• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hmm...Is This Trimmed? Crime Suspenstories 20
1 1

27 posts in this topic

What's up all! Since I'm unsure whether or not this book was trimmed, my buddy @Buzzetta advised me check with all of yous. 

Part of the cover is simply not there. As you can see in the images, the 'S' and 10c are cut off. And when compared to another CSS book, the top matches up, but the bottom does not. However, none of the interior panels are cut. I took photos of a few of the pages, as well as corners and general measurements.

Have a look, my friends, and let me know what you think.

CSS20_01.JPG

CSS20_02.JPG

CSS20_03.JPG

CSS20_04.JPG

CSS20_05.JPG

CSS20_06.JPG

CSS20_07.JPG

CSS20_08.JPG

CSS20_09.JPG

CSS20_10.JPG

CSS20_11.JPG

CSS20_12.JPG

CSS20_13.JPG

CSS20_14.JPG

CSS20_15.JPG

7 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

LazyBoy nailed it. His entire analysis is correct, IMO. No trim on any edge. The initial rough cut, mis-wrap hence mis-cut is giving that false impression of something later cut off on the edges. 

That's what I thought after you guys set me straight with my Crime Suspenstories 15 that I thought was trimmed from a few months ago.  Pete had texted me that he was finally selling a few things and that he had listed it on eBay as 'trimmed'.  I wrote to him that it might be a miss-wrap and a miss-cut but he should ask you guys because you all would know more than I do.  Glad this worked out.

8 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I've seen a few copies of this book that have been badly miscut.  A buddy has a copy like this that I wrongfully maligned for years.  Although it's possible that this book was commonly trimmed, I find it far more likely they were just miscut at production.

My copy resembles that remark :)

BTW I tell @PeteFromPetesBasement all the time that there is better information to be found here than the dirt sheets on Facebook and Instagram. 

I want to thank all of you for demonstrating that. 

@Lazyboy

@Randall Dowling

@James J Johnson

@The Lions Den

Now, maybe he will show off a few things he has picked up over the years...

:baiting:

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Sounds like it could be the topic for a new thread...   hm

I don't think I have any pictures of it any more, but back in the late 90s or so, I briefly owned a Haunt of Fear #16 (#2) (the 1950 book with the vampire cover, not the 1952 book with the head transplant cover). It was so badly miscut that it wasn't even really rectangular. It was probably a good half-inch narrower at the bottom than at the top, and was miswrapped, off-kilter, to match. I got somewhat more than FMV at the time for it from a guy who apparently really enjoyed the terrible, terrible QA on some of the EC books.