• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Commission how long is too long and what to do
1 1

62 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Zero need whatsoever for apologies, good man !  'tis a wee trifling matter. Would love to see Golden's take on grape + ape. lol

A legend draws another legend(in his own mind), 🍇 🦍 Curse of the Virue 💀 

😂

3 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

This "half up front, remaining half upon completion" is always my preference as well.  It just seems like the fairest arrangement for everyone, since both parties have some skin in the game.  

If you don't mind me asking, as an artist what would you feel is the best approach for the person on the other end of the transaction to take if they find themselves in a situation where the completion date has been pushed out past a reasonable point.  I think a lot of folks fear that if they get too pushy then the piece will get rushed, with the final results reflecting that.

Also, something I didn't mention in my previous post, but I always try to make sure that the idea behind a commission project is one that the artist is fully on board with and enthusiastic about (usually I'll pitch 2 or 3 ideas and let them pick the one that most inspires them).  It's just a gut feeling, but I can't help but imagine that if the artist likes the general idea of a piece, the end results will be all the better.  In your experiences, is there any truth to that?  

since i'm always prompt with my commissions, i can't say from experience. i think it's all about communication though. i know two friends who each had to wait over a year for oil painting commissions that they paid for up front. one artist was clear that he had to finish an exhibiton first. the other artist is just super busy and also had alot going on. 

i honestly don't know what i would do, but past a certain point, i'd want to make contact to make sure i was not being scammed. it sounds like many comic artists are terrible at this part of the profession. working through some kind of agent is helpful since theres a nice middle person that can help with communication. but of course they take a cut.

with my commissions, i usually insist on creative control. if a customer has a great idea for an image that i'd love to paint, then i'm all in. but i generally just ask for a general idea of their favorite works of mine, and go from there.

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

Bruce Timm is unbearable!!! 

He won’t draw what I want. Haha....he’s not unbearable but yes at the last convention you had to sign on a list and you could put what character you wanted. But Bruce would draw what he wanted instead for a flat $200. At the end of the day you may or may not want what he drew for you. So you don’t pay he sells to someone else. 
Ecentric? Hell yes! I loved it. Some didn’t. I asked him up front, “Bruce who do you NOT want to draw.” Please don’t ask me for Harley, or Batman.,,,.”

Haha!!! Of course—for us it’s fresh for a creative artist it’s like oh no not again.

In other words, make your own experiences. 

🍇.....🦍

I have a fond memory of getting a quick convention sketch from Bruce Timm at San Diego in 2003 at the DC booth: 

Me: "Excuse me Mr Timm, would you be able to do a sketch in my book for me?" 

Bruce Timm: "Sure, but a very quick one and then I'm done. What would you like?" 

Me: "Uh, I always liked you Mr. Mxyzpltlk..." 

Bruce Timm: "There's no f***ing way I'm drawing that." 

Me (now nervous I made him mad and mumbling): "Oh... uh... how about Batman?" 

Bruce Timm: "Batman?" 

Me (still mumbling):  "Yeah, that would be super." 

Bruce Timm (now definitely annoyed): "Wait, do you want Batman or Superman?" 

Me (speaking up clearly): "Batman, please." 

It's one of my fave convention sketches ever. 

super.jpg

Edited by rlextherobot

1 hour ago, rlextherobot said:

I have a fond memory of getting a quick convention sketch from Bruce Timm at San Diego in 2003 at the DC booth: 

Me: "Excuse me Mr Timm, would you be able to do a sketch in my book for me?" 

Bruce Timm: "Sure, but a very quick one and then I'm done. What would you like?" 

Me: "Uh, I always liked you Mr. Mxyzpltlk..." 

Bruce Timm: "There's no f***ing way I'm drawing that." 

Me (now nervous I made him mad and mumbling): "Oh... uh... how about Batman?" 

Bruce Timm: "Batman?" 

Me (still mumbling):  "Yeah, that would be super." 

Bruce Timm (now definitely annoyed): "Wait, do you want Batman or Superman?" 

Me (speaking up clearly): "Batman, please." 

It's one of my fave convention sketches ever. 

super.jpg

He wanted to give you Superman 😂 

The guy is a character but I’m very fond of him!!!

On 9/16/2020 at 12:35 PM, nathanlogan said:

I know this theme has been posted before but I didn’t see anything recent so wanted to post something new and get some advice.

I’ve only commissioned a few art pieces in my life from lesser known artists and have been happy and received the work without a super long wait.

Last November I commissioned a very well known established artist for the first time. It was for a character I created and he said for a piece like that he would need the money up front and the time frame would be 7-9 weeks. He’s one of my all time favorite artists and well established so I trusted and went for it because I knew he would hit it out of the park and I’d appreciate the piece for years. 

Now it is 10 months and I’m still waiting. We traded emails back in February and he apologized and explained that he is slow on commissions, especially on original characters as he wants to get it just right, and it wouldn’t be much longer. He was very nice and we had a good exchange. I also bought a piece he had posted on CAF and that eventually did get sent to me along with some signed posters (which were just added as a bonus).

However I emailed him again a month ago just to check the status of the commission and no reply.

Reading threads about commissioning artists it seems clear now I should not have paid up front, but based on his status in the industry I figured there was absolutely nothing to worry about. And I don’t mind the wait, I am a bit concerned though that he wasn’t honest about the wait time when I first arranged the commission.

