• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Commission how long is too long and what to do
1 1

62 posts in this topic

I know this theme has been posted before but I didn’t see anything recent so wanted to post something new and get some advice.

I’ve only commissioned a few art pieces in my life from lesser known artists and have been happy and received the work without a super long wait.

Last November I commissioned a very well known established artist for the first time. It was for a character I created and he said for a piece like that he would need the money up front and the time frame would be 7-9 weeks. He’s one of my all time favorite artists and well established so I trusted and went for it because I knew he would hit it out of the park and I’d appreciate the piece for years. 

Now it is 10 months and I’m still waiting. We traded emails back in February and he apologized and explained that he is slow on commissions, especially on original characters as he wants to get it just right, and it wouldn’t be much longer. He was very nice and we had a good exchange. I also bought a piece he had posted on CAF and that eventually did get sent to me along with some signed posters (which were just added as a bonus).

However I emailed him again a month ago just to check the status of the commission and no reply.

Reading threads about commissioning artists it seems clear now I should not have paid up front, but based on his status in the industry I figured there was absolutely nothing to worry about. And I don’t mind the wait, I am a bit concerned though that he wasn’t honest about the wait time when I first arranged the commission.

I’d love to hear people’s comments on similar situations, and how to move forward. It was not a small amount of money (which I think makes me more anxious - I don’t want to feel someone has stolen from me, especially someone I’ve looked up to for years) - but honestly it’s the piece I really want, and maybe some communication. 

Thanks for anyone’s comments and stories...

Don’t lose hope just yet. The more likely scenario is you didn’t read the real cues.

1) The artist told you

a) he’s slow on commissions (especially a fan created character.

b) The artist wants to get it right....he’s a perfectionist and he also gave himself some cover...I want to get it right = give himself/herself more time.

7-9 weeks....you were hoping 7, maybe 8 but not more then 9. The artist I’m sure believes 7-9 weeks means at least 3 months. 

It would be nice to know the artists name because many of us can tell you the deadbeats. However you called him out “he wasn’t honest” so maybe better you don’t name the artist publicly (up to you)

My advice is give him 3 more weeks. Then send a polite email asking for an update.

On the chance you don’t get satisfaction after that I think you definitely should name the artist. 

Keep us up to date and good luck.

Thanks for the feedback - I hope you're right, it does make sense and I absolutely want to take what he says to heart and read the writing on the wall and be patient. And I'd be fine with three months, even a year or longer, if he had said that from the get go. The fact he said 7-9 weeks and now it's 10 months is what has me worried honestly. Not sure about naming the artist just yet as I'm a really big fan of his and don't want to be on his sh*t list. But if I hit the one-year mark since paying and nothing than I suppose I should put it out there. Especially if I don't get a response from him after multiple e-mails. 

I e-mailed him again today, I feel like a nice one, just letting him know I was getting concerned and would love a reply. I don't think after what I paid it is too much to ask.

In the mean time I'd love to hear more stories from people on their commission experiences from established artists, positive and negative.

Have only commissioned twice -- Jae Lee and Mark Bagley, two very nostalgic names for me.  Both were fantastic.  Mark was lightning fast...  blazing speed at high quality.  Jae even gave advice for an artist friend of mine in our correspondence after I attached a sample.

Re-thinking my advice, hoom.  I know 7-8 months past due date would drive me a bit loony, though this is unfortunately more common than you'd think in the commission space.   It's okay to be persistent and let him know that you'll email him periodic reminders at this point.  If he continues not to respond -- basic courtesy after a large sum of $$ has exchanged hands -- then it may require escalation.

Edited by exitmusicblue

Without you naming the artist, it’s hard to say what you should do. As grape said, there are definitely some well known deadbeats. 

I don’t stress about commissions. I’ve rarely had an artist meet a date that they quoted, so I stopped asking. I’ll get it when I get it. I usually send an email checking in every month or so. Sometimes I get a response, sometimes I don’t. I never try to seem impatient or antagonist. Not because I don’t want to be blacklisted, but more because I don’t want them sending me something sub par just to get me off their backs. I’ve had artists turn around in a month, some closer to a year. I’ve heard stories about way longer. Commissions overall to me are an exercise in patience, but you do you. If you get the feeling that you’re getting screwed, put them on blast. Otherwise, just keep checking in now and then. 2c

I have had bad experiences and twice I decided it was worth emailing Bleeding Cool about. The first time it worked to get the artist going and he got me my two commissions shortly thereafter. So you could try that. It is an implicit threat of exposure I guess. 

Good luck.

About 15 years ago, I chatted with Rich Buckler at a local Con and had him sign several old fanzines that he had originally published. He was so enthralled by one of them (he had not seen a copy of Intrigue #1 in over 30 years) that he offered to trade me original art for the fanzine. He said he could do a much better job if he took it home. After around 6 months, I thought maybe he had forgotten about his promise. Low and behold, a beautiful "Hulk Vs. Thing" illustration arrived at my house about 2 months later.

This does not end the story. At the 2015 NYCC, I went to Rich's table in Artist Alley and commissioned a full body illustration of Deathlok, giving him $100 upfront. Again, he said he would do a much better job at home so he could pay attention to details. I even joked with him about our last transaction ("You're not going to take 8 months like the last time, right?!"). You would think I would have learned my lesson by now. So after a 9 month wait, I finally emailed him ... no reply. Three weeks later, I received the fully rendered art and was very happy with the drawing.

