• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are YOU a consumer/client of CGC or just a recipient of a gift
2 2

68 posts in this topic

Sorry I can't bump up one of the old threads on this topic.  The search function just sucks so bad now.  Do you believe that you should be treated like a customer when you access these boards?  Are the boards an ad for CGC?  Do they serve as a place for CGC to sell ad space?  Do you think CGC makes money off of you being here and participating?  And should you expect any minimum level of service as a result, much as you would at a store of any kind?  

Do you believe that you should be treated like a customer when you access these boards? No.
Are the boards an ad for CGC? Yes.
Do they serve as a place for CGC to sell ad space? Yes.
Do you think CGC makes money off of you being here and participating? Yes.
And should you expect any minimum level of service as a result, much as you would at a store of any kind? Yes.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Do you believe that you should be treated like a customer when you access these boards? No.
And should you expect any minimum level of service as a result, much as you would at a store of any kind? Yes.

Agreed

53 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you’re not a customer, why would you expect any minimum level of service?

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

My feeling is, this is a free place to talk about and sell comics.  There is more information here than anywhere else.  If people aren't happy with things here, why keep coming back?  Why not go to the other comic book forums instead?

^^

22 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

My feeling is, this is a free place to talk about and sell comics.  There is more information here than anywhere else.  If people aren't happy with things here, why keep coming back?  Why not go to the other comic book forums instead?

Because they suck? :baiting:

34 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you’re not a customer, why would you expect any minimum level of service?

Maybe it's the way it's worded, and newspapers got into a whole heap of trouble over this when a reporter wanted to cover an important community story that would make one of their advertisers look bad. If you are an advertiser, your conduct shouldn't put yourself at odds with a simple communal function of keeping checks on missteps and bad practices. More specifically, there has been a history on these boards of a certain advertiser having content pulled because it made them look bad. The moment you do this as a site host is the moment you abandon your impartiality, to say nothing of the fact that as it stands, the site hosts principle business is supposedly contingent on impartiality, so it strains the community/consumer and/or board members perception and validity of such claims when the site host complies and removes such content (likely at the request of the paid advertiser).

28 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
30 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

^^

Love it or leave it, eh?  So no criticism of CGC or its products or practices should be tolerated, right?  Newton rings?  Shut up.  Ewert trimming slipping by? Shut up?  Sig series shady practices?  Shut up.  

image.jpeg.b6995a67815e794be0553495298e3627.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Love it or leave it, eh?  So no criticism of CGC or its products or practices should be tolerated, right?  Newton rings?  Shut up.  Ewert trimming slipping by? Shut up?  Sig series shady practices?  Shut up.  

We criticize CGC everyday.(shrug)

You know I’m the last one to drink the friggin’ koolaid 

21 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

We criticize CGC everyday.(shrug)

You know I’m the last one to drink the friggin’ koolaid 

I know.  Seriously, I do.  But Mike explicitly said if you don't like it why not go somewhere else.  Hyperbole perhaps. 

Do you believe that you should be treated like a customer when you access these boards? No, I am not buying anything from CGC by using these boards, therefore I am not CGC customer by my mere use of these boards. 
Are the boards an ad for CGC? Yes.
Do they serve as a place for CGC to sell ad space? Yes.
Do you think CGC makes money off of you being here and participating? Yes, but I also think there is an operating cost associated with maintaining the boards, and it revenue vs operating costs are at best a wash, and more than likely underwater and considered a "cost of doing business".  
And should you expect any minimum level of service as a result, much as you would at a store of any kind? No. And this is not a store, so the question makes an incorrect assumption.

Edited by miraclemet

8 minutes ago, Transplant said:

I know.  Seriously, I do.  But Mike explicitly said if you don't like it why not go somewhere else.  Hyperbole perhaps. 

Perhaps 

The beauty of these boards is that if you don’t like it, you can start a thread about it. 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

44 minutes ago, Transplant said:

What are the specific changes you would like to see?

50 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Maybe it's the way it's worded, and newspapers got into a whole heap of trouble over this when a reporter wanted to cover an important community story that would make one of their advertisers look bad. If you are an advertiser, your conduct shouldn't put yourself at odds with a simple communal function of keeping checks on missteps and bad practices. More specifically, there has been a history on these boards of a certain advertiser having content pulled because it made them look bad. The moment you do this as a site host is the moment you abandon your impartiality, to say nothing of the fact that as it stands, the site hosts principle business is supposedly contingent on impartiality, so it strains the community/consumer and/or board members perception and validity of such claims when the site host complies and removes such content (likely at the request of the paid advertiser).

I gave up on CGC’s impartiality many moons ago...