• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone think this is a good deal or i want to own a comic store!
1 1

39 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:
3 hours ago, valiantman said:

They could be real - sell 100 grab bags for $50 each and put a $2,000 Hulk #181 in one of them.  You still make $5,000 and only spend $2,000.  The rest of the grab bags are drek, but you can advertise the heck out of your Hulk #181 winner all over the facetwittergram.

It would also be super easy to make sure your friend won the comic, or just not ship it out at all and make an extra 2 grand. I participate in somewhat high dollar raffles online. The raffle holder has to be reputable and the way I’ve seen it done that makes rigging the raffle least likely is to pull numbers from a box where the last number pulled is the winner. There’s still ways to skew the odds, and I’ve seen raffles where the cousin of the guy hosting the raffle wins the car or whatever, so I’d say participate with caution

I would never participate.  I'm saying that there are legitimate ways to do grab bags as long as the profit is far above the cost, even $2,000 books might be in there.  After all, people really do win lotteries, but the correct play is to never play the lottery.

Its not the worst.  If I was local AND opening a comic store AND they gave me the arcade (assuming it works) AND the Deadpool statue and all the fixtures and the cash register, I'd pay $1K if they helped me load up the van AND gave me a receipt somewhat detailed receipt for tax purposes.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

I would never participate.  I'm saying that there are legitimate ways to do grab bags as long as the profit is far above the cost, even $2,000 books might be in there.  After all, people really do win lotteries, but the correct play is to never play the lottery.

The lottery has some sort of oversight so even if the odds are one in a million they’re higher than nothing 

14 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

The lottery has some sort of oversight so even if the odds are one in a million they’re higher than nothing 

This is true. Your chances of winning the lottery are ALMOST nothing, but it's an honest almost nothing. Whereas the odds of winning a raffle largely center around whether or not the person running it is honest. And the only person that knows if that is true is the person doing the raffle.

Have we ever had a thread asking for examples of boardies who've actually won one of these raffles? I'd be curious to see the results. Am too lazy to make a thread though.

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

This is true. Your chances of winning the lottery are ALMOST nothing, but it's an honest almost nothing. Whereas the odds of winning a raffle largely center around whether or not the person running it is honest. And the only person that knows if that is true is the person doing the raffle.

Have we ever had a thread asking for examples of boardies who've actually won one of these raffles? I'd be curious to see the results. Am too lazy to make a thread though.

I would hope that most here are smart enough to avoid them.:wishluck:

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I do know this-altho ebay says chance listings are forbidden, I have reported and called ebay about dozens of 'grab bags'.  Not one was ever taken down.
I have also messaged grab baggers and asked why none of their feedbacks ever show a winner and they state not everyone leaves feedback.  I can assure you if I won Hulk 181 in a grab bag I would leave feed back like crazy.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:17 AM, kav said:

I also avoid comic grab bags on ebay.  Never saw a feedback that said OMG I GOT THE HULK 181!

I bought one grab bag in my life and actually won ASM 252 about 10-12 years ago.

As for this lot, when the first image of the video shows 90s Turok, I just chuckle and wish the “winner” of this auction good luck. 

4 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I bought one grab bag in my life and actually won ASM 252 about 10-12 years ago.

As for this lot, when the first image of the video shows 90s Turok, I just chuckle and wish the “winner” of this auction good luck. 

ASM 252 you can get those.  Grab bags with Hulk 181 or ASM 1-I have my doubts.

Just think abt the mechanics of a bag grab-lets say its legit.  Lets say its Hulk 181-the seller has to sell many bags to recoup.  Lets say the first buyer gets the Hulk 181 and posts feedback OMG I GOT IT THX!!
NOW WUT

On 9/17/2020 at 8:52 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Yup

This collection is now the definition of worthless drek.

I’d rather get mugged for $4K & have nothing than be stuck with this carp.

I would make your dreams come true but come on, you'll too poor to have that much money on you, chump. 

On 9/17/2020 at 8:52 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Yup

This collection is now the definition of worthless drek.
I’d rather get mugged for $4K & have nothing than be stuck with this carp.

Well, at almost double the price in terms of $10,000 CDN or about $7,500 USD, it looks like this buyer here appears to have gotten a much better deal, even though they generally all appear to be Western books:  :luhv:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/475388-recent-collection-from-canada/

On 9/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, cheetah said:

Updated video.  He paid $1 a book.

Edited by lou_fine