• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of card? raw or graded?

6 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Xplosivebrew said:

Looking into submitting some cards potentially and I am curious when selecting the value of the card is it the raw value, do you declare a value based on what you think it will grade, or after they are graded you input the values?

Thanks.

Assign a value to the card as it is now, raw/ungraded.

I have been seeing people say Raw ungraded and others saying the estimated graded value. I just had to send a message to CGC asking what the answer is so hopefully I hear back soon in case I have to change all my values. But until I hear from them I decided to just go with the corresponding values of whatever I think the grade will end up being for each card.

It would be a lot easier if it was just the Raw ungraded values but that wouldn't really make sense considering it will be used to insure your collectibles.

I hope all goes or went well with your submissions!

• Administrator

It is your insurance value. For example, if you submit a 1st Edition Base Set Charizard and value it at $100 to sneak it onto an Economy submission and it grades a 9, it will be bumped to the appropriate tier of Walkthru, but your card will still only be insured for $100. If we ship it back to you via our insured option of USPS and it is lost, the USPS is only going to give you $100 for that card.

Paul

On 9/16/2020 at 7:52 PM, Xplosivebrew said:

Looking into submitting some cards potentially and I am curious when selecting the value of the card is it the raw value, do you declare a value based on what you think it will grade, or after they are graded you input the values?

How much money would you want back from CGC in case they lost your card, to make up for the loss? That's the value you write down.

Declared value is for insurance. Look around on eBay or a similar auction site for finished listings of graded cards in similar condition to yours, and use that general amount for the field. For example, Iet's say you have a secret rare Salamence VMAX, and a graded secret rare Salamence VMAX in similar shape is going for about $90 on average, so that's the ballpark of what you'd put for the declared value. So, if the card was lost in the mail, that's roughly how much you'd lose, and how much you'd want to get back.