• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are original artists cool with this kind of "modification"?

3 posts in this topic

Saw this posted on facebook.

Its noted on the corner as Artist X "over Todd'

FB_IMG_1600232262959.jpg.b77d765db36e5246d3c5811565d7cda9.jpg

Is this kind of " repurposing" of another artists work cool with the original artists?

I mean its not an homage, its literally just markers/paint over existing art.

This seems pretty sketchy...

Plus thr obscuring of the "True believers" markings and the marvel markings again seem like an effort to obfuscate.

Plus hes subbing it himself to CGC for sketch label and then selling it.

Edited by miraclemet

You would have to ask the original artist to get an accurate answer. 

This particular image/pose has been "repurposed" several times by well known artists so I doubt the original artist (Todd) would be upset with its use in this way.  To me, this is no different than SOME (not all) remarques that are widely seen in the hobby today.  Todd is even credited by the artist in question.

As far as obscuring the logo, I "obfuscate" most logos in all my commissions (please reference the sketch cover mega thread).  I personally do not like the True Believers logo and would cover it any chance I got....I did so on an X-23 book signed by Dafne Keen.  

I have worked with the artist in question and know that there is no ill intent by this or any of his work......in my opinion.             

Depends if the art-over is in good taste, usually if it doesn't deviate with the original art's intent. Adding webbings would be ok, but on the extreme adding a schlong to Spidey wouldn't be. Technically you can do whatever with your book you own. But a true test of its "cool"-ness with the artist is if you submit it back and see if he is willing to sign it or not.

Different but related topic, I start to see a lot of Bagley remarks now back from his signing and I have to say some look very dirty, unfortunately.