• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Needs Suggestions for Guardians of the Galaxy Sketch/ Remark
2 2

11 posts in this topic

So I picked up a copy of Guardians of the Galaxy 1, the 1:200 space variant (see pic) on sale with the intent of having a remark/ sketch done on the front cover by Mark Brooks. Trouble is, I'm not entirely sure what to request and I'd like your help deciding what to get! My favorite characters from GotG are Groot and Rocket, but I think Nebula's colors work really well with the purple background. I'd like to do something that tells a story, if that makes sense, something more nuanced than just "here's a random sketch of x character". Help a fellow yellow fever sufferer out and let me know what you think would look best! 

Scan-128.jpg

I don’t want to burst your bubble or anything, but you’re getting a remark which is typically just a SMALL quick (think 5-10minute) headshot. I’m not a Brooks collector so maybe he’s different, but I looked at his remarks on eBay and all appear to be small headshots. Even sketches don’t typically have enough for a “story” unless “spidey shoots a web” is a story. 

Don’t let this stop you from asking though, just don’t get disappointed If he doesn’t do what you ask. Best thing for a story is to ask for a word balloon of some sort.

Edited by thesink

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I've gotten a few remarks before from a couple different artists, and they seem to vary in size/ scope. All in the $200 range. I wasn't expecting a full cover or anything, just something different. The "spidey shoots a web" qualifies as a story for my purposes. I've found that if I give the artist some semblance of a story I've gotten a better result, as opposed to asking them to just "draw groot". Something like "groot as an astronaut" or "rocket riding a rocket" was what I was thinking lol. I hadn't thought about the word balloon though, that might be kinda cool. Just don't want a generic headshot of Starlord in one corner or anything.

I have gotten a quick sketch/remark from Mark Brooks before at a con - he does a side head shot (penciled at first and then finished in black marker).  He did several of them at the con.  And it was a nice side head shot mind you.  My guess is that is probably what you will get with his remarks at the CGC in-house private signing.  If that's worth it for your rare sketch cover then go for it.  

That's been a bit of a concern of mine, actually. I've seen some really nice remarks he's done, but he tends to do black marker alot, and with the dark purple background I'm a bit concerned it won't show up very well. I'm a fan of his work on GotG and he's got an upcoming in house signing with CGC so it seemed like a good opportunity, but I might end up waiting and finding someone else who typically uses paint pens or something similar. Appreciate the responses guys!

13 hours ago, Complex306 said:

That's been a bit of a concern of mine, actually. I've seen some really nice remarks he's done, but he tends to do black marker alot, and with the dark purple background I'm a bit concerned it won't show up very well. I'm a fan of his work on GotG and he's got an upcoming in house signing with CGC so it seemed like a good opportunity, but I might end up waiting and finding someone else who typically uses paint pens or something similar. Appreciate the responses guys!

That dark cover does make it harder to come up with a good sketch idea.  This might be an unpopular suggestion but you could utilize the space motif and get a sketch of the Milano - full spread front and back cover.  

Rubberband Man | Disney Wiki | Fandom

47 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Brooks can be very creative and even his small headshots are awesome

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=36509&GSub=1911

Yeah that's why I originally thought he would be a good fit, he does some awesome pieces sometimes. It just seems really hit or miss. You either end up with something like you linked or something like this...

Screenshot_20200917-113920_eBay.jpg

Edited by Complex306