• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a green label like a green label, like a green label?

12 posts in this topic

I am very curious as to other ideas about qualified grades. I was talking with a friend and he had the view that all green labels very the same value wise. He didn’t care if the book was qualified for missing a CF or because of a married page, or anything else. They were all the same dollar value to him.  I disagreed in that to me a married CF I would not care too much about but if the book was incomplete, that was big to me. He did point out that if it was slabbed I couldn’t read it anyway, -_-  Anyway I was just wanting other’s opinions. On green labels does the specific type of defect matter to you or are the all the same?  Thanks.

9 hours ago, ender said:

I am very curious as to other ideas about qualified grades. I was talking with a friend and he had the view that all green labels very the same value wise. He didn’t care if the book was qualified for missing a CF or because of a married page, or anything else. They were all the same dollar value to him.  I disagreed in that to me a married CF I would not care too much about but if the book was incomplete, that was big to me. He did point out that if it was slabbed I couldn’t read it anyway, -_-  Anyway I was just wanting other’s opinions. On green labels does the specific type of defect matter to you or are the all the same?  Thanks.

Hi Robert 

My views and just a couple of examples:

Green labels that can be graded as a blue with a lower grade, I believe, have more marketability (value) than geens with page(s) out.  Below are a couple of my books.

Thrilling 42 is one of mine that if I would have known better, I would have asked to have the defect considered and be slabbed as a universal.  Not planning to sell but if I were, I would definitely have regraded as as a blue.

Thrilling 6 being incomplete is much less desirable to me (especially when story pages are affected).  

Tell your friend to send me some of his peyote if he really thinks all greens are perceived as equal.  I can use a little escape from reality. 

1711120934151.jpg

1611122138051.jpg

Edited by telerites

Interesting subject... I have no issue buying a Q book providing the story is not affected. But I just bought a ASM #2 .5 off the boards a few weeks ago all the other ASM's were green 4.0-5.0 From the same collection.Would it be more valuable as a Q 4.0/5.0? How does this book only get a .5 when there are .5 books that look like second pic were they tough at CGC on mine or Is it an automatic .5 when a page is missing confused don't understand how that grading works? 1st  book is mine second one is on ebay

1021267013_ASM2.50001.thumb.jpg.71ba1274e3c52d33d869c6bc6bbea3fa.jpg

s-l1600-74.jpg

Edited by goldenacase

19 hours ago, ender said:

Qualified books are definitely not all the same. I would expect a missing ad page (does not affect story) to fetch a higher price than say a missing CF that impacts story. For what it is worth, I love picking up major GA or SA books with missing ad pages that don't affect story. I see them closing at 40-50% of their equivalent blue label values. 

I have never had a problem with green labels and in fact welcome them. You just have to understand them and of course pay accordingly. 

Many years ago, I bought a very large collection of GA in AZ. Great books. 1948-1954. Lots of ECs, late run DCs like Flash, Green Lantern, All Star and All Flash as well as a bunch of late Atlas superhero titles and others. They would grade today in 7.0-9.2 white pages, except for one thing, they were 3 hole punched. Several people told me they would grade good-vg and turned up their nose at them. 

Technicaly, maybe true depending on how you feel about it. This was back in the old The Buyer’s Guide days with no photos. I graded them on how they looked and felt and noted the punch holes. I sold them all very quickly pricing them at around vg. Some, a little more, some a little less. But they went quick to very happy buyers. 

I always felt that CGC needed a label for books like this. Thus the green label. 

The Spiderman pictured above is a perfect example. In a slab, I would much prefer the green one. 

At the end of the day, I always buy the book, not the number on the slab. 

I still have a fair amount of the AZ buy in my collection. Beautiful, scarce books with a defect I can live with at the right price. 

To each, his own...

Edited by Robot Man

21 hours ago, Yorick said:

I think the Green label didn't help this book at all....

DS27 Q05.JPG

It is labels like this that confuse me.  If I am buying a book that got a .5 grade, I would not expect it to be complete.  This one's front cover actually looks pretty nice.  Why does it get the .5 and a green label too?  I could see a universal label .5 with the notes but not a green label?

2 hours ago, ender said:

It is labels like this that confuse me.  If I am buying a book that got a .5 grade, I would not expect it to be complete.  This one's front cover actually looks pretty nice.  Why does it get the .5 and a green label too?  I could see a universal label .5 with the notes but not a green label?

I agree a 0.5 Qualified label is not very informative. I interpret green labels as "it would be the grade displayed on the top left except this one major defect." Just speculating here, maybe this book is missing so many pages it would otherwise get a No Grade (NG)? So the Qualified Label here is actually bumping it up from NG?

2 hours ago, ender said:

26 minutes ago, 10centcomics said:

I agree a 0.5 Qualified label is not very informative. I interpret green labels as "it would be the grade displayed on the top left except this one major defect." Just speculating here, maybe this book is missing so many pages it would otherwise get a No Grade (NG)? So the Qualified Label here is actually bumping it up from NG?

I submitted this one myself, and the label notes indicate the problem(s).  I believe this is a CGC mistake.  They meant for it to be a blue 0.5, but put the wrong paper in the printer.  Otherwise the grade should be reflective of what the book would grade without those specified defects (in this case, perhaps a 3.0 - 4.0).

I'm not entirely sure where they draw the line with No Grade, but I imagine more than one or two pages would need to be missing.  Coverless books get No Grade.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:34 AM, goldenacase said:

Interesting subject... I have no issue buying a Q book providing the story is not affected. But I just bought a ASM #2 .5 off the boards a few weeks ago all the other ASM's were green 4.0-5.0 From the same collection.Would it be more valuable as a Q 4.0/5.0? How does this book only get a .5 when there are .5 books that look like second pic were they tough at CGC on mine or Is it an automatic .5 when a page is missing confused don't understand how that grading works? 1st  book is mine second one is on ebay

1021267013_ASM2.50001.thumb.jpg.71ba1274e3c52d33d869c6bc6bbea3fa.jpg

s-l1600-74.jpg

If there's a page missing and it can't be Qualified, you're usually going to get a .5. I'm not sure why your book didn't receive a Qualified label, because it appears it should have...

4 hours ago, Yorick said:

I submitted this one myself, and the label notes indicate the problem(s).  I believe this is a CGC mistake.  They meant for it to be a blue 0.5, but put the wrong paper in the printer.  Otherwise the grade should be reflective of what the book would grade without those specified defects (in this case, perhaps a 3.0 - 4.0).

I'm not entirely sure where they draw the line with No Grade, but I imagine more than one or two pages would need to be missing.  Coverless books get No Grade.

Thanks for clarifying! Printing it on the wrong color label seems like a more plausible explanation for this!