• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My James Jean Prelim Piece and How to Sell It
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Looking for some advice here; years ago at a comic show in Vancouver, I purchased a prelim from James Jean, specifically for a painting he did for a movie project that never ended up happening. At the time he asked if I could not put the piece online as it he did not wish to potentially violate an NDA he signed. Now years later I'm looking at selling the piece, and having gotten the go ahead from James (via his studio manager who I contacted through his website) to post it, I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell it. Part of the issue is I have no idea what a piece like it would fetch, and there's very little market info I can find to go on. I suppose eBay and HA would be options that would likely fetch fair market value, but also I'm wondering if asking to sell/trade with a dealer is likely to net better results - the only reason I'm looking to sell is to invest in more art. 

Any thoughts from the kind folks here? 

Epson_08032020143645 (1).jpg

Edited by rlextherobot

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

interestingly, here is issue 3 of The Escapist (Based on Chabon's Kavalier & Clay)

1108901.jpg

Yeah! I suspect both James Jean and Mike Mignola were basing things on the description of a painting from the novel, which itself was a reference to Kirby's classic Captain America #1 cover. 

Honestly prelim aside I personally would keep this piece of art in my collection. I understand the desire to get more art. Sometimes you have something special but the desire for something new dulls that realization.

But this is about you. Avoid dealers for stated reasons and give it to HA. You’ll find your price. Use any Correspondence from James Jean to help describe your auction.

Just now, malvin said:

Isn't HA's minimum consignment 5k? I've heard others mention 10k

Malvin 

It certainly isn't $10K (I just gave them some stuff and a minimum never came up). I am not sure if they would take one piece, but all you have to do is ask. Maybe someone could ask at the comic art con om a few days about 1 piece?

14 hours ago, malvin said:

Malvin 

I doubt this piece would make it into a Heritage Signature Auction at this point (the bar is set too high).  It would almost surely go into one of the weeklies.  Maybe that could change post-miniseries, but, frankly, I doubt it.  

I would think that eBay or ComicLink or private sale on CAF might all be better options at this point.  I don't know if Felix (of FelixComicArt.com) takes consignments for artists that he reps, but, maybe that's a discussion worth having. 

Update:

I ultimately decided to hold onto the piece for a few reasons, firstly that I realized it had some sentimental value, and secondly the lack of anything comparable being sold in recent memory made pricing it too difficult. That said, when HA put up two Jean prelims recent I tracked the auctions because I was curious what they would fetch. The Runaways cover prelim went for $4800, and the X-Men trading card prelim went for $12,600. The Escapist piece is obviously less desirable than either of those (there's no published piece of work to compare it too, the character is not super well known), but still interesting I thought. 

4 hours ago, rlextherobot said:

I thought a lot about what you said and you were right: sometimes you have something special, and you don't even realize it. 

It’s a gorgeous piece of art.(thumbsu

On 9/16/2020 at 5:19 PM, malvin said:

Malvin 

I think the HA consignment minimum is for their "Signature Auctions" floor sessions, and it's a single piece appraisal.  I'm not sure if they have a minimum submission per client, as it seems there's a shortage of quality consignments, so in competing with ComicLink, they probably waive any minimums on items that they know will sell for decent money so they can collect their approx 25% on the buyers/sellers premiums to make it worth their while.  This piece I think they'd probably relegate to recommending listed on their weekly internet auctions held every Monday.  It might be justified into their Signature Auction, internet session, but I doubt if they'd put it into their live auction sessions where pieces should be, at minimum in the $3-5k range in value.

On 9/17/2020 at 1:07 AM, Bird said:

interestingly, here is issue 3 of The Escapist (Based on Chabon's Kavalier & Clay)

1108901.jpg

Guys being knocked out are pretty common place in comic-books . . . you seen one good punch, you seen 'em all,  So what else is new? 

One Minute Later guy could clean up on these things!  :jokealert:

One Minute Later:

businessman-lying-ground-asian-full-length-portrait-isolated-white-background-43256904.jpg