I’d love to hear people’s comments on similar situations, and how to move forward. It was not a small amount of money (which I think makes me more anxious - I don’t want to feel someone has stolen from me, especially someone I’ve looked up to for years) - but honestly it’s the piece I really want, and maybe some communication. 

Thanks for anyone’s comments and stories...

Nathanlogan hope all these stories cheer you. I’m very hopeful things will turn out all right!

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

Nathanlogan hope all these stories cheer you. I’m very hopeful things will turn out all right!

For sure, and I don't think the wait so far has been too bad based on other stories, and he is at the very top of my all-time favorite list - but alas, three e-mails now have gone unanswered since June. Trying to keep the faith though.

I’ve been trying for couple years now to get Bruce to draw or get a commission from him of Namor . Very very hard to do as he rarely draws what you want . I borderline harassed his art rep Albert Moy and learned that Al has zero say in Timms choice or art. I won’t give up on getting that special colour piece from him . Being in Canada complicates things even more .....

On 9/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, Twanj said:

Were you able to enjoy the piece after that?

no. It was teddy kristiansen. It was supposed to be b/w, which I wanted for his stark style but then he went rogue out of guilt I guess and did a small color piece. It was uninspiring.

25 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I’ve been trying for couple years now to get Bruce to draw or get a commission from him of Namor . Very very hard to do as he rarely draws what you want . I borderline harassed his art rep Albert Moy and learned that Al has zero say in Timms choice or art. I won’t give up on getting that special colour piece from him . Being in Canada complicates things even more .....

Timm turned me down through Albert on a Clea. I will try again I guess but it was a bummer. I waited and waited at home until the list opened up and bam, was on it the first minute or two. $1800 I think. Then a few months later I get a no. I love his Clea.

Edited by Bird
and Garza had a brain tumor I believe!

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Timm turned me down through Albert on a Clea. I will try again I guess but it was a bummer. I waited and waited at home until the list opened up and bam, was on it the first minute or two. $1800 I think. Then a few months later I get a no. I love his Clea.

His pieces are super expensive for the size no offence that’s fine at least let customer choose their character. I work hard for my money it’s my right to buy or choose what I please . Some can argue it’s his right to turn you down but I’m leaning to the spender having more say here . 

19 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

His pieces are super expensive for the size no offence that’s fine at least let customer choose their character. I work hard for my money it’s my right to buy or choose what I please . Some can argue it’s his right to turn you down but I’m leaning to the spender having more say here

Wrong, if you did, you would have your piece. Having money doesn't entitle a customer to be able to get what they want. For many artists it works this way but the artist always reserves the right to draw what they like. 

Edited by JadeGiant

These situations are so unique and it can vary greatly. There could be nothing to worry about or you could be in for a lot of work to get your art. You may get the best commission you have ever received or get nothing but a headache. I always advocate for doing your homework up front when considering a sizable commission. Ask questions of people who have commissioned the artist - how was the experience, were parameters discussed, etc. Asking after the fact and without details is tough. I wish you the best of luck!

Great advice and most artists I’ve worked with are very good. Notable ones that wouldn’t consider doing a character I want is Adi Granov, Bruce Timm and even Jim Lee does not allow any input into the art which is fine he tends to do your character at least 

Edited by Subby1938

15 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

Great advice and most artists I’ve worked with are very good. Notable ones that wouldn’t consider doing a character I want is Adi Granov, Bruce Timm and even Jim Lee does not allow any input into the art which is fine he tends to do your character at least 

... and most artists are more than willing to do a specific request. The names you shared are good examples of artists who have worked their way into the upper echelon of comic artists and that comes with perks like being more selective with commissions. And who knows, maybe they will change their mind with time and do a piece tomorrow that they won't do today. 

I am also waiting for a commission from November.  My second from this artist.  First one was done fast and he went over and above.  He still answers my emails and says it's in the works but won't say why the delay.  It isn't a big money piece, but $150 means something to me. 

The longest I have waited was about 2 years.  Was supposed to be a Batman bust, but he (not the same as above) ended up sending me a full body gray tone.  

8 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

... and most artists are more than willing to do a specific request. The names you shared are good examples of artists who have worked their way into the upper echelon of comic artists and that comes with perks like being more selective with commissions. And who knows, maybe they will change their mind with time and do a piece tomorrow that they won't do today. 

It does happen. Keith Giffen does not like the Phantom Stranger, to put it mildly. And he had previously expressed no interest in doing a sketch for me. At one convention, however, I turned up with a baby present for an artist he has mentored (but who wasn’t there), and I asked him if he could give it to her (he said yes). When casually talking to his granddaughter who was sitting with him, I mentioned what I collect. Next thing I know, he is doing a quick sketch. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

It does happen. Keith Giffen does not like the Phantom Stranger, to put it mildly. And he had previously expressed no interest in doing a sketch for me. At one convention, however, I turned up with a baby present for an artist he has mentored (but who wasn’t there), and I asked him if he could give it to her (he said yes). When casually talking to his granddaughter who was sitting with him, I mentioned what I collect. Next thing I know, he is doing a quick sketch. 

That's smooth, Rick dawg... real smooth.  B-)  Hurrah!

Edited by exitmusicblue