• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November Comiclink Auction Thread
2 2

88 posts in this topic

I was pleased as an Adams fan, and frankly surprised, that the GL76 page got to where it did given that it has ping-pong'ed back and forth between various dealers, as well as at least two private collectors, over the past few years. When you have a book as key as GL76 and a growing dearth of prime Adams pages come to market, I suppose a page like that becomes more resistant to over-exposure.

For me, the more appealing Adams piece was the killer Deadman page from SA209.....most memorable page from the run for me and the perfect example of both character/story and of Adams ground-breaking composition and style - and fresh-to-market to boot.

8 hours ago, awayne83 said:

I tried for a short time to move this early in the year on both eBay and these boards for 4k obo without so much as an inquiry. I’ve had the same happen at other times over the last year or two, getting more at auction than asking on other sites. 

Unless you’re a known commodity in the hobby, the comfort and/or exposure certain avenues provide buyers/bidders is almost certainly worth the fee associated with consigning from a financial standpoint imo. (I’ve taken a bath on a few pieces as well, but overall done alright as I’ve navigated the hobby the last 4 or so years since entering)

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dsiege%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1429346&id=1429346&itemType=1

This Coipel Siege #4 cover was for sale for $4200 a few months ago. It sold at HA in 8/2018 for $3360. That seemed like a healthy bump but not outrageous. For some stupid reason, I figured it'd sell at CL for a few hundred +/- the asking price.

I've picked up 3 Thor covers by Coipel since July and had the fever for more. The owner of the Siege cover contacted me about trading one of my covers for the Siege plus some cash.

I like this cover (great depictions of Avengers main characters) but I don't like the "60% of page used" style for these Siege covers, all the extra minor characters (3-4) that I wasn't familiar with (Young Avengers' Patriot, Hulkling and Wiccan), and also wasn't familiar with the series. I ended up reading Siege, and the art was of course amazing but it seemed pretty forgettable? Not bad, but not good. Was Siege a well known event? I didn't read new comics for about 30 years :) It's also affixed to a foam core board, and after a couple emails to CL without response about that I didn't bid.

...but that didn't stop it for selling for $5200. So I would say the CL fees made up for it.

Congrats to whoever got it! LOL I now regret not picking it up!

Edited by Twanj

12 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

A few thoughts on the C-Link auction:

TMNT art got some really strong prices. I just read the first 12 issues for the first time in November and the series is quite good, especially those earlier stories, so this isn't as much of a surprise as it used to be for me. Being new to that market, is there a big TMNT original art collecting group or just a few people who are rabid for early pages and pinups?

Yes, TMNT has been very strong lately, both comics and art. Precovid both were steady increasing but like most collectibles lately, a surge has occurred. With this auction, there's been three 5 figure art sales just this past month. I was the underbidder on a couple of pieces in the clink auction, the issue 10 and 11, and actually feel like I should have pushed more as they were great examples and went for a great price.

The first 15 issues (Issues 1-11, plus the 4 Turtle Micro, and Fugitoid) are THE best Turtles stories and art. It was right after this, around issue 12, that the Turtles started to blow up in pop culture with the toys, cartoon, movie, etc. so Eastman and Laird quit art for the most part after that initial run. If you're looking for some other good early Turtles comics, check out Return to New York arc issues 19-21 and the City at War issues 50-62 that both Eastman and Laird had involvement with as well.

Regarding art collectors...not really a large community that actively shares and talks art. For a number of years, what little art would pop at auction would end up in my collection. Nobody seemed to really be buying. But that's change substantially these past few years. Now, most art that I see sell just disappears into the nether. Rarely show up on dealer sites, CAF, elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

The buyer of the GL76 page is super stoked to have picked it up.  He also wishes that those of you who ran him up didn't run him up as much as you did :baiting: 

Decide to swing your massive......  I'll let you finish the sentence :)