• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November Comiclink Auction Thread
2 2

88 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

By the way, I also think the 3 or 4 Xmen issues that BWS did in the late 80's are drawn at least as well as anything he's ever done in comics, including any of his Conan work. The ink line is rather different, but just as great (better?). Even the coloring he did is next level and stretched what was possible within the limited pallet and techniques that were available in that era.

Carry on.

his coloring was frickin' brilliant.    The Machine Man LS was the best bit of coloring I can remember in comics, hands down, until that point in time.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:39 AM, delekkerste said:

I think Scott is right in that '80s/'90s BWS was more consistent, maybe even more dynamic/energetic as he posits.  But, if you look at The Song of Red Sonja, Red Nails, Worms of the Earth, Tupenny Conan and the best of his Studio-era works from the '70s, and then compare that output to Conan Saga, Weapon X, his later Marvel covers and his Valiant work from the mid-80s to mid-90s...well, I would, personally, find it very difficult to argue that the former group doesn't represent Peak BWS.  

That said, I do recognize that much of it is personal preference; earlier BWS is more steeped in classical artistic traditions while later BWS has a more modern, individualistic sensibility about it  

I'm with you, Gene. Red Nails is my favorite BWS work. Frost Giant's daughter after that. Weapon X was fine, but I didn't like it as much.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:16 AM, stinkininkin said:

I've looked at this image a million times, and never noticed the length on that left arm. Thanks for ruining my day Gene. lol

Seriously, I agree generally about some of the odd BWS career anatomy/drawing quirks, but this one seems like total artistic license. The arm is that long because he needed it to be to pull off the impaling. Could it have been achieved without the extension? Of course, but to my eye the design, drawing and storytelling still works.  And I think I disagree with Gene in that I think the mid 80's-early mid 90's BWS might be peak BWS. I think Barry's drawing is consistently better than during my personal nostalgic peak of late Conan Red Nails/Song of Red Sonja/Studio stuff. His ink line is also a little more free and energetic during this later period too, which I appreciate. 

But none of this is why this piece might surprise on the upside at auction. BWS Weapon X is hot, this era is hot, and the image is as good as it gets under that umbrella. All the things Gene mentions.

If some guy off the street drew this and showed it to the Marvel guys, they'd say " Sorry, you need to work on your anatomy"  haha  

1 minute ago, Kevin76 said:

If some guy off the street drew this and showed it to the Marvel guys, they'd say " Sorry, you need to work on your anatomy"  haha  

They told Rob Liefeld that once and he simply refused to draw feet.

?attachment_id=1131462