• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are my comic boards too narrow?

12 posts in this topic

Hey there ^_^

I bought some Silver Age boards and bags from Silver Acre Comics, for my Modern Comics, and they fit rather well; but I ordered some more and I notice they seemed rather different - specifically, the second boards are a tad bit shorter than the original ones:

The first boards being 22cm in width (which were perfect) however, the second boards I purchased are a tad too narrow at the sides compared to the last boards - with the second boards being 21.5cm in width - which is causing the comics to move from side-to-side more than the first. The first board was used in Deathwish #1 and the second board was used in Blood Syndicate #16, but my question is whether this will cause damage or other issues to my comic? Should I sent the second boards back? Is it an issue with the bags instead?

2144896376_Scan_20200916(2).thumb.png.9563148bb9b8f1f8c540732f78379420.pngScan_20200916.thumb.png.8771a2ab6f4a33089662989728a40827.png

Edited by Bart Allen

The board on the right is way too narrow for that bag. It looks OK for the comic if you were using a modern bag, but not for a Silver bag.

You mentioned the board was too "short" (maybe you meant "narrow"), but the board should be tall enough that it goes right up the back edge of the bag so that when you fold the front flap over to tape it down you don't have to bend the back of the bag down.

Edited by drbanner

I used to be a one size fits all approach but now I'm going to match the size of the comic with the appropriate bag and board.  I want the comics to be tight inside the bag to prevent shifting.  I like the way  WorldWide comics bags and boards their comics. 
Some board members here bag and board the way I like them as well.

23 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I used to be a one size fits all approach but now I'm going to match the size of the comic with the appropriate bag and board.  I want the comics to be tight inside the bag to prevent shifting.  I like the way  WorldWide comics bags and boards their comics. 
Some board members here bag and board the way I like them as well.

I don't care for wwcomics super-tight bagging. Getting comics out is difficult. I have started just tearing the bag, which is easy as they're thin, and then rebagging in my Gerber sleeves and boards.

For a time I enjoyed the look of a "tight fit", but found that over time, the books would sometimes warp depending on the shape of the board, etc. Eventually I settled on silver age full backs and bags. The boards are stiff enough that the books really shouldn't be moving around very much, and it protects the books by leaving a margin around them in case there's an impact pulling the book in or out of a box, or whatever. For the nice stuff I like a SA mylar and bag inside of a golden age top loader. I got a few of those acrylic backboards as well. mylar/acrylic board/ga top loader is sturdy and clear like a slab, without the cost/annoyance of slabbing! However, I've not read enough about the chemical properties of the clear boards, so they aren't really for long term storage.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:04 PM, kav said:

I dont like a tight fit I use GA bags for everything.  Havent had any issues.

hm

That seems like too much wiggle room.  I’d be afraid of dinging the corners if/when the book shifts in the bag.

FLJg1gSl.jpg?1

13 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I got a few of those acrylic backboards as well. mylar/acrylic board/ga top loader is sturdy and clear like a slab, without the cost/annoyance of slabbing! However, I've not read enough about the chemical properties of the clear boards, so they aren't really for long term storage.

Do the acrylic backboards add much weight?

I have found massive production variation in the sizes of bags and boards. Some fit great, but the next time I order, not so great. It can be frustrating. 

I have started going to mylites2 and fullbacks. They are sooooooo much better. Books always seem to fit great and never slide around. Yes, the price is a little steep, but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. 

19 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I don't care for wwcomics super-tight bagging. Getting comics out is difficult. I have started just tearing the bag, which is easy as they're thin, and then rebagging in my Gerber sleeves and boards.

Good point.  Yes it is a bit difficult to pull out the book.   I may to go with something that is not quite that tight. I don't want to damage the book pulling it out when needed if the bag and board are too tight.  

5 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

hm

That seems like too much wiggle room.  I’d be afraid of dinging the corners if/when the book shifts in the bag.

FLJg1gSl.jpg?1

Do the acrylic backboards add much weight?

Considerably more than a regular board, yes. I've only got a handful of books using the acrylic backers, just the special stuff that I like to pull out and gaze at from time to time.

9 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

it is a lot but I just like it that way.