• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance in comics after other media
1 1

49 posts in this topic

Blanket, opinionated statement: Comics should not be worth more when a character first appears in other media. The first appearance in comics of Boba Fett or Ahsoka or Harley Quinn should not be worth more than any other comic they appear in, because their actual first appearance is in other media. 

Discuss!

25 minutes ago, Stephen Beer said:

Blanket, opinionated statement: Comics should not be worth more when a character first appears in other media. The first appearance in comics of Boba Fett or Ahsoka or Harley Quinn should not be worth more than any other comic they appear in, because their actual first appearance is in other media. 

Discuss!

Boba Fett first appeared in a 1978 cartoon... OK.

But why shouldn't a 1980 appearance of Boba Fett in a comic book be worth more than a 2020 appearance of Boba Fett in a comic book? (shrug)

Real Ghostbusters #1 (the UK edition) is the first comic appearance of the Ghostbusters, but it's not as common (let alone known) as the US version, thus should be worth quite a bit - more so if it still has the original badge attached to the over; not to mention there's not one single copy that has been graded by CGC as of yet. That may be an exception to the "shouldn't be worth more" precept lol

s-l1600.jpg&key=d0e93e2d3dd6318de3caa79a8f3e3c56016ba2a9834d3b0a7bb786eccb51f71a

7 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Real Ghostbusters #1 (the UK edition) is the first comic appearance of the Ghostbusters, but it's not as common (let alone known) as the US version, thus should be worth quite a bit - more so if it still has the original badge attached to the over; not to mention there's not one single copy that has been graded by CGC as of yet. That may be an exception to the "shouldn't be worth more" precept lol

s-l1600.jpg&key=d0e93e2d3dd6318de3caa79a8f3e3c56016ba2a9834d3b0a7bb786eccb51f71a

Oh man, that badge application is making me twitch. 

Is it tape?  Is it a button?  

Patrick

3 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Oh man, that badge application is making me twitch. 

Is it tape?  Is it a button?  

Patrick

It sure is haha - it's a very old-ish comic lol

FYI: take a look at the price for Star Wars' Ahsoka's first appearance in the comics ~

Edited by Bart Allen

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I disagree to an extent.

I don't think that a "1st comic book appearance" should be worth as much in comparison to a "1st appearance" (period) in which the medium is comic books.

So you don't agree with Harley, Batman Beyond and Ahsoka?

But I understand where you're coming from ~

Just now, Bart Allen said:

So you don't agree with Harley, Batman Beyond and Ahsoka?

But I understand where you're coming from ~

I'll see if I can clarify.

If Spawn #1 was worth $100, then I do not think that Harley's 1st appearance in comics should be worth $100. I do, however, think it should be worth more than cover price.

It's a "1st appearance" in sort. It's just not a 1st appearance to the world. I could be making a bad argument, though, because this may open up the door for "preview appearances".

17 hours ago, Stephen Beer said:

Blanket, opinionated statement:

Oh, we don't have those on this board.

Spoiler

;)

Seriously though, comic collectors want the first appearance in a comic book or comic magazine. It makes no difference that Harley Quinn first appeared outside of comics or that Scooby Doo did as well. Comic collectors want the first comic appearance thus the higher value of the comic.

Edited by Grandmaster B

5 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

It sure is haha - it's a very old-ish comic lol

FYI: take a look at the price for Star Wars' Ahsoka's first appearance in the comics ~

its a low print run really hard to find in high grade super popular character and shes gonna be in the mandalorian season 2 so yeah I think thats a good price for it

17 hours ago, Stephen Beer said:

Discuss!

So should Amazing Spider-man 1 be worth the same as Amazing Spider-man 100 because all these comics came after Amazing Fantasy 15? I, like you, don't care as much to get the first comic appearance of a character not native to comics, but the statement about comics being worth the same as others makes no sense to me.

28 minutes ago, William-James88 said:
18 hours ago, Stephen Beer said:

Discuss!

So should Amazing Spider-man 1 be worth the same as Amazing Spider-man 100 because all these comics came after Amazing Fantasy 15? I, like you, don't care as much to get the first comic appearance of a character not native to comics, but the statement about comics being worth the same as others makes no sense to me.

Exactly!  The comment that one comic with a character "should not be worth more than any other comic" with that character is completely ridiculous. 

@Stephen Beer is literally saying that Boba Fett in Star Wars #42 (1980) "should not be worth more than any other comic" with Boba Fett, up to and including whatever Boba Fett comic is still being printed today.

:roflmao:

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Exactly!  The comment that one comic with a character "should not be worth more than any other comic" with that character is completely ridiculous. 

@Stephen Beer is literally saying that Boba Fett in Star Wars #42 (1980) "should not be worth more than any other comic" with Boba Fett, up to and including whatever Boba Fett comic is still being printed today.

But remember, if that boba fett comic printed today has a imited Dell otto cover, it could be worth even more than Star Wars 42.

Just now, William-James88 said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

But remember, if that boba fett comic printed today has a imited Dell otto cover, it could be worth even more than Star Wars 42.

But according to @Stephen Beer both the Star Wars #42 and the super-limited brand new Boba Fett variant would need to be worth the same as Boba Fett "When the Fat Lady Swings" - which is about $0.99.

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'll see if I can clarify.

If Spawn #1 was worth $100, then I do not think that Harley's 1st appearance in comics should be worth $100. I do, however, think it should be worth more than cover price.

It's a "1st appearance" in sort. It's just not a 1st appearance to the world. I could be making a bad argument, though, because this may open up the door for "preview appearances".

The free market throws all the "shoulds" out of the window. If collectors want that first comic with Harley Qunn more than they want Spawn's first appearance, than so be it. Supply an demand and all that. 

We can say this for anything (fun example to follow) 

14 minutes ago, Stephen Beer said:

Agreed, I phrased that poorly.

What did you mean then? Honestly curious. 

Because even the other way around it doesn't work. Look at Alf. The comic book that is worth the most featuring him is not the first comic he appears in but the 50th or so.

Alf # 48 - Controversial Risqué Seal cover NM- Cond. | eBay

Is that ok? In the end, the free market reigns supreme.