• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hmm...Is This Trimmed? Crime Suspenstories 20
1 1

27 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

BTW I tell @PeteFromPetesBasement all the time that there is better information to be found here than the dirt sheets on Facebook and Instagram. 

I want to thank all of you for demonstrating that. 

@Lazyboy

@Randall Dowling

@James J Johnson

@The Lions Den

Now, maybe he will show off a few things he has picked up over the years...

:baiting:

Thank you all for your insight. It's really appreciated. 

@Buzzetta the stick-poking emoji is hilarious. Yesss, I will stop skulking and participate more. :cool: 

22 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Sounds like it could be the topic for a new thread...   hm

It would be really helpful to all to have a topic, as you suggested, on mis-cuts and mis-wraps as they pertain to and how they affect CGC grader's judgement of grade! 

For instance, say you were to have an AS 129 before you that is an absolute gem from the standpoint of the absence of wear. But it's wrapped or miscut to some degree, from mild to wild. How does this affect your opinion of grade as a CGC grader? And how are those decisions made based on the DEGREE of miscut or miswrap. At what point does the book still qualify for the 9.8 you want to give it based on all other factors? At what point is it no better than 9.4? Or 9.0? Or 8.0, etc., etc.? Does the degree of asymmetry, that is, the book not being cut plumb, a trapezoid instead of a rectangle, affect the overall grade. 

Do the miscuts and miswraps affect books from different eras differently? This would make an interesting, ongoing topic, especially with images of arious examples included. 

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, Jimmy11 said:

Under 9.8? hm There are some nicely miswrapped ASM #129 9.8s on Ebay right now. I'm talking about miswraps, I never mentioned miscuts.

"The wrap usually has no affect on the grade unless it is very extreme or we are talking about otherwise 9.9/10.0 territory. The example you showed would be able to get a 9.8 with that 'mild' miswrap."

I apologize for any confusion. I was referring to miscuts, not miswraps. And I agree that mild miswraps aren't a big deal...

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I apologize for any confusion. I was referring to miscuts, not miswraps. And I agree that mild miswraps aren't a big deal...

What I was referring to was a fairly substantial angled miswrap. Also, if a book is cut substantially enough out of plumb to be immediately noticeable, say for example, 7 inches wide across the top, yet only 6 and 1/2 inches wide across the bottom. A noticeably irregular shape. 

There is a thread on production related issues.  Miscuts and miswraps would be included there.  I just shared this modern over there (front half of book cut shorter than back half by approx 1/8" towards the bottom):

Sandman 19 miscut.jpg