• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Ben Templesmith’s art?

5 posts in this topic

This is one of those artist I didn’t care for at first, thought he was trying to hard to be a Sienkiewicz clone, but lately have been drawn to his art and appreciate it much more. Any fans or collectors? 

Edited by Blastaar

Templesmith was never trying to be Bill S. He is miles short of that level of drawing craft, IMO. He did make a pretty good go at doing a more cartroony version of Ashley Wood circa 20-25 years ago, before he finally settled on his own iteration of that look. (Ashley wood grew massively in this same time, and his drawing skill set is incredible at times.) 

Ben’s work is heavily finished on the computer. Not just coloring, but tons of photoshop textures and grunge to add character and some sense of polish to his crusty line work.

I’ve found him hit and miss. His originals range from pretty cool to exceedingly sparse and baring little resemblance to the published work. I generally find his original art looks bare and super simplified in not a very appealing way (to me). Often like the work of super talented kid right out of art school. Still pretty still and stilted, but with a unique sense of style. 

There have been some pieces that I liked the look of a lot, but then the bang for the buck part of my head kicks in and I realize there is a LOT of art I like better for the money. Hence why I’ve never owned any of his work. I haven’t seen anything new from him in the last 10 years or so, other than a piece he did for an art gallery show, that the gallery refused to hang and sent back to him, because it wasn’t of a professional quality to be hung with the rest of the work in that group show.

Let that sink in....

24 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Couldn’t resist. Love the story and dig his art. Just picked up the cover for 30 Days Of Night (reboot) #2. 

0869FF2E-5424-40F8-8C75-8723F8445965.jpeg.60abf129fabf1937eee4f2f08b314cee.jpeg

You're clearly a fan. I am too...though like @ESeffinga I've never actually found that perfect marriage of piece and price to result in me owning any.

Still...good on you not letting we DebbieDowners(tm) dissuade you!