• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are YOU a consumer/client of CGC or just a recipient of a gift
2 2

68 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

As for this site, which I greatly appreciate being able to take part in,  I don't feel CGC owes me anything for providing this platform, and I don't feel like I owe them anything for participating.

For me this site is only as good as those who participate. There's a TON of institutional knowledge here that I respect, appreciate, and generally can count on if the need arrises. I've bought and sold books here, but for me that's secondary to the collective experience of the boardies. Also, you can talk about the dirt/insider baseball of the industry that puts my non-collecting friends to sleep. zzz

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

That may be true for some, but speaking for my company Facebook Live sales have been a huge boon for our bottom line since the onset of Covid induced retail closures. What started as an experiment has become a weekly production generating $5,000 to $10,000 per and plenty of excitement with very little in the way of dissatisfaction on either side. If you doubt me please check it out - Wednesday night from 7-9pm CST.

As for this site, which I greatly appreciate being able to take part in,  I don't feel CGC owes me anything for providing this platform, and I don't feel like I owe them anything for participating.

Yes, I sat in on one of them once while doing some work just to watch and it was a feeding frenzy. 

There are a lot of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in the FB groups, it's true. But there are also plenty of legit sales run by folks like the esteemed @MrBedrock

Personally, I've done a lot of buying and selling on FB Marketplace, and a little bit in the groups. Marketplace is hit or miss, but has seemingly replaced Craigslist for local sales. It's the same group of folks, lots of tire kickers and junk, but I've found some really good deals and also sold many books, zero fees, cash money. 

14 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

That may be true for some, but speaking for my company Facebook Live sales have been a huge boon for our bottom line since the onset of Covid induced retail closures. What started as an experiment has become a weekly production generating $5,000 to $10,000 per and plenty of excitement with very little in the way of dissatisfaction on either side. If you doubt me please check it out - Wednesday night from 7-9pm CST.

Mods notified for spamming.  :baiting:

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Yes, I sat in on one of them once while doing some work just to watch and it was a feeding frenzy. 

I honestly cant understand the prices things go for in various facebook live threads. 

Before I quit Funkos I'd see live auctions of relatively small groups have things get bid up well over market, even when there were similar ones on eBay for lower BINs. 

Seemed... suspect to me. I assumed there were shiller friends in the thread boosting prices and creating "hotness" With no papertrail of live bidding I had now way of vetting bidders and no way to see if transactions ever ACTUALLY occurred. 

thus I've never bid/bought in this format. 

Edited by miraclemet

This is one of the best communities on the internet. This is mostly due to the members, not CGC.

I doubt CGC makes much direct revenue by running these boards, but I also don't think it costs them much to maintain. There are surely indirect benefits to keeping them running as a marketing tool, for customer support, for SEO, and as a component of their overall platform  a bullet in some managers' Power Points. I imagine CGC would keep the boards running even if the community was less active and knowledgable. 

Edited by adampasz

45 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

I honestly cant understand the prices things go for in various facebook live threads. 

Before I quit Funkos I'd see live auctions of relatively small groups have things get bid up well over market, even when there were similar ones on eBay for lower BINs. 

Seemed... suspect to me. I assumed there were shiller friends in the thread boosting prices and creating "hotness" With no papertrail of live bidding I had now way of vetting bidders and no way to see if transactions ever ACTUALLY occurred. 

i also find this suspicious about the live auctions. honestly, CL and heritage really have no transparency either. i just watched a book on CL go hundreds above fmv while an identical copy was to be had on feebay. 

on feebay, we used to be able to view the profiles of bidders, but no longer. everything is hidden there now too, other than feedback scores and comments. honestly this site here is more transparent on sales than any other venue i am aware of. but it's not auction based. 

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

We don't do auctions. Everything is set price. And most of our viewers have dealt with us previously and vice versa so things are pretty transparent - especially since all claims are done publicly via the comment section.