The lesson is: the squeaky wheel gets greased! So my advice would be to periodically contact the artist via email, facebook or wherever else you might be able to communicate with him. He will get the message.

Edited by fugtussey
grammar

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I have had bad experiences and twice I decided it was worth emailing Bleeding Cool about. The first time it worked to get the artist going and he got me my two commissions shortly thereafter. So you could try that. It is an implicit threat of exposure I guess. 

Good luck.

Were you able to enjoy the piece after that?

If an artist has a rep there’s a very good chance (usually) that you’ll receive the art in a fairly quick turnaround time. If they don’t it could definitely be a gamble. I’ve waited for a year or so on pieces from 2 different artists, both of which I lightly followed up with 3 or 4 times over those 12 months and they were always professional and happy to touch base. I’ve found artist without reps can often suffer from not being good with time management. My advice would be to always poke around a bit and find out if artists you’re considering commissioning are repeat offenders and known for long delays, it will help inform your decision.

23 hours ago, nathanlogan said:

Thanks for the feedback - I hope you're right, it does make sense and I absolutely want to take what he says to heart and read the writing on the wall and be patient. And I'd be fine with three months, even a year or longer, if he had said that from the get go. The fact he said 7-9 weeks and now it's 10 months is what has me worried honestly. Not sure about naming the artist just yet as I'm a really big fan of his and don't want to be on his sh*t list. But if I hit the one-year mark since paying and nothing than I suppose I should put it out there. Especially if I don't get a response from him after multiple e-mails. 

I e-mailed him again today, I feel like a nice one, just letting him know I was getting concerned and would love a reply. I don't think after what I paid it is too much to ask.

In the mean time I'd love to hear more stories from people on their commission experiences from established artists, positive and negative.

you're worried about 10 months? possibly one year? That's a fairly short time compared to some of the experiences shared on a similar thread years ago.  I had to wait 7 years for a painting, and a buddy waiting 10 years for a sketch.

7 years and 10 years is a long time. A lot can happen in that amount of time. That's way too long. Wondering, did you pre-pay for your commission? Why I posted this was to get feedback and am happy to get it.

I would not care about the 10 month wait or even longer if that's what was said in the beginning. If an artist told me it would be 10 years at the time the commission was arranged that would be fine, I'd agree or not agree and go forward or not. But when a timeframe is stated and then it goes well beyond that it then runs into a question of reliability and honesty, and it seems to me that good communication and updates are really helpful when it goes well beyond whatever timeframe was originally given - even if it seems like a small amount of time compared to some other people's experiences.

Can I ask what you did while waiting 7 years? Did you inquire with the artist or have any exchanges? Did you ever worry about not receiving the commission at all? Was a timeframe given to you when you first arranged the commission? 

Thanks for the post and reply, am really appreciating everyone's feedback and thoughts.

There is a Facebook page called Comic Art Buyer Beware and which lists a whole host of miscreants. You may want to see if your artist falls within that list. And, if it is Jim Kyle or Ale Garza, ... good luck.

Also, if you paid by Paypal, there can be resort for someone who makes a timely claim for reimbursement (you may be too late, by the way). 

I have never paid an advance for a commission, although I have offered it a few times. The ones I most respect have turned it down and absorbed the risk. I also would never consider paying more than half up front.

In the future, try getting creative. Say a lesser percentage up front, and if the artist gets it done to your satisfaction within "X" months, you will give him a bonus of "Y". Make sure you give him enough time, and don't chisel him out of the bonus if it isn't perfect. No commission is ever perfect.

51 minutes ago, nathanlogan said:

7 years and 10 years is a long time. A lot can happen in that amount of time. That's way too long. Wondering, did you pre-pay for your commission? Why I posted this was to get feedback and am happy to get it.

I would not care about the 10 month wait or even longer if that's what was said in the beginning. If an artist told me it would be 10 years at the time the commission was arranged that would be fine, I'd agree or not agree and go forward or not. But when a timeframe is stated and then it goes well beyond that it then runs into a question of reliability and honesty, and it seems to me that good communication and updates are really helpful when it goes well beyond whatever timeframe was originally given - even if it seems like a small amount of time compared to some other people's experiences.

Can I ask what you did while waiting 7 years? Did you inquire with the artist or have any exchanges? Did you ever worry about not receiving the commission at all? Was a timeframe given to you when you first arranged the commission? 

Thanks for the post and reply, am really appreciating everyone's feedback and thoughts.

I paid in advance and was in constant communication with the artist.  There was extenuating circumstances that added to the turnaround time, which I don’t want to mention as the artist is no longer with us.

Yes....outing an artist as a deadbeat or offending their “sensitive” nature can lead to getting “Michael Goldened.”

I will not revisit that further. I am sure one of our knowledgeable board friends here will share the dreaded commission pic....

ok ok a hint 

$537

Gerry Turnbull

Edited by grapeape

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I paid in advance and was in constant communication with the artist.  There was extenuating circumstances that added to the turnaround time, which I don’t want to mention as the artist is no longer with us.

Anything can happen at any time and there are a lot of things that are bigger and much important than a commissioned piece of art. That I absolutely get and is more than understandable.