but given that you're ALSO missing a part of another page (affecting story), I'm pretty sure this grade (certainly in this color) is more favorable for you.  

Someone will come along shortly with a better explanation, i'm sure.  But these are the basics.

17 hours ago, Jimmy11 said:

The qualified grade is for one big problem on an otherwise nice book. You book has multiple big problems on an otherwise decent book. Blue is correct.

8 hours ago, William-James88 said:

It make sense it got blue since Blue will still be given to a book in the condition you describe.

6 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

As has been stated, the Qualified label is only supposed to be for one major flaw. Since the book has at least two separate major flaws, it can't be Qualified. I'm sorry for the bad news, but I'm glad to hear you're still happy with the book...

In your opinions, the comic isn’t in terrible overall condition (apart from the bits that have been cut), is the low grade likely due to the cut out parts? 

Reason I ask is that this was purchased from some dirt bag on eBay that “forgot” to mention these extra cut pages and claimed it wouldn’t affect the grade. I got a partial refund for him lying to me, but wasn’t sure what damage this would have on the grading.

5 hours ago, Scott Dellar said:

Reason I ask is that this was purchased from some dirt bag on eBay that “forgot” to mention these extra cut pages and claimed it wouldn’t affect the grade. I got a partial refund for him lying to me, but wasn’t sure what damage this would have on the grading.

It's absolutely because of the missing coupon and missing page. And it's pretty much an automatic .5 when you have a book with a missing page unless you can Qualify the book. I'm sorry he wasn't clear with you about this, but that's why I only purchase raw books from people I trust (and even then, things can be overlooked...)  Ah well, I hope you got it for a good price...  hm

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

It's absolutely because of the missing coupon and missing page. And it's pretty much an automatic .5 when you have a book with a missing page unless you can Qualify the book. I'm sorry he wasn't clear with you about this, but that's why I only purchase raw books from people I trust (and even then, things can be overlooked...)  Ah well, I hope you got it for a good price...  hm

thought as much, yeah it was a pretty good price when I only thought the MVS was missing and then became a bargain once I kicked off about the other bits. Overall it was about £600

Edited by Scott Dellar

9 hours ago, Scott Dellar said:

In your opinions, the comic isn’t in terrible overall condition (apart from the bits that have been cut), is the low grade likely due to the cut out parts? 

100% any comic with cut out part is given a 0.5 grade. That is my only issue with mycomicshop which will still give a 2.0 grade to a comic with cut out coupon. 

16 hours ago, William-James88 said:

100% any comic with cut out part is given a 0.5 grade. That is my only issue with mycomicshop which will still give a 2.0 grade to a comic with cut out coupon. 

I've pondered on this before.  I think the major difference is that MCS doesn't have a qualified grade so if you take an otherwise 9.8 with MVS cut, cgc can give it a green 9.8 or you can request the universal grade. (I'm not sure that CGC has said the highest a book can get with a cut out is a .5 but I could be wrong.  MCS doesn't have the qualified option so they grade the whole book.  Traditionally, I believe the hobby allowed pieces cut in the 2.0 grade, so MCS is following the norms of the hobby.  I have gotten some really nice GA books with pieces out from MCS for my PC at amazing prices. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy11 said:

You should tell us his ID.

12 minutes ago, Mike's Rack said:

Yeah, you should out this guy.  There's no way anyone in the hobby for more than a month or two would fail to inspect a book like this before selling it on eBay.  I have missed stuff on books before but this stinks.

Hell, you guys can have a screenshot if that saves others from going through the same ordeal! I gave neutral feedback due to getting a refund, wish it was negative as he had the cheek to ask me to remove it. I replied with “remember how you said the cut pages wouldn’t affect the grade. Well CGC didn’t agree and gave it a 0.5” 

Haven’t heard from dabrakus411 since...

0A4FC859-7E5A-4D78-96D1-07C911D78ABE.thumb.jpeg.94071461ca2b0707196e66e3330270a2.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Mike's Rack said:

I've pondered on this before.  I think the major difference is that MCS doesn't have a qualified grade so if you take an otherwise 9.8 with MVS cut, cgc can give it a green 9.8 or you can request the universal grade. (I'm not sure that CGC has said the highest a book can get with a cut out is a .5 but I could be wrong.  MCS doesn't have the qualified option so they grade the whole book.  Traditionally, I believe the hobby allowed pieces cut in the 2.0 grade, so MCS is following the norms of the hobby.  I have gotten some really nice GA books with pieces out from MCS for my PC at amazing prices. 

The one's I've gotten that "look" amazing are those where everything is great except for a spine split. MCS brings the grade down bad, but I don't mind :)

As for the grading standards, coupons cut are acceptable at the 1.0 grade. It's written as such in Heritage's grading policy and Mycomicshop's where both companies state that a comic with a coupon cut is allowed at a FR grade.

Here is the quote from MCS: https://www.mycomicshop.com/help/grading

" A comic book in FR condition may have non-story elements such as coupons, ad pages, or Marvel Value Stamps cut or torn out of the book. Types of damage that place a comic in FR range include: A spine split of up to 2/3 the length of the book, a missing back cover provided the front cover is still attached, severe water damage or residue damage, mold, and paper deterioration due to oxidation."

10 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

The one's I've gotten that "look" amazing are those where everything is great except for a spine split. MCS brings the grade down bad, but I don't mind :)

As for the grading standards, coupons cut are acceptable at the 1.0 grade. It's written as such in Heritage's grading policy and Mycomicshop's where both companies state that a comic with a coupon cut is allowed at a FR grade.

Here is the quote from MCS: https://www.mycomicshop.com/help/grading

" A comic book in FR condition may have non-story elements such as coupons, ad pages, or Marvel Value Stamps cut or torn out of the book. Types of damage that place a comic in FR range include: A spine split of up to 2/3 the length of the book, a missing back cover provided the front cover is still attached, severe water damage or residue damage, mold, and paper deterioration due to oxidation."

You're right, even the old Overstreet guidelines limited books with cutouts to 1.0.  

2 minutes ago, Mike's Rack said:

You're right, even the old Overstreet guidelines limited books with cutouts to 1.0.  

Your right about something else though, how a coupon cut does not automatically bring a book down to 0.5 by CGC standards. It can, but only if it affects the story (since then it's not just a coupon cut but an Incomplete book) AND if it's in the lower grade range. Like the example below. If a comic is in a decent grade and the coupon cut does not affect the story, then the book can get the 1.0 industry standard. 

image.thumb.png.b3f3fcb909c4e2705e2ef56b139d68ed.png

image.png.52ecbc2e02e89cdc42fd8f086929c3a6.png