Artist ID Help - Additional Pics Posted
2 2

14 posts in this topic

13,671 posts

I posted this in the OA Forum but thought I might also get some help here.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me who may have done these sketches.  This is the only pic I have right now but can do more and also close-ups if necessary tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.

sketches.thumb.jpg.6f9581f6831f10698a5f4573f3271cf4.jpg

Edited by telerites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54,953 posts

where did you obtain them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
294 posts

Great wrap for that comic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,691 posts

Is it odd that they don't appear to be signed?

I've always known artists to sign their work, would be nice for a close up, but the middle one has a signature but looks more like "3of3" or byob, I'm at a loss, maybe the pics can be better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54,953 posts
5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is it odd that they don't appear to be signed?

I've always known artists to sign their work, would be nice for a close up, but the middle one has a signature but looks more like "3of3" or byob, I'm at a loss, maybe the pics can be better?

the first 2 are signed-what makes me think fan art is the patch of earth 2 are standing on-thats kind of an amateur move.   

Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 3.37.00 PM.png

Edited by kav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,900 posts

It's either fan art (after all John Byrne has been reading Marvel comics since FF #5) or someone who wanted it to look like his art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,671 posts
6 hours ago, MR SigS said:

The sig in the middle looks like Mark Sears, to me.

 

 

WOkPA9V.jpg

I think that might be it.  Do you mean Bart Sears not Mark?  Sorry I stopped buying new comics in the mid 80s so I don't know many artists past that but I do know Bart - is there a Mark Sears?

Posting more pics below.

 

Edited by telerites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,671 posts

I was able to pick up the sketches - not Byrne but I think @MR SigS may have hit it with Sears

20200915_171501.thumb.jpg.678c3cce13fa98ea7de0594cddc209a6.jpg20200915_171516.thumb.jpg.1b0e8b38e2ab9879cecaaf061937a9ee.jpg20200915_171534.thumb.jpg.37ef8931f5109abd383f2fd2767c979b.jpg20200915_171558.thumb.jpg.c583960d8fb9f667db3fad3d72aa0d46.jpg20200915_172440.thumb.jpg.4898992b2f1b65462d52e2489a64f217.jpg

20200915_171547.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,671 posts
8 hours ago, kav said:

where did you obtain them?

Won them in an auction.  There was no artist attribution.  I just thought they looked cool and the price wasn't steep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,965 posts

Message him on Twitter -- https://twitter.com/bartsears -- maybe he can verify if they're by him. They don't look like his art (he has a very distinct style), but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,671 posts
10 minutes ago, RCheli said:

Message him on Twitter -- https://twitter.com/bartsears -- maybe he can verify if they're by him. They don't look like his art (he has a very distinct style), but who knows.

I believe @MR SigS had a typo and it should have read Mark Spears (not Sears).  The thread I double-posted in the OA forum agreed it is Mark Spears.  I can't verify authenticity but I might ping Mark as I found this link of his.  Not sure if he will respond but worth a try.

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/mark-spears/shop 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,965 posts
2 hours ago, telerites said:

I believe @MR SigS had a typo and it should have read Mark Spears (not Sears).  The thread I double-posted in the OA forum agreed it is Mark Spears.  I can't verify authenticity but I might ping Mark as I found this link of his.  Not sure if he will respond but worth a try.

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/mark-spears/shop 

Now that I re-read the thread, you're right. That's totally him.

(Looking at his stuff on Facebook, the signature looks 100% and the style too: https://www.facebook.com/markaspears).